Vismaya Dowry Death.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chanchitra, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There was this movie Kabir Singh. It was made in multiple languages. It was such a huge hit in India. People went gaaa gaa over the hero and how much he loves his GF. My DD just pointed out to me that this Vismaya’s story is the same as that movie. She remembers how angry, upset and raving mad her mom was about the movie. I talked about it over and over again. So many of my friends told me they didn’t think of what they were endorsing when they praised that movie sky high around their impressionable kids.

Yes, popular high TRP, heart throb heroes need to also be trashed when required. We should be loud and obnoxious when addicted, jealous lovers are portrayed as heroes. What we watch and opine matters to our children.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Serials and movie plots where an obnoxious, loud, and annoying hero harasses his way into the heart of the heroine has been the right, and profitable pablum for decades. Superannuated hero's would be depicted as college students, and they'd harass a much younger girl acting as the opposite "number".
    On the one hand, the very analytical heads among the movie watchers, can see the depiction of the character as a tragic parody of the behavior of college/road-side Romeo's. Obviously those who cannot see that, go with the literal plot and imagine that all great lovers had harassed and killed their object of fetish/infatuation/"love".

In fact, that is the true story of Taj Mahal in India. A cruel man who kills and then erects a monument for that, and then maims or kills all the artisans who worked on it.

Now... I have to go and see that darn Kabir Singh movie to see how much of a parody it was.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Thyagarajan, Laks09 and joylokhi like this.
  3. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

As a parent pleasing girl, you don't get to marry the one you love. If one dares, it would be like trading one relationship for the another. If marriage fails, nobody to support.

In the arranged marriage route, parents gonna parade a 'successful' man with many accomplishments behind his name; and in the process to achieve those, he became a soulless emotionally unavailable being who understands everything not in feelings but in valuations. But hey! Here you got your parents backing in case the marriage failed: they will accompany you to the special prayers and other rituals to ward off bad karma points to make the (1st/2nd) marriage work.

Such state of affairs.

4. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

It is highly depressing to read about several dowry related harassments and deaths from my state. Young beautiful souls, smiling pics taken during their weddings is indeed a painful thing to see.. Cannot imagine about their parents pain and sufferings for the rest of their lives.. Are we going back to Stone Age or what..

Swetha52003 likes this.
  5. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

A brand-new car worth Rs 11 lakh given as part of the dowry along with 1.2 acre of land and 100 sovereigns of gold was given to Vismaya. Still she had to beg to her mother over phone to pay her exam fees of Rs.1000 because Kiran wouldn’t allow her to attend exams. Reading all the detailed Malayalam news , Vismaya was starting to realize Kirans real face and was planning to go back without his knowledge. Reading all these I suspect this was really a suicide or a murder!

Thyagarajan, shravs3 and Swetha52003 like this.
  6. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

It’s happening everywhere, not just in Kerala .. I have read about the worst happenings in both north and other southern states too !

Yes, the murder suspicion was always there in Vismaya’s case. Hope the truth will come out ! Just a word of advice , as a fellow mallu :), stay away from manoramaonline for a while.. The kinds of news these days are not going to give you any peace !

deepthyanoop likes this.
  7. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

manorama online isn't doing anything weird....Sticking head into sand should not be a counsel for anyone who wants to know. Enquiring minds sorts of people should watch/see Manorama or whatever they want.
    If one were to be the defense counsel for Kiran Kumar Nair, what would be the arguments --- should be the line of discussion here. That would be the kind of knowledge to teach appropriate lessons to the parents who want to offer dowries in arranged marriages.

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I blame the parents for giving her the values that do not let her value her own life. The value that society matters more than her happiness.
    They couldn't even wait for her to finish her studies .
    They married her off to a monster . Paid him to torture her in the form of dowry.

They can say they wanted her to stay away from him ...but how could they believe the compromise in front of police after he assaulted her in front of them .

Why is the police not in focus for trying to get a girl to compromise with a monster?Why are those officials not arrested?

This will keep happening if people do not teach their daughters to value themselves. Why do they value meek daughters who live to please 'elders'?
    Why are they in a hurry to marry them off before they are independent financially,physically and emotionally.

The husband and his family are criminal monsters.Monsters will do this.

Her own family is responsible for her situation. They can cry all they want,they can deny all they want, but they are responsible.....for not teaching her to value herself. For teaching her to put her parents, her married family, her disgusting society before her own happiness.

shama146, Neelaa, Metamorphic and 7 others like this.
  9. WannabValerie

WannabValerie Silver IL'ite

The husband might go on marrying another one and take dowry... the girl aint coming back. It dosnt matter to those people, they will just carry on, they are narcissits.

Taking own lives will teach NOTHING instead will teach that its easy way to get rid of someone. No blood on their hands, the victim does it dor them.

Resilience and valuing ones life is a preciuos skill. What your life is worth is what parents should teach. If she had killed herself over an orphange buring down, she would be called a hero because her life was worth many kids lives.
    But here its worth narcissistic pleasure.

I dont want to blame her or her parents :(.. but just taking ones lives over these horrible people is just a waste :(.

10. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

I know, I know... but 3or 4 dowry related harassments, death afterwards..the pain these girls were suffering in their husbands homes..In some cases the police suspect the whole husbands family in it to plot and kill... all these are highly depressing to read in 2021.. that’s why advised her to stay away...

deepthyanoop likes this.