1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Atrributes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Everything in this universe has two elements namely a) one that enables everything to function (“Purusha”) and b) one that functions (Prakriti) as the manifestation of the basic element that enables everything to function. One that functions is also known as “Shetra” or “field” and another that enables is known as “Shetrajna”, one that pervades all that functions. What are the attributes of those that function? What is known as Macrocosm is the collective functioning of all that was created, and Microcosm is the individual components, a collection of which constitutes Macrocosm. Both collective and individual components are powered by Purusha. What defies the logic is how can something that is known as larger than Macrocosm be in each Microcosm as well?

According to Samkhya philosophy taught in Bhagavad Gita, there are three attributes that exist in all, including humans, in various degrees of concentration and combination. They also exist in all objects and natural products. Depending on the relative strengths and ratios, the attributes determine the nature of things, beings, their actions, behavior, attitude and attachments and their involvement with the objective world in which they live. The primary purpose of the attributes in the living beings is to obfuscate the Truth and create a bondage, through desires for sense objects, which leads to various attachments with them and which in turn keep them bound to the world and under the perpetual control of Prakriti.

These attributes are born from Prakriti. Generally, in our colloquial explanation we mention that divinity resides in each Microcosm. Realistically, all three attributes known as Satvic, Rajasic and Tamosic in the individual and Prakriti level reside in Purusha. There is only one without a second and all that was created is manifestation. When Tamosic quality is dominant, the component remains dormant and ignorant where the progressiveness is non-existent and when Rajasic quality is dominant, it performs actions through passion and desires which in turn creates cause and effect and an illusion that all actions are controlled by the component. When one is in Satvic quality, it delves into the knowledge of Purusha realizing the oneness of everything even though it is a temporary realization. Satvic quality gives the glimpse of blissful state and the burning desire to pursue it.

How do humans overcome these attributes that bind them? The parents can help their children to develop Satvic quality so that when they grow up, they will not only have pleasant and positive experiences but also right discretion in making their choices. If one pursues academic career according to the dominant nature, one will not suffer from conflict or stress and will have a better chance to succeed in life. Choosing a profession carefully according to one’s nature is essential and a chosen profession which conflicts with the nature can result in spiritual downfall. This selection should be supplemented by the life partner and friends one chooses by deciding whether it would be to compensate a nature that lacks requiring a balance or nature that need to be complimented. Lastly, the food habits will have to be conducive to the cultivation of Satvic quality. Why is it essential for human beings to develop dominant Satvic quality?

Satvic quality is the gateway for one to realize the Truth behind the manifestation and overcome the illusion (“Maya”) that dominates during the manifestation stage. Satvic quality improves the vigor and the brilliance of the mind and body to penetrate the illusion. One can realize the true potential only by piercing through this illusion to see the brilliance of the light that illuminates all lives. There is a natural appetite for every human being to excel to the highest level of knowledge and happiness in life. All one needs to do is to break the shackles to remove himself from the captivity of worldly desires and pursuit of happiness through sense objects which results in attachments that bind one permanently to the prison of illusion.

Why should one remain oblivious to the Truth behind the existence? Why can’t one search for this placid centeredness that empowers the humanity? The purpose of life is to find this Truth and why should one dwell in this covert illusion? Why the humanity lacks the tenacity to overcome the enigma of illusion and resign to it as a way of life? Why should humanity look at knowledge and happiness within the confines of illusion when by overcoming this illusion, the humanity can become irreversibly placed in the reservoir of knowledge and infinite bliss and eradicate sufferings? One needs to make an effort without giving up.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    You have taken a complicated topic for discussion.
    First of we don'know what we don't know.
    Prakriti and Purusha are the two different aspects of the manifest Brahman, known as Isvara. They participate, regulate and implement the universal creative process. Prakriti means that which is found in its natural, unaltered form. Prakriti also means "that which gives shapes or forms" signifying Nature or pure energy.

Purusha is Manifested
    Brahman or the Creative consciousness that sets in motion the entire creative process with the help of His two aspects. Both Purusha and Prakriti are eternal, indestructible realities.
    Prakriti operates at two levels. Its lower nature, which consists of the eight-fold nature namely, earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, reason and the ego , while its higher nature consists of that (life force) by which all the living entities are upheld All the beings in the universe originate from this two fold Prakriti , the Adhibhuta aspect of God .

At the end of every cycle of creation, all the entities dissolve in the Universal Prakriti and at the beginning of every cycle of creation, God brings forth them again . Seated in Prakriti, Purusha creates all the living communities , and the whole creation itself, both moving and non-moving .

The concept of Purusha is well documented in the Vedas, especially in the Purushasukta of the Rigveda which describes how the worlds were created, beings came into existence, and the social order was established from the Purusha.
    The Purushas are said to be of two kinds: the perishable and the imperishable. The body is the perishable Purusha (nothing but Prakriti), while the soul is the Imperishable One ). The Supreme Purusha (Ishwara) is however neither of these. He is beyond the perishable (Prakriti) and higher than the Imperishable (inner Self), who sustains the three worlds by entering them . Since He is beyond the perishable and higher than the Imperishable (Self), He is called Purushottama (The Supreme Purusha) .

Prakriti is responsible for the illusion and the sense of duality. In the performance of actions, Prakriti is the cause, while in the enjoyment of pleasures and pain, Purusha is the cause

The soul in the body is different from Jiva (the living entity). The striving yogi perceives Him, as seated in the body enjoying the sense objects, united with the gunas, departing the body at the time of death, but the ignorant ones whose hearts are impure, do not perceive so even after much striving.
    At the time of death while the constituent elements of the individualized Prakriti go back to their respective Universal Elements, the indwelling Purusha and the jiva go to the higher or the nether worlds, depending upon the latter's past karma, and the place, time and manner of Its death

Correct knowledge and awareness of Purusha and Prakriti can be a true source of liberation for human beings. By understanding what is Prakriti and what is Purusha correctly, a yogi can develop perfect attitude towards both and develop right discrimination to perform desireless actions for self-realization. Thus, he who knows Purusha and Prakriti with its gunas, even if engaged in all types of actions, will not take birth again in this mortal world .
    In essence we have Purusha ,Prakruti,Jeeva,soul,Eswara .( purushotthma)
    Purusha seems to have a perishable part known as Prakruti and an
    imperishable part called Soul.Whether Jiva and soul are one and the same?While we think Purusha is super Consciousness,it is said that Eswara( purushoththama) is the Supreme.

With all these confusions in hand, is it necessary to search into the unknown realm or simply be a good human being without the knowledge of any of these things.Ignorance is BLISS!!!

Jayasala 42

3. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your wonderful response explaining what is given in Vedas. The question is, in real life, do we look for clarity or accept confusion as blissful? How do we remain a good human being when we experience pain, suffering and confusion in life? Is it possible to be blissful while we face difficulties one after another?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

A very complicated subject.

5. jayasala42

Dear Viswa,
    Dear viswa, I actually enjoyed your snippet a lot, read it thrice word by word.What a beautiful take it was!I appreciate your earnest attempts to educate one and all.It is an exceptional topic in the realm of highly spiritually oriented intellectuals.Definitely I don't belong to that category.This need not be taken as harsh remarks.It is just my opinion.Sorry if I have hurt you in any way.

I agree that there is pain and suffering in the world to every one
    with or without understanding all these things.We can tolerate pain and be calm ,have courage to face anything and accept whatever happens even if we dont understand a single syllable of Purusha, Prakrithi,jiva soul and Eswara.I have faced many problems in my 80 years of life. Success or failure is taken as experience.I feel that this attitude we can develop by practice .not necessarily with the knowledge of Purusha and prakruthi.There are people who are very inquisitive and eager to know many things. Let those people understand the hidden interpretations behind those purusha thatwas and be perennially happy. Let all others like me, who are ignorant and are not capable of dealing with those tuff issues,be satisfied with their knowledge in common topics like cooking, bringing up kids and enjoying fun and frolics, try not to harm others, serve people to the possible extent-these are all matters within the capability of all individuals .Let them not break their heads in immersing deep into the ocean of spirituality and lose themselves in the process.
    My sincere apologies,if you have been hurt anyway.Sorry.
    Jayasala 42

6. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

It is a complicated subject.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

I have so much respect for your spiritual knowledge and your opinions on my threads. There is no scope to get hurt by your responses. I revere you for your knowledge and I only seek blessings from you. Definitely, you don't need to apologize to me as you have expressed your deep understanding of Gunas and how they function.

My questions are more to learn from you than challenging your views.

I definitely understand your perspective and I am not only humbled by your words of appreciation which will encourage me to write more but also take it as your blessings.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. jayasala42

Thank you Viswa

Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

This is a very interesting read. Topics like this force our minds to think deeply.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Thank you for your feedback that these kind of topices are interesting to read and makes you think deeply. I sincerely appreciate your response here.