1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Do I Do All Day Long? How Do Housewives Answer This Question Convincingly?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by nayidulhan, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

People are always curious.But some people might be really looking for ideas to keep them busy:grinning-smiley-048:. However, If you're working, the question will be "do you cook?" if you're home-"what you do all day?" :)clap2: well done people, well done!!)

Now lets try to understand why these questions are coming?
    Firstly- when you're working you're compelled to be connected to your device almost all day everyday(atleast in most of the cases). So you wont be having time and people are curious to know how you manage(whether you swiggy it-so that they can bring in that healthy eating topic(?!))
    When you're home,you're not compelled to do all of those chores(are we?) SAHM mostly voluntarily feel accountable for all those undone work at home just because SAHM, and always keep on toes for the unsaid-"I'm not making money for the house"

However, Our close circle wont ask these questions and Our known people knows what we do all day.

Beyond this if someone else is curious- Tell them you're super busy that you couldn't recollect everything you do every day.

Lastly, you should take time for yourself before you burn out. :innocent:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    anika987 likes this.
  2. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

OP, This is an usual question to every women who took a break from a full time time job. This is only out of curiousity, nothing beyond that IMO. Colleagues try to learn from us how we keep occupied, whether we regret or feel happy about career break.
    There is no need to provide convincing answers to others about what you are doing at home. You are doing things you wish to do. if you get a sense of fulfillment continue doing what you enjoy. When someone asks you such questions, just tell them you need a break and this makes you happy at this time, just leave it there and divert to topics of your interest.

anika987 likes this.
  3. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Thanks @Tubinbataye for this thread :beer-toast1: Mothering in 1950s was 24 hrs/day
    Mothering in 1990s was 12 hrs/day
    Mothering in 2020s is 2hrs/ day

Any mum whi spends more than 2hrs with kids is either wasting away her time or is a 'helicopter parent'...

I am a working mother, I consider myself a dedicated mother but I do agree that sahms are dedicating more than I am. Sahms also should agree that I do more than 1 thing through out a day. There is no wrong in both.

Its just that when working mothers say 'I am as involved as a sahm' or sahm says 'I am contributing more than just a mother' ; its unfair on the other side as everyone got only 24/7 and those 8hrs are either spent at home or at office. Dont take credit for what you dont make.

Be proud of your choices. We cant be everything at the same time. This Sahm vs working topic is moot, unless one wants to harness 'joy' out of others choices labelling them as wrong. So low.

NOW likes this.
  4. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

The whole point of convincing someone the choices you make on how you spend your time, energy, money, resources etc is so lame. This is seen a lot in Indian families where everyone is constantly judging or expecting others to be a certain way. This stereo typing is exhausting and promotes herd mentality. These kind of questions and comments should be nipped in the bud before they come to bite you where you are wasting time on thinking and analysing about something so lame.

5. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

6. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

Aint the op :beer-toast1:

7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

What is it that trouble you - the question "what do you do all day long?" or the assumptions and implications behind the question?

The former is easy - "mostly things that are fulfilling" or "mostly things I love to do, so much so that I dont take breaks anymore"
    Long answer would be a sample of what you did last few days.

Now for the latter - well depends on what you think is their reason for asking ? If youa re not sure , just give them the benefit of doubt.

It is a full time job and more - what you are doing. People like you make the community a better place. So what if some around you dont recognize the value of it now, they will one day, maybe. Shrug!

On a separate note- please do make some time for self care -- think of it as a seva to yourself :)

radv likes this.
  8. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

upload_2021-8-4_12-56-30.gif

I think I started from the page 2... thanks for not rejecting my toast thou :)

@nayidulhan ... yes. Thankyou for starting this thread :beer-toast1: