Is There No It Career After 35/40?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sandhya2020, Jul 21, 2021.

1. sandhya2020

sandhya2020 Silver IL'ite

I have heard salaries taper of by 35 , and unemployment by 40/45.
    Is it true?
    Well, the employee structure is pyramydical of-course, so everyone cannot go one to be promoted.
    What do people do

anika987 likes this.

2. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

Absolutely not true.. If one is updating their skills timely, picking up soft skills and applying the learnings at job and beyond.. they need not be worried about anything. In fact, the experience and wisdom you bring to the table as 35+ year old adds a lot of value if you stay current and relevant. The issue with many in IT career is they tend to view it like a government job and do not update themselves.

lavani, sandhya2020 and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

What about simple jobs like data entry and admin..can anyone after 40’s get into one after a gap of 12 to 14 years? Or that is reserved only for fresh graduates?

4. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

To be honest I do not know of any women that have done that but I strongly believe it may take a little bit of tweaking to break into IT after a long gap. For example: I used to see may women start working with smaller consultancies that their husband or relatives own once they secure EAD.. after that depending on their communication skills and hard work they can apply for other companies into junior level positions.. If there is a will there is a way ..

sandhya2020 and anika987 like this.
  5. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

No age restriction on any kind of jobs in USA. You need to continuously apply and prove yourself in the interview with your communication skills.

sandhya2020 and anika987 like this.
  6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

true. my last contract , there was developer ( please note developer) which is view negative in india as far i know. He was a Java dev - 65 years old . Billing close to 100 to 120$ per h not accurate but close as he was in w2 citizen.

he has couple of homes in florida ( he was humble to share) , he worked for 1.5 years. when covid came a lot were let go. he said he will go for a training in kafka and spend 2 -3 months building projects and enter again. he is just working not for money but just busy .