Job Change After Age 50

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by ProudIndian, Jul 27, 2021.

1. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

good thread. lets be more specific. what is the skill you are talking or working on. is it web development/ mobile / backend or database or cloud or more niche line ml / ai.

pm roles have their own thing . need to get scrum or pmi certification.

ProudIndian likes this.
  2. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I m in web development and many related technologies

3. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

My take on this is - you either do it or don't. If you decide to go for it, then you have to make it fall in place - work hard, take guidance or do whatever it takes to get there OR just don't do it but do not attribute age factor for not doing this. I feel age brings us more wisdom and you should be able to use your time productively to get to the goal. Your experience should be able to give you the right direction so avoid the confusion of your age being a hindrance in your growth. When you can try to overcome other 'external' factors ,why can't you overcome this simple 'age' factor ?

ProudIndian likes this.
  4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

web is easy . here is trick i learnt . make a fake profile , same current skill set and differnt PI info . you will get emails from lot of recruiters. keep noticing the tech trends and catch up on that.

now most of web is react js , angular , vue . with good expertise in less/sass and other ui framesworks google material ui.

some folks throw in docker and cloud , so that uI devs can show case in their own enviromnent

copy those tags and make dummy apps. change your resume as working on those skills .

ProudIndian likes this.
  5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

here you go.

this site is usefull in following trends

https://dev.to/theme_selection/reac...er&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digest_email

ProudIndian likes this.
  6. shilpamaroli

shilpamaroli Senior IL'ite

Message from Taj CSR Head

Dear All,

If any women you know have taken break in career and want to resume their career , but not getting a breakthrough..

Here is the chance! Tata group has programme to help such women professionals. They will be interviewed , trained and placed in different and appropriate job positions within Tata group of companies.
    If anyone interested please register online
    Tata SCIP - Second Careers. Inspiring Possibilities

Spread the word, it might help capable and aspiring woman somewhere :)
    COVID WOMEN HELP

If you know a woman who has lost her sole earning member of the household to Covid and is now looking for a job, please ask her to sign up here. This is an initiative started by industry leaders to help women who need skill development, career counselling, and to find a job after a long career break or for the first time ever.

Thanks

7. shilpamaroli

shilpamaroli Senior IL'ite

Received the above message as a forward from a valid source. Please do give a try and see.

8. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I have 20 plus years strong experience in good technologies. I can get good job very fast. I worked is lot of demanding environment so I want to slow down now for several reasons.

I keep hearing from some people after 50 it’s difficult to grasp new technologies fast. All companies prefer younger candidates blah blah. That’s why I was asking if anyone went through similar situations.

9. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

:)

i do not know how old you are. if you are in 30s or 40s.

then change your focus, think of building a passive income that gets a month living by you reach 50. you may not be in most demanding hot job. but you sound like a smart person to find a good respectful career. have that and passive income too.

do not overthink what others say, think on what you want. punch dialogue right :) .

easy to say but very powerful, i am trying , just failing on it sometimes, sometimes works.

10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame