1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Encouraging Play, Fine Motor, Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Kaput, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If it is any solace @Kaput, there are others in your shoes. It’s so hard to do this alone. It does take a village, especially with a child with special needs. Looking at the silver lining isn’t possible some days. On those days, I just take it one hour at a time.
    There are a lot of people who practice detached attachment. It’s just so hard when it comes to our own kids. I wish it were the husband I had to not take personally, sometimes. That sort of detachment would have hurt but not this much. Know that you aren’t alone. I’m glad you are following the 75 hard challenge for you. It helps. I also keep telling myself that I’m doing this to the best of my capability. Surrendering to the higher power, whatever it maybe did help a little. On difficult days I question his existence too. From somewhere within the last year or so, I’ve found peace with this situation. It has come from within. I don’t know what changed but it feels nice to not walk around with a tight chest waiting to explode. It still happens sporadically but not as bad as PTSD forming levels. Spend a few minutes each day just focusing on your breath. It’s calming and helps relax.

Whatever it is, we have to handle it. We can take it one minute/hour/day at a time and hope. I really hope none of us lose hope.

Hugs kaput. Hang in there!

Kaput, chanchitra, VLR and 1 other person like this.
  2. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Hi kaput
    You are doing a wonderful job. Hugs to you. Hope you find some solace doing the 75 hard challenge. A little time for ourselves helps mind deviate and at the same time also concentrate better on the other tasks in hand. Co vid has indeed taken a toll on many of our lives. Hope everything changes for the better soon.

Laks09 and Kaput like this.
  3. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Just giving you some insight into our lives.
    My kid has autism.
    Last year my husband had to undergo a minor surgery. He recovered. And then I got diagnosed with a major medical problem in October.
    Kid doing online school due to covid. Stress levels in the household were soo high. Kid could sense the Stress and her aggression got very high.
    It was a really tough time.
    I was even worried about my kid attacking me when I am recovering from surgery.
    Last month, I am fully cured.
    My kid got into a highly rated expensive special school through the school district. Started school this monday.
    Finally things are getting better.
    Hang in there.
    Things will get better

Laks09, Kaput and stayblessed like this.
  4. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Thanks Laks. Words of wisdom.
    I have to get back to 75 hard. I have been mostly consistent with meditation this year and it is making a difference.

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing. I can only imagine the stress levels.
    I am so glad to hear that you are well now.
    Congratulations on the special school enrollment. I heard they are not easy to get into.
    We are also dealing with health issues and some life events here and in India. It will get better, that's the hope.

chanchitra and Laks09 like this.
  6. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Thanks @stayblessed!

stayblessed likes this.
  7. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

7/21-7/23 - Books 45 min

7/24/21:
    Books: 90 min
    Play (Blocks): 120 min
    Reading: 30 min

chanchitra and Laks09 like this.
  8. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

7/24/21:
    Books: 60 min
    Play (blueberry picking, play ground): 120 min
    Reading: 30 min

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

7/25-7/31: around an hour of reading books each day.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Kid started her half day kindergarten (in-person) in September. She is in a general classroom but being pulled out for learning support for a bit everyday. She caught covid (among other things) promptly from school. So much for keeping her home all of last year fearing covid!:laughing::unamused: She is fine now.
    Her ABA provider is discharging her in a few weeks. Not that she doesn't need services.. insurance just denied even BCBA supervision hours using a loophole in some recently changed state laws.
    I am looking into implementing PEAK/AIM with her, so learning about RFT, etc. I got the materials 2 years ago, but have been too swamped with work, chores and other chaotic stuff. Her BCBA started PEAK programming a year ago, but we have not made much progress in the modules I am most interested in. IGLR is another great assessment I have been looking into, but took no concrete steps to implement so far. Also need to look at some conversation skills & ToM books I bought. I am hoping to shift my efforts from language skills to these cognitive/social-emotional skills but the going has been snail-slow.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Laks09 likes this.