1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Sew Olive Green Broadcloth/cotton Dupatta

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by SuiDhaaga, Jul 5, 2021.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I am looking for 3 meter Olive Green Broadcloth/Cotton Dupatta but no one sells it.

The closest I get is from Mirraw, but twice I asked for dimensions and twice they said call our customer service Women'S Olive Banarasi Art Silk Dupatta - MIMOSA - 3125398

How do I make yards of fabric into dupatta. I have several old and oversized salwar kameez which is out-dated with wild red and orange colors. I want to pair it with this type of dupatta.

At least Amazon has a selection of Fabric, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=olive+co...nid=316495011&ref=sr_nr_p_n_material_browse_3

I'm sure there is something more to hemming edges. How would I add fringes, for instance?

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

there are lot of youtube videos on how to make dupattas. Normally dupatta is 2.5 yards , not less than that. Some styles have bigger longer and narrow and some have narrow. I remember at one point in my life there was fashion of small length but not anymore.

I assume you are in america. Do you have access to indian fabric shops or not? If not, you have to buy appropriate thin fabric ( organza , net, silks, chiffon matching to your needs). Then hem on both sides. If too wide, you might have to cut in width wise also and hem or lace/trim will cover it. You will have to buy fringes trim separately and attach by hand or machine.

Honestly, you will be better off buying this off mirraw. It looks good and will cost you cheaper than 2.5 yrds of fabric+ atleast + trims + effort + (shipping costs). And you may not not find that kind of fabrics you want.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Check in Walmart and Joann.
    You will get cotton 3 yards.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

I am in USA but the fabric shops are so hard to travel to. I am home bound for now.

I was considering Mirraw too, but these people don't answer email inquiries. Twice I asked them exact measurements and they say contact them by phone.

Few months ago I ordered a pair of kurties and I had no problems whatsoever!

But you know, I may end up getting from Mirraw. At least they have return policy (only 7 days though)

5. SuiDhaaga

I was also thinking cotton, perhaps broadcloth (I believe it's related to cotton).

6. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

SuiDhaaga - Saree.com is a site which has dupattas you are looking for. Recently I purchased some kurtis from them. Their stuff is good. So is their service.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  7. chanchitra

8. SuiDhaaga

I will see this website.

9. SuiDhaaga

chanchitra likes this.
  10. chanchitra

Lol. I too just noticed it.