1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Atrributes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

The men who wrote vedas had a lot of time with them and they liked to weave concepts and complicate things. As a woman illiterate to vedas - here is my 2 cents.

i think prakriti is constant. Prakriti or nature does not change. It is purush’s attitude or judgment that changes from satvic to rajasic and tamsic. It is purush who judges things or events as good or bad.
    And should someone or something be good or bad? Bad people do good things and good people do bad things!

Concepts from vedas are good to pass time but in our short and meaningless life if we are useful to people around us they will say few good words after our death. If we were useless then we will definitely be badmouthed, doesn’t matter if we were satvic or not or had a satvic career or not.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Ramyaarc,

Thank you for sharing your take on your understanding of Prakriti and Purusha. In my humble view, to be good to everyone around, one should have satvic qualities.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

a difficult read but well thought out. We all inherently understand our gunas and as we move along life, try to correct ourselves to bring that state of peace and joy in our lives to the extent possible. As I read through your snippet a couple times and had a chance to mull over it while trying to find time for response, the two things that came to mind are Yoga Sutras (of course!) and Bhavad Gita.

Patanjali in his eternal wisdom says, "Yogas chitta vritti nirodha" and continues the next sutra as "Tada Drashtuh Svarupe Avasthanam" but goes onto offer us 196 sutras in 4 chapters to get to that state of quiet so that we can experience that third sutra! We cretainly need lifetimes even to just read!

And then, Krishna in the Gita goes on to say
    "manuṣhyāṇāṁ sahasreṣhu kaśhchid yatati siddhaye
    yatatām api siddhānāṁ kaśhchin māṁ vetti tattvataḥ" simply translated "Amongst thousands of persons, hardly one strives for perfection; and amongst those who have achieved perfection, hardly one knows me in truth." (source internet)

Add to these truths, imgine the karmic baggage we all carry, working some knots out while adding some here and there :facepalm: or more. Even though it is not visible to us, I believe every one is trying their best to improve their lives physically, materialistically and/or spirtually. Noone else puts it better for me than Bach when he says “Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you. You are all learners, doers, teachers.” We are all indeed learners, doers and teachers at various phases/points in life and reading reminders from people like you helps us stay on the path as much as we can! Thank you!

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Viswamitra

Veterans before me posted & responded seemingly enriched the thread with additional inputs to make it easy for future readers to grasp what you had posted.

If virtues are attributes, every one is good person in some way or the other.

Why striving to be good? Good in relation to what? These questions arise in my mind.
    The subject is esoteric and am novice still.

I think Tamil Saint Thirumoolar said about the attributes in his works thousands of years before. Thiruvalluvar too.

Andaththil Ullathu Pindathilum Ullathu” = What is found in the Universe is in human Body. Yat Pinde Tad Brahmaande is the Sanskrit saying.

All attributes in Macrocosm is in microcosm. I do not know it is relevant here!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

What a delightful response from you! I really liked that quote from Bach, “Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you. You are all learners, doers, teachers.”

Frankly, when I write these type of snippets, I learn more. Even if I fail many times, I keep trying to do it to confirm that it is doable if I keep trying.

Every time you say something about Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, it kindles my interest to read it. I just wonder how elevating it would be to write Yoga Sutra.

Sloka 3 - Chapter 7 of Bhagavad Gita is intented to indicate the effort needed for us to know the Truth. Every mountain we climb is achieved by taking one step at a time. Most important lesson is not to give up and keep trying.

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

Every response here is invaluable. Smt. Jayasala has enriched this snippet so much by her wonderful feedback. All these isoteric right living attributes are written so that we will have a guideline to benchmark our attributes until we experience the qualities of Brahman. Brahma Vidya comes in stages over several lives as we experience them and how we accept challeges, what mind set we have in adversities and how we evolve from our experiences. There is an inherent urge for everyone to cure themselves from the cycle of birth and death and when that becomes intense is dependent upon where each one of us are in our spiritual journey.

It is relevant that everything found in Macrocosm is also in Microcosm. We recognize this but fail to recognize the world is nothing but reflection of our thoughts. By changing the mind, we can change how the world appears to us.

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Joylokhi,

Thank you for your insight on this subject. Elders like you, Smt. Jayasala, Thyagarajan Sir and Cheeniya Sir are encouraging me to write more and more contemplating on this subject. Sabitha though younger than me is a very advanced spiritual being with great level of humility as well and her responses are always insightful. Frankly, everyone mentioned here are much advanced in your respectively spiritual quest and I am truly humbled when I hear that these articles help you to ponder more. I take it as your blessings to an aspirant.

It is a deep subject to debate whether Karma results in spiritual aspirations and practices or spiritual aspirations and practices have an effect on Karma. Our puranas describe that it worked both ways. Only thing that we know for sure is practicing right living enables us to handle adversities better.

joylokhi and Srama like this.