1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting A Profoundly Gifted Child!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nuss, May 27, 2021.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Srama, I can't thank the universe enough for people like you (and also @Rihana - she addresses most of my questions perfectly and has the knack to provide workable solutions to my problems :blush:). Srama, you are not only a wonderful teacher but also a superb person to share your knowledge at large like this. May your tribe increase! :)

I would be much obliged if you could share the creative ideas for the various subjects you teach. I would love to use them for my 10 year old who her teachers claim to be gifted! :)

nuss and Srama like this.
  2. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Friends, while we are on it, could someone please guide me what I should be doing to assist the learning of my 10 year old? Her teachers (in school, music class, drama class, competitive Math class, etc.) repeatedly tell me that she is gifted or talented or a genius.
    *Is there a way to ascertain this here in India like how there are evaluation tests in the USA? I was told about MENSA but I don't think I can proceed with that as I was informed that tests at most MENSA centers in India are cancelled indefinitely due to the pandemic.
    ** How do parents raise gifted children in India?
    Please guide me.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @nayidulhan ,

Thank you for your words. It is all thanks to @nuss I shared what I know. Wonderful to hear about your little one. Happy to help you. Give me a few days and also it will make it a little easier if you tell me what areas you are looking at. I usually do a lot of hands on projects with my students, usually when they have difficulty learning that subject or are disinterested.

While I do not know much about testing in India, for now you can go to MENSA website and look up the material they have -
    Mensa for Kids Lesson Plans
    Games
    Mensa for Kids Blog

They have tons of uesful ideas here and you can use what works for you - you don't have to do every thing but it is a start. Hope that helps for now. More later!

nayidulhan and nuss like this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

You are very welcome! We all are learning about our kids and hoping to help them grow in well- adjusted adults! I hope you find resources for your kiddo. You might find this article interesting.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/2331186X.2017.1332815

You are already looking into MENSA. There is another gifted resource: Kaveri Gifted Education and Research Program, based in Pune. If you are in that area, you might want to check out.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    nayidulhan likes this.
  5. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your response, dear @Srama. My child is not interested in Social studies subject much. She always finds excuses to study that subject last. The chapters in the book range from “The Iron Age”, “Our environment” (dependence of biotic and abiotic components of our environment & globalization), “Constitution of India”, India- location and climate”, to “Agriculture and Industries”, etc. Could you share some pointers to make this interesting for her?

Srama likes this.
  6. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

@Srama, do you have any idea about the tests administered for this age group (almost 11 yo)? By MENSA and others? In India/ USA/ elsewhere? Could you please share your knowledge?

Srama likes this.
  7. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks @nuss for that link. The article is very informative and gave me a good sense of direction. J

I wasn’t aware of Kaveri Center before this. Thanks a lot for mentioning that.

My first step is to get my child tested to validate her teachers’, family’s and other people ‘s opinion. I am looking out for pointers to get her officially tested. Please let me know if you come across any. Thanks in advance.

nuss likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

You are welcome! Have you tried to reach out to a US Psychologist to see if they can administer the test. They might be able to do it via Zoom. I am not entirely sure about it but worth trying. If you DM me, I can give you our psychologist’s email or you can look up on any GATE program and their listed psychologists.

There are some online tests but these aren’t as thorough as the WISC tests but will help you some. You may want to check out:
    wisc test online

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I just thought to share a few things we do with the kids but @Srama really is the right person to speak about this.

We do an around the world exercise. Each week we pick a country (we are doing it in alphabetical order) and work on that country: location, capital, language, what is it known for (major export/import), major rivers, interesting historical facts, and food. Then we pick the food from that country and write the names in the local language and cook this meal together. This exercise helps the kids experience different foods and keep them interested in the world around them.

It started with India and USA. We were focusing on different regions of both countries, differences in languages, climate, and food. How the local climate influences the crops and food. For instance, I come from plains where we grow wheat and our staple is bread (chapatis). Then the kids wanted to learn about other countries. We are on J (Jordan) now because we do miss weeks when no one is excited about it.

Another thing we do is clean our neighborhood every 2-3 months. We keep 2 bags- one for trash and one for recycling. The most interesting thing my kids have found is the cigarette butts .
    I hope it gives you some ideas!

Srama likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @nayidulhan ,

sorry about the late response. With school starting in a couple of weeks, I have gotten slightly busy!
    I do not know of other organizations other than MENSA but give me a day or two, will check with my principal and revert back.