1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Effecient Utensils For Modern Kitchen

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by blindpup10, Jun 12, 2021.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

We want to buy new utensils for the kitchen I am interested to know what are the most effecient utensils that you have in the kitchen. I have an insta pot, that I don't use much except for making broth.
    More interested to know what kind of utensil you use to make sambar, Rasam, or kichidi? And what containers do you store it in?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I use Glass Lock containers for storage in the fridge, after all the scare about plastic. For cooking rasam, sambar, dal etc I have some stainless steel flat bottom vessels I got from India, along with some pressure cookers of different sizes.
    For most of my other cooking I use enameled cast iron. I do have a couple of nonstick pans for making eggs.

Thyagarajan and Laks09 like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I use the instapot for making rasam, sambhar and kichidi. It’s helping me reduce clutter on the counter top. I also have Pyrex dishes of various sizes that I store the food in.
    Some of the most used items in my kitchen are:
    1) wet and dry grinder : anything from masala powders to chutneys in small quantities without using the mixie. The brand I have linked here is old. There are newer swankier ones on Amazon!
    2) Immersion blender : I use it for soups, rasam, sweets, pav bhaji, anything that needs to be blended hot. I use it in the pot itself.
    3) Lodge cast iron skillets - from dosas to stir fries, everything gets made in this. It’s versatile once seasoned and can be used in a wide range of cooking.
    4) Stainless steel pots and pans - I use the pots for pastas and other dishes that I don’t cook in the IP. I use the pans for all the dry roasting& the occasional stir frying.
    5) Chinese wok: I use this to finish up or roast meats after cooking, making noodles or stir fries. I got one from Malaysia but I see it in the Chinese stores often. The shape is important. I don’t like the flat bottomed ones.
    6) Pyrex storage containers of various sizes. I keep replenishing these and store everything in these containers.
    7) Aebleskiver pan : Everytime one of my kids didn’t want to eat anything, I added some shredded carrots, peas, mushrooms, onions etc to idli batter and poured it in this to make spicy appams. Often I’ve seasoned idli batter and made appams as an appetizer when friends are visiting. I always have batter handy and sometimes this is our default dinner.

8) Tadka pan: I hate taking out multiple pots and this tadka pan comes in very handy. I always put it in the dw after use and it’s held on well for me.

Hth! It’s always fun to refit kitchens. I’m sure you already know what you want and you’ll get a ton of ideas from this thread!

4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Squarish stainless steel stackable containers with plastic lids. Left overs that are somewhat acidic or have turmeric in the mix [rasam, sambar, other curries] are best stored in glass, ceramic or SS containers. Square containers that stack save space in the fridge. I like SS, because they are dishwasher safe, and do not chip/break.

Thyagarajan, blindpup10 and Laks09 like this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Efficient means dual-use? frequent use? multipurpose?

A few months ago I had to do a major cleaning of the house. All kitchen items that had not been used in a year, were put in a box, and sent away to recycling. In lockdown, with no visitors/guests, and no young people at home, I find that only a few things get used.

salad spinner: thorough vegetable washing is a new habit from the pandemic times, I used wash and spin both cut salad items as well as vegetables in this. I have a large one from OXO. Stainless steel.

I tend to use the immersion grinder as a small chutney grinder for masalas, and wet mixes. This is less messy than the small chutney grinder [model Alpina, 110V].

Optimizing dishwashing [minimal dishes] would also drive efficiency. Not feasible in homes with children/youngsters.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

I use stainless steel utensils for almost all my cooking. I have a set like this for about 8 years now, use it everyday.
    ID=11356060&CategoryID=7552https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...created-for-macys?ID=11356054&CategoryID=7552

Have bought some of these as gifts for family and friends, love this one, it is great for sambar/rasam-https://www.macys.com/shop/product/belgique-stainless-steel-3-qt.-covered-soup-pot-created-for-macys

others that i use,
    Instant pot- for rice, dal and beans
    Enameled cast iron for veggies
    Cast iron tawa

For storage, I only use pyrex glass bowls or stainless steel ones. Pyrex is so convenient if i need to heat food up in the microwave later.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much for all your suggestions!!
    Any tried hexclad? The utensils look really nice. Not sure about the quality.
    Any voters for le creuset ? I am not a big fan of iron cast utnseils. Does it taste better?
    Little update- l prepared sambar on instapot! God it was super easy! Need to explore more recipes on instapot.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have seen the ads for Hexclad but I couldn’t find anyone who had actually used it when I asked on my local city forum, which is usually very responsive. I was hesitant to take the plunge due to cost.They were being sold at Costco though and Costco usually sells quality items.
    I am a huge fan of Le Creuset. I only like their classic enameled cast iron though, not all the new-fangled products they keep coming up with. It is not like traditional cast iron and is very easy to keep clean. I have the Dutch ovens, a braiser and a couple of skillets in various colors. The pieces are also pretty enough to display as decorations. I have had most of my LC cookware for over 20 years and they still look good as new.

blindpup10 likes this.
  9. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I have never used cast iron utensils as mine is a glass cooktop but I am a fan of Le Creuset‘s stoneware Casseroles. I use it for baking as well as like serveware.
    https://www.lecreuset.com/heritage-rectangular-casserole/PG0705.html

I have this customized KitchenAid stand mixer with veggie spiralizer, shredder attachments. I use it regularly for mixing atta flour.
    Personalize Your Mixer only on KitchenAid.com

For refrigerator storage, I use these silicone storage bags https://www.stasherbag.com and Pyrex containers.

These All-Clad brushed and stainless-steel cookwares I have been using for years.
    All-Clad D5 Brushed Stainless Steel Cookware - D5 Collections

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Same like most other posters. I use Pyrex or similar glass containers for storage and reheating.

some of the most used utensils are:

Similar set (received as wedding gift from in laws and have been using for last 12 years)
    https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...re-set/?pkey=cmagnalite professional cookware

Breadbox bread maker- for breads and dough for pizza, naan, etc.

Instant pot for beans and dal.

Cast iron pan for baking https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...GJRsnuA2y8uBNRQHNWhEQ2AkjBYbOx6BoC5VMQAvD_BwE

And a Turkish coffee pot for chai.