1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Awesome thread Viswa Sir and sharing your belief on forgiveness!!

Though old, I am glad it bubbled up and I got a chance to read it.

I see that the word "forgiveness" is used a certain way through this thread, is very different to the way "forgiveness" generally works ( one person does something, the other person says i forgive you ). The one described here is more profound that probably english language needs to have a different word to describe the same. The meaning should be close to "coming in terms with".

To start explaining the word, if we apply it to ourself, what do we do when we do mistakes. Maybe we made wrong choices in life, trusted the wrong people, were judgemental about someone, did something which resulted in pain to someone else, did not act with kindness and empathy towards someone.

We don't say, I am going to forgive myself. We come in terms with the decisions we made, the acts we did. We repent, correct ourselves, learn from it and try never to do it again. We do this all to self preserve, so we can get up in the morning the next day and do something worth while.

Similarly, when it comes to others who have betrayed us or caused harm and pain to us, to "self preserve", we have to come in terms with it. We have to understand that carrying the baggage will harm us and try to repent on getting into that situation, learn from it and try never to get into it again.

Every idea cannot be be fit into every circumstance in life. What of habitual offenders. The Taliban are torturing and controlling innocents. A rapist rapes someone repeatedly. The receiver of pain needs see how to get out of the situation and only after they are out of it and have positioned themselves not to suffer again by the offenders, can they come in terms with the new reality of life. If they are stuck in the same place, they really can't come in terms with what is happening to them.

Like everyone said, its tough to come in terms with a pain caused by someone else, when they are hovering around, living their happy lives, with not a care to what they did. We can't and shouldn't try to take revenge in most cases. Even if we can and do, it never works. We can't get to the right place of mind after that.

Even if one succeeds 25% of the time with forgiveness, they are much better off.

Thanks again for great post and subsequently posts, replies!!

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thank you for your excellent explanation by rewording it as "coming into terms with" as opposed to "forgive". As you said, it is difficult to come to terms when the offense is repeated especially by someone who is near and dear to us. Apart from everything you said, incest is another painful one where the emotions are hard to subside. Actually, reliving those incidents through emotions and reactions is as painful as the real incident and it is hard to eliminate anger, hatred and revengfulness in such cases. In order to improve the quality of life going forward, it becomes essential to overcome that as one repeatedly suffering for the mistake of others kills the quality of life.

As you said, even if we address a few hurtful feelings, it releases from those emotions and reactions.

Thoughtful likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thinking aloud:

What about situations like a husband who belittles wife in public and seems to take pleasure in it, or constantly taunts her about her unemployed status? Or in-laws who keep making comments to the DIL about her parents and their faults?

How can forgiveness be employed in these cases? Or does forgiveness apply more to actions that are past and not ongoing? Maybe a different coping mechanism is needed for such "current" living situations? Or a combination of forgiveness and another coping mechanism?

Viswamitra and Mistt like this.
  4. Viswamitra

In ongoing family situation, it is really difficult to forgive when one is not sure whether the wound would heal or not or fresh injuries will happen in the same wound again and again or not. Pent up emotions burns up people quickly for sure especially when they don’t have anyone to share. Standing up for self-esteem and self-preservation is the easiest and first solution in such situations, if possible. In fact, that might be a necessary step before even one finds whether forgiving would work or not. In some cases, standing up for one’s own self-esteem may heal one faster making forgiving redundant.It is not necessarily responding word for word. The second option is talking to a psychologist to release those emotions and in case of in-laws, if the spouse is supportive, sharing it with him or her. Living with such internal emotions and reactions is bad for health. Wherever forgiveness is not an option, those two might work.

Rihana likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sir,
    The act of forgiving an evil act so that the act no longer has any hold on you is something that is really profound. A few years ago I was having a very hard time with holding onto the resentment in my mind and was taking myself down slowly. I was looking through articles about how to let go of hurt from other people and came upon a speech by Elizabeth Smart. It was a powerful testimony. In it, she talks about forgiveness and how it’s for you and not for the other person. She also talks about how she decided to not give the perpetrators any more time than they had already stolen from her. Not another second! This video gave me a lot more than the books and articles I had read up until that point. It’s because she went through a personally harrowing experience and came out of it with deep scars but was able to heal, pull herself together and move forward. All while she was 15 years old. Sharing an excerpt of her speech here for anyone interested. It helped me immensely and I was able to move forward for my own sake. I still go to great lengths to protect myself from future hurt but I have let go of most of the resentment.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

@Laks09,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback and for sharing Elizabeth Smart’s testimony. I have heard this testimony before. I remember the time when she was kidnapped from her own bed. It was the worst nightmare for the girl and the parents. There is so much to learn from her testimony. Once there is an understanding that resentment affects us more than anyone else, forgiveness occurs naturally. Carrying someone in our heart especially when that someone hurt us in a way that changed our life is more miserable that the act of terror. This girl lives up to her last name.

Many blamed the family members of those who were massacred in Carolina Church, when they lined up to forgive Dillon Roof in the court for not having enough love for the people who were massacred. But frankly, they placed themselves to heal faster as they could not bring their family members back to life. Only those in that situation relate well but learning from these experiences is what people with discriminative power do.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Laks09 likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shri Viswa, Your beautiful thread on Forgiveness continues
    from 2015.I have also responded twice or thrice.Of course there is
    not even an iota of politics in it.It is purely a snippet tinged in spirituality.Today I received a mail by whatsapp purported to have been written by an army official. I have posted it in "Interesting Shares Column'.I would like Shri Viswa to go through the same .

Jayasala 42

8. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your kind words. I always enjoy reading your responses and learn so much from them. I will definitely read your post in "Interesting shares column".

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

There are people who nurse their hurt forgetting their own misdeeds or the agony they had caused to others.in a lighter vein one haughty owner of a company put up a board in the factory which read " to err is human but to forgive is not company's policy". We have to remember the saying that there is no saint without a past and sinner without a future" Pocket it and forget it was what my boss told me when I was hurt in my early twenties,by an arrogant chap. Both in our eighties we are good friends now perhaps waiting to see who will go first.
    SLN

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear SLN Sir,

When we forgive ourselves for our mistakes in order to make progress in our lives, we also need to give a chance to others also through our forgiveness. To err is human but repeating is sinful. Every experience teaches us lessons and we don't need multiple experiences to learn this lesson again and again.

Especially when we think hurt feeling creates more anxiety to us than the others who are responsible for it, it is obvious we need to work towards bringing our mind in order.