1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Renewal Of Tourist Visa Of My Parents In Pandemic

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sanjuruby3, Jun 23, 2021.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My dad's tourist visa to US is expiring with in a day. I applied for renewal. Basically it was new application ( DS 160 ) form where i needed to give passport/previous visa info. I do not rememeber anywhere explicilty selecting renewal.

Then, I went on to another site, to again provide basic info + pay fees + schedule appointment. All this took many days as it won't take non-indian card. So finally i paid fees and it asked me to schedule appointment.

So when i picked enabled dates, any, it said no interview at this time.

So my concern is - We wanted to select 'Interview Waiver' Since it is renewal and in covid i do not want him to travel all the way to embassy which will be 1.5 day travel for him even for passport drop off.
    But i did not find any option for interview waiver. however instructions said, once you schedule appointment for interview, there will be questions to determine if i am eligible for it, then i schedule document drop off date.

1. I am not able to move forward at this point in application workflow at all. 3 months of dates it shows, but no date is working.

2. Suppose, If i am able to find dates for document drop off, will my dad have to drop off physcially? Can it be couriered? Whole point is to avoid travel. For them it is safe person is not coming inside but his travel will be same.
    3. What kind of letter to request interview waiver, need to provide and where?
    4. Any phone/email for helpdesk where they can atleast tell how to navigate in application

I am completely stuck now... Fees are paid and non-refundable. Anyone recently renewed visas.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Are the consulates processing tourist visas right now? Indians on tourist visa cannot enter US right now. They may have suspended services.

3. sanjuruby3

Yes, thats what i thought However, no information/ update on websites about it. Just old way, it took the money.
    When we go ahead to pick the schedule, it says - interview could not be scheduled without giving proper message.

Yesterday when i tried to pick dates - it was showing 3 months from now - Jun/Jul/Aug, with certain dates enabled and some slots under each date. However no date worked. Today morning, suddenly, it shows next year 2022 - Jan/Feb/March and many dates and slots open but again nothing works.

Money is paid. And his visa is expiring with in few days. And application also.
    Will it be gone?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don’t think you will lose the application. You can show all the documents when they start processing again and they should take it.

5. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

From the websiteVisas | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in India

Visa Fees Validity Extension: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in India understand that many visa applicants have paid the visa application processing fee and are still waiting to schedule a visa appointment. We are working diligently to restore all routine visa operations as quickly and safely as possible. In the meantime, rest assured that the U.S. Mission will extend the validity of your payment (known as the MRV fee) until September 30, 2022, to allow all applicants who were unable to schedule a visa appointment as a result of the suspension of routine consular operations an opportunity to schedule and/or attend a visa appointment with the already paid fee. Please continue to monitor this site for information on when we will return to routine visa operations.

6. sanjuruby3

Just last night i paid the fees. Why did they take fees if they have already suspended the operations and can not even work on improving customer messaging when appointments not provided. So confusing.

7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for this :) We paid the visa fees and MIL had her appointment scheduled for March 16 2020. We came to know on March 14 that consulate was closing. So, maybe when ever the consulate in Chennai re-opens we won't need to jump through the hoops again.

That being said, it is safer to not even try to get a tourist visa at this time.

8. sanjuruby3

yeah, its fine.
    Just few days ago, seems my parents are very frustated there at the moment. Being stuck at home, and always told not to go out, younger ones however get to go to work, see people and also meet friends.

But also, i understand travel itself is hectic anyways and not at all safe. Parents are old and have many health issues.
    Also I missed them a lot. So lets hope... things iwll get better.