1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Have You Started Traveling For Vacations Around Usa Post Covid?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Jun 25, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

We want to travel to places around USA or even outside.Is it possible now?

What are some vacations for a week where we can travel without any severe restrictions and tests as of now?

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

We just returned from a week long vacation. We aren’t ready to go outside the USA for vacation yet. We decided to go nearby—2 hours driving distance. A few things I noticed:
    1. Hotels weren’t completely booked even in summer. We stayed in Hilton and they were allowing only 10 people at the outdoor pool at a time but we didn’t see more than one family at a time anyway.
    2. Many restaurants still had either outdoor seating only or take out. A few times we ordered a take out and went to a nearby park to make it a picnic.
    3. Most businesses recommended masks which was nice.
    4. We only planned one activity (like zoo or aquarium or museum or a hike) per day, spent time at the beach or pool and went to open areas/parks everyday. All indoor places like aquarium had mandatory masks. All places asked for advance reservations to keep the numbers low.

All in all, I didn’t feel stressed! It was a nice break after a long time.

chanchitra and Hopikrishnan like this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

It would be nice, if this habit continues on.... and polite culture infests and spreads in America.

nuss likes this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I hope so too. It also helps planning the day since we knew what time our reservation is for the main activities. Fewer people was definitely a plus- no long lines.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Not yet

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Hopikrishnan likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Where I live, every person and their neighbor are planning Hawaii trips or already been there recently.

In general, looks like rental cars are really scarce. One friend was about to cancel their flight tickets due to no car available, then finally found something in an app called turo, and for $225 per day! One enterprising person even rented a U-Haul moving truck and drove it the 5 days of their vacation! : )

I doubt we will travel for leisure before January 2022. For our health conditions, it is not worth the risk.

7. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

We recently went for a beach vacation for over a week. It was ~8 hours drive. We stayed in Hilton and our experience was very similar to @nuss I wonder if we went to the same place :) It was very relaxing and a nice break from regular routine. Kids especially had a great time. We will not travel out of US though anytime sooner.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    nuss likes this.
  8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

We are not able to find any rentals. Everything was booked in MA weekend, now July 4th weekend. Now we are looking next month.
    Even there was a booking open, it was easily 500$/day.

nuss likes this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I noticed this too. Hotels are more expensive this year. It’s hard to make reservations a week or 2 in advance. I think it’s because hotels aren’t working on full capacity.
    I usually reserve summer travel 1-2 months in advance.
    Good luck!

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

We could have been at the same place .