1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Just Overreacting Or Is It Normal To Feel So!!!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by saibulbul, Jul 19, 2021.

1. saibulbul

saibulbul Bronze IL'ite

Hello all,
    After marriage Husband should consult his wife regarding purchase of land, property, vehicle etc. or should he consult his elder brother.
    Few days back my DH purchased a car and just informed me that he will be buying a car while I was not in favour of buying a car since I was of the opinion that instead of investing in a car and taking loan for car, let us purchase a house first. But he consulted my elder BIL and bought a car that too in the name of my BIL while down payment and loan will be paid by him. Again any land or house he is planning to buy, my BIL always accompanies him to make a visit and DH just informs me and never asks my suggestions or never asks me to accompany him to decide which property to buy. The decision my BIL takes will be final for him.
    I feel that I have no meaning in his life. Just an outsider for him. No attachment no intimacy nothing. Things were better at the start but it has gotten worst from the last 2 years. I am very unhappy from inside as he has named the car in my BIL name while all the payment would be done by him. Am I being over reactive?
    I know that it is brotherly love but still am I not his wife. Is it not my right to decide or rather only have a discussion on purchase of properties or assets. Is this much interference from BIL in my married life is normal?
    If I will tell all these to DH, he will just put on a long face and will go into silent treatment.
    Another part is my in-laws stay in the same city and will never visit my house to see me or my child. Even the same BIL will come and stand outside my house but will not come inside or see my child. But DH is always interested to take my child in-laws place so that they can see her. But on the contrary he will not ask me to accompany him to in-laws place but still I do visit them on a regular basis and enquire about their health and all daily. Don't I deserve any place in his life. Or is this marriage just for name sake.
    I was tagged as home breaker, selfish, bad wife, bad DIL when ever I stood for my self.
    I am feeling much hurt. Am I wrong some where. Any suggestions please.
    I don't know why but I feel like I will be going into depression.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Are you working?

saibulbul likes this.
  3. saibulbul

saibulbul Bronze IL'ite

4. saibulbul

saibulbul Bronze IL'ite

Yes

5. WannabValerie

WannabValerie Silver IL'ite

Your H is wrong, not you.
    But the guy wont change, whatcha gonna do?Just accept he will be doing all his investments on someone elses names and will be paying the emis. Just keep your hopes verry down on anything better because it will be like this for the rest of your lives.

Working or not, plan your personal savings around this fact. Never for once doubt your ethics... this is what narcissits do, make you beleive that you are useless... dont beleive them.

I am in this muck, I know what its like...so this post of mine comes off as an experience

You are not alone... looks like there are many of us... hugs

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Then start by keeping your finances separate. Save for your child in a separate account. Don’t involve yourself in payments for anything that not in your name. Let it cause an uproar if necessary.
    If your in-laws don’t treat you with basic courtesy then don’t run after them. You can be polite but don’t go out of your way to visit and inquire about them. If they want to call you names then tell them to feel free to go ahead.
    Unless you respect yourself no one else is going to. Do you want your child to see a role model of a mother who allows herself to be badly treated by everyone else around her?

7. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

No, you are not. Your pain is valid.

It is very emotionally draining to expect bare minimums in a relationship and have nothing in return. It is even more tough to go on in a dead marriage and you have nothing to look forward to except for a load of silent suffering.

The underlying and main issue here is the lack of trust, respect and love for you.

His excessive dependence on his brother, being totally fine with his people not visiting your home, being okay with the idea of just taking your child to them and not inviting you - are all unacceptable/undesirable conduct stemming from the underlying issue stated above. Those are only visible / superficial problems you are encountering owing to the lack of love you deserve in this marriage.

You always need to address the underlying problem first. Other things will eventually fall in place.

So, what you "tell" your H also need to be in those lines instead of trying to deal with the superficial/visible conflicts like who did what and how. Given the fact that your H is full of misplaced priorities and an awful lot of immaturity, you need to know "how" you tell him things. You have to chose how you present your pain. Don't focus the matter on your BIL or your in-laws. After all, it's not about them right? It's about your marriage and it's about you. So, focus on how you both are and your marriage is not able to reach that point of love and trust because of his emotional investment elsewhere. Essentially, you will be talking about you, him and the marriage and with no crying, no blaming and no finding fault.

Your motive and your choice of words has to be as if you both are working towards a common goal of making this marriage fruitful.

That way your H, given the person he is, won't feel threatened that you are after/against his people. Kids are immature and it's not about what we tell them but how we tell them is what tricks them into obedience. Your H is no different. So, present your account differently, focus on the bigger picture. One day, he might see it. Requires effort and patience but you don't have a choice, do you?

Thyagarajan and saibulbul like this.
  8. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

Since you take this bad treatment he will not change. Protest hard till he changes.

if not, you separate your finances and safeguard yourself. So many marriages end due to this type of ill treatment of wife. If you are housewife, better get a job and be smart.

unless u stop all this forcefully they will not change on their own

Thyagarajan, saibulbul and chanchitra like this.
  9. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

I have an old uncle who frittered away his money on horses. Aunty was employed in a nationalized bank, and raised two kids, paid all of life's expenses, and even college fees.

He is now senile, and still talk about recouping all his "investments". She is still keeping him, and not taking him to the Kumb to lose him in the crowd.

The younger gen' looks at this example. Some say that girls get into marriage, find themselves in a socially sanctioned hostage situation, and then muddle through life on a survival mode.

Some others look at that example and say that such lives are there for others to see, and therefore be happier with their own relatively much better spouses who save their money for the family, pay college fees for children, but only physically/mentally abuse the wives now and then. This is the good father, good provider, and chronic abuser scenario. This scenario is often held up as the par for the marital course.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Bubbles, Thyagarajan and saibulbul like this.
  10. sandhya2020

sandhya2020 Silver IL'ite

What is the solution for this?

@OP,
    I feel car is a small thing- better to ignore this- as it won't have much consequences.
    Try to build bonding between you and your DH.
    If you feel that DH is not serious about buying house, make a fund form your salary which will go towards house down-payment, make similar funds on different imp heads like children's education.

saibulbul likes this.