1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Sleep And Nap Issues

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, Jun 16, 2021.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My 2 yr old toddler recently started having sleeping problems and wont even nap. He always wants his dad who is low in patience and screaming at him all the time still he wants him.
    I have older one who sleeps with him and son sleeps with me. and naps in the late afternoon.
    Lately, his routine and personality changed. Because of older one, he wants to be with dad. He gets irritated screams, and what not . till 1 pm at night, my son keeps shifting rooms. He runs from me to him, he gets screamed at loudly, he comes back, I sit up, put him in lap, pat/sing for 1 hr, again he goes.
    None of us is getting any sleep.
    In afternoon nap, also he does not want me at all. If dad has that much of time/patience for 1 hr to put him to nap, may be...otherwise no. Then again his cranky crying starts at 5 PM, i take him to nap for 30 mins...wake him up after 30 - 40mins, so he can sleep at night..but again he charged for whole night time 1/2 pm.

Our schedule is bit late because of dishes, we do not have complete dark. Unless everyone is in bed, he won't even sit /lie on bed.

Last week, we took him out whole day, he skipped his nap , did not sleep in car ..problly 10 mins and too much exhausted of trip then dine in, he was super cranky but came home, again took 1 hr of crying etc. Problem is we do not have quiet at home. My older one is there. After that day, his thumb injured. He used to suck it whole night to calm himself. He could not do it for 2 days becz of bandage, and now his habit is gone ( i am happy for that) but its causing soothing issues. He keeps waking up at night also, crying crying for 1 hr , for anything, milk , blanket ...then goes to his dads room. ( we don't sleep in same room, thats another story)
    If I go down to get milk, he will cry more so i do not. Plus i myself feel so exhausted.
    Should i go to doctor? Giving him pacifier at this age does not feel right?

Other thing - he cries so loud for like an hour or so to ignore it. He wakes me up by pulling hair poking eyes. So its hard to sleep through his tantrums.

2. AliceMargaret

AliceMargaret Senior IL'ite

Hi OP,
    My name is Alice and a new member.
    First of all, i hope you are safe and well.
    This is a post from June, so it might be old and your little boy might have settled into a routine.
    But reading your post reminded me of my little boy when he was 2.5 years. My DS was exactly like that with his nap time/sleep time - always wanted Dad, didnt/wouldnot come to me; resisting sleep/wake up in the night crying for dad.
    But it was just a phase. One thing that really helped the situation was, me spending time with him during day time; played with him and in general did a lot of cuddling and hugging my DS. slowly, he started to prefer to sleep with me, and doesnot cry for daddy when he would wake in the night.
    Hope this helps.
    Kind Regards,
    AM