What's Your Strategy To Deal With Unexpected Stress?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by abc00, Jul 5, 2021.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

We all react in a particular way to a situation as we might have anticipated it in our minds. I would like to know how you deal with unexpected situations - what's your first natural reaction to that unforeseen situation- worry/fear/other - how do you describe it? Share your thought process and how you have overcome that and become successful.

I feel I should be better equipped to deal with such life throwing curveball at you situations. I'm trying to gather some inputs from friends here to implement and find success for myself.

Sharing with others doesn't look like an option to me because I find people being entertained and not showing solace which makes me feel more miserable...

amulya2020 and chanchitra like this.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

If the stress is by a situation..
    I try to analyze what’s the solution and not focus on the problem and learn from it.

If it is by a person..it depends who it is.If they are not in my list of first 5 most important people..I get detached from them.Why should I give power to others to affect my piece of mind.Am trying it these days.

if it is someone I love,I try to work it out with them and it is easier to handle them.

good thread !

vidukarth, amulya2020, abc00 and 2 others like this.
  3. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Anika for your reply. You have categorized it well. I have figured out my stress is not due to any persons anymore as I have overcome that. I know how much to take from others and where to stop them if I'm uncomfortable. My stress is out of situations only which I'm learning to handle.

More inputs welcome !

anika987 likes this.
  4. sankara1

sankara1 Silver IL'ite

Great question. Stress is inevitable part of life. We will never be without stress. So the first thing to do is to write down exactly what is going on.
    Get clarity. It puts everything into perspective.

Second write down what the goal is. How do you want to feel? Focus on that. Your mind will figure out how to get out of stress and feel like you want to feel.

Third, track it. Use a Google Excel file to be able to put in entries anywhere you are. No excuses. Track how you feel, what you did that day, what positive things you did that day to move you away from stress.

Practice breathing and make it a consistent regular practice.

vidukarth, amulya2020 and abc00 like this.
  5. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hi
    Stress is common in our day to day life,but we can manage it.But as you said in unexpected situation,I am also on the same process of learning.
    What I have observed don't feed your mind any unnecessary thoughts,it's quite difficult to do,but not impossible,with practice you can achieve.This can be accomplished by doing mediation.This way of doing make you to develop presence of mind.
    Regards
    Ratna

amulya2020 and abc00 like this.
  6. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

@sankara1 & @RatnaMalliswari thanks for your inputs. Please share the breathing techniques or any routine you follow. It will help many of us. I personally could not stick to a meditation routine.

RatnaMalliswari and sankara1 like this.
  7. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hello @abc00
    Intially nobody can fix rountine, what I can suggest you is:
    1)keep one note book just write what you need to do next day before sleep.
    2)Track it daily,no problem if you can't do all task.strike task you have done,allot marks for that.
    For instance you made 10 task list,among that you did 6 task,then give 6/10 on the top of page.
    In this way you can measure your performance.
    3) Regarding breathing excercise,start with inhale and exhale breathing.It will be helpful to you for doing mediation.
    4)You can follow Sri Sri Ravishankar,he taught breathing excercise and meditation also.
    5)start slowly but do effectively.
    6)start with 5min of time
    7)Try to be calm as much as you can
    8)Don't overthink on any matter,time will solve all problems.
    9)try to focus on your work,that may brushing,combing, getting ready anything you do.
    10)Just enjoy what ever do,see what best you can do in it.You will notice lot of changes.
    Regards
    Ratna

abc00 likes this.
  8. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Hi @RatnaMalliswari

Thanks for all your pointers. I seriously need to work on the 8th point as I'm an overthinker. I will keep this in mind and remember that my stress or no stress, time will solve the problem in the intended way over which I would not have much control (in a situation based problem)

RatnaMalliswari likes this.
  9. amulya2020

amulya2020 Silver IL'ite

Interesting, felt somewhat similar today. Have to implement and see if that can make difference

10. amulya2020

amulya2020 Silver IL'ite