1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Shower Stall Cleaning

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by madhat, Jul 28, 2021.

1. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am installing a new shower stall this week with porcelain tiles in the wall and ceramic non skid hexagon tiles for the floor. Shower system with rain showerhead and hand held shower and glass doors.

All these years, I have used various cleaners to clean my tub and ceramic wall tile. When they removed the tub, I could see mold growth on the side of the wall.

How do you all maintain the shower stall ? We know that we apply oil to our hair and shampoo it, then comes henna or hair dyes, do you use any specific cleaner for the glass shower door and the floor?

Would like inputs and discussion on this please. Hoping it will throw light for many people living in the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The best tip I received was to squeegee the shower down immediately after use.
    For glass I always use Windex. I use Scrubbing bubbles for regular shower cleaning and Tilex if I see any mold spots. I also make sure to run the bathroom fan. If I’m taking an especially steamy shower then I leave the window open even in winter.

madhat likes this.
  3. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @MalStrom . Yea, squeegee is the best thing people talk about for shower doors. Do you regularly seal the floor grouts? Scrubbing bubbles is supposed to be harsh I believe according to many people online. Have you tried Bar keepers friend on floor tiles? It is cheap and is less harsh especially if you have expensive tiles.

Another tip I learnt from the web is that spraying Windshield washer fluid :) Yes you heard me right! spraying Windshield washer on the shower walls and glass doors helps to keep them clean.
    Has anyone tried that? I think it is supposed to work like windex but helps other stuff from sticking to it.

We are installing a higher CFM fan with humidity sensor as we don't have windows :-(. The kids always like to take long showers and switch off the fan after they come out. So the room is still humid and it ended up with so much mold on the bathtub sides.

4. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

We did something similar to yours with curbless no door walk-in shower with half wall and half glass splash guard. I use a squeegee and I spray DIY daily shower cleaning spray(water+vinegar+lavender essential oil) after every use, once a week I clean using DIY cleaner(vinegar+water+liquid dish soap) with scrubbing sponge for glass and grout brush and scrub brush for tiles.

I agree high CFM fan is must have at least 100CFM.

A whole house water softener will prevent those mineral and soap scum build-up from hard water.

If it’s tough stains I mix baking soda with my DIY cleaner, Lime-A-way for mineral deposits, this one for mold killing https://www.lowes.com/pd/Home-Armor...VFTKGCh23JgjAEAQYASABEgIYhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hydrogen peroxide with baking soda or vinegar also works well.

I seal grout every 6-8 months.

madhat likes this.
  5. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Flyhigher . I have a curb and 2 glass splash guards and 1 glass door.
    Yes, installed a 100 cfm fan hoping this will help.
    Can you share the ratio of your DIY solutions please. Will go to lwes and get the mold cleaner and keep. I bought a squeegee and a floor brush from dollarama.
    So far I have told my kids and DH to put in 1 min of their time to help me cut my cleaning to half by squeezing after their bath. I hope that will help me keep the shower stall clean.
    What grout sealer do you use?

Flyhigher likes this.
  6. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

okay so I googled some DIY stuff and came up with this-

Daily shower spray-
    2 cups water
    1 cup white vinegar
    10-15 drops tea tree oil
    Mix them and add to a spray bottle and spray on the shower walls and glass after the shower. Can be left on

For Cleaning solution -

12 oz.[1 1/2 cup] Vinegar (heated)
    10 oz. [1 1/4 cup] Dawn Dish Soap (Blue is recommended)

1. Heat Up the Vinegar in the microwave (about 2 minutes) so the vinegar and soap can bond together (note: You only need to heat it up this one time, not every time you use it).
    2. Add the Vinegar to the Spray Bottle
    3. Add 10 oz of Dawn Dish Soap
    4. Shake gently to combine the vinegar and soap
    5. (Before each use, give the container a little shake
    • Spray the cleaner and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
    • Wipe it down with a dry washcloth (NOT a sponge... which will create too many suds)
    • Rinse
    Dawn has ammonia in it so DO NOT combine it with bleach or any products that contain bleach

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Flyhigher and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My bathroom ended up with mold like thing on the ceiling. My arms used to ache cleaning that every few months.

Never figured out why kid wouldn't leave the exhaust fan on like told to. Finally, we installed a countdown timer switch. Whenever I used to hear kid come out of the bathroom, I used to go set exhaust fan on for 30 mins. The timer meant I had to make only one trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerlites-HET06A-White-1-5-10-15-20-30-Countdown-Decorator/dp/B00IB0ZJXE/

It is fairly easy to install.

madhat likes this.
  8. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

I guess all kids are alike :tearsofjoy:
    The exhaust fan i installed has a humidity sensor and built in timer to change to different times or leave it to default time. It's actually a huge relief to not remember to switch off the fan after a set time .

Rihana likes this.
  9. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

You are spot on the ratio.
    I don't heat the vinegar instead i just use the hot water.
    Here is the grout sealer I use https://www.lowes.com/pd/Miracle-Se...V0cDICh3RJQAcEAQYAyABEgKHDPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

madhat likes this.