1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Water Should One Take In A Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, May 16, 2021.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Water and sodium balance are essential to life. Our body’s finely tuned molecular processes unconsciously take care of them.

A person needs to drink mainly depending on 3 factors

1. Bigger people need more water. Body weight matters

2. Climate. When its hot, people sweat and lose water

3. Physical activity levels. Increased exercise or intensity leads to more water intake.

The moisture contained in foods like fresh fruits, milk, coffee contribute to this water requirement.

Most of the recommended water content can be accomplished without drinking additional cups of plain water.

Kidney acts like a Manager in such cases. Kidneys make molecular adjustments to both underhydration and overhydration within 40 seconds in response to any upset in the water balance.

This quick coordinated action between the brain, cranial nerves and kidneys is far more efficient and precise than any phone app, gadget or personalized recommendations.

So, what is the Ideal water intake?

There is no such thing as ideal water intake. Drinking extra water will not probably offer superior healthy benefits. Best thing is to keep water with you and sip whenever you feel thirsty at timely intervals.

Written by

Suresh Iyer

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Generally coffee will not hydrate you, it can boost up the nerves.But it will make the body dry to some extent. Added with milk do some good in hydrating.

3. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

What a coincidence, I happened to watch a youtube video last night about drinking water.
    It insists that drinking water without thirst is not right, every body is different and sticking to 2lts or 3lts per day is not right.
    There are other things the video talks about but this point stood out and I can't agree more.

vidhyalakshmid and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

I drink half a litre of water, first thing in the morning. During the day usual intake after lunch. As you said there is no fix limit. Drink if you feel thirsty but not less than one litre a day.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

A good baseline would be eight glasses. I usually drink a lot more than that just because I do a lot of physical activities.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Kudos to @sureshmiyer for selecting this topic to analyse and discuss as to the (safe) quantity of water that one should drink.

Water is considered “Elixir “ of life.

It’s constituent are two oxygen and one Hydrogen that we all know. H2O. Rain water is the best as it includes iodine. Iodine in certain amount is also needed to the body workshop to prepare and equip for generation of some other thing called enzymes.

Now coming to the point of quantum of water in take.
    Is there a minimum and maximum? I do not think so.

Drinking a bottle of alkaline water every other day won't significantly affect your body. However, if you drink a gallon of alkaline water daily, your body has to work hard to maintain its pH ( power of hydrogen that measures the level of acidity) and that means that over time, your body will produce more gastric juices and digestive enzymes.

Consumption is proportional to the life style, timing of food intakes, climate, weather, coordinates or altitudes of the place you live in.

Consumption should be that when one feels thirsty, it is the right moment to quench it not by drinking cola but only by pure water. If thirst is unquenchable, one must try drinking tepid hot water. Certainly not by drinking ice cold water.

The quantum of water one has to drink depends on many factors. Those who reside in tropical climates in outdoor or indoor, in summer or winter . when perspire like a sportsman, naturally one consumes more water.

During fever one tend to take less. Certain medications kills the thirst .
    Mineral water is supposed to be good. River water considered good for drinking.( river fish considered more tasty. Ask a Bengali).

Drinking or and sipping Tepid hot water recommended after food or heavy meal.

After effects of eating sweets: my mom recommends especially after return from marriage feasts to drink a glass of hot water which would facilitate easy digestion of sweets like Jahangiri.

What is Japanese water therapy for weight loss? An article in web page is worth browsing. Japanese water therapy involves drinking lots of water, especially on an empty stomach, to aid good health and promote weight loss.
    www.healthshots.com
    Japanese water therapy for weight loss: Does it work? - Healthshots

Rishis & monks eating frugally lived healthy for long. They were Drinking water stored overnight in Copper vessels aids health in many ways. Water over which sacred mantras uttered reported change character of water and considered good for consumption. Ayurveda too recommends daily consumption of one litre of this type of water on empty stomach.

Before deciding on drinking quantum, one has to take care which brand or type of water is good for health. Kanji Swamigal insists well water for all his requirements. In cityit is corporation water treated with chlorine that affect ph of water.

Even in Bilsleri can water I found greasy substance at the inner neck the moment it was opened.

I remember my late dad who would often say “ water water everywhere not a drop to drink” from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and is used to suggest that despite being surrounded by something, you cannot benefit from it.

vidhyalakshmid likes this.
  7. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

Water could be the elixir and the opposite at the same time if not consumed with discipline. How much must be a question that comes after how to. How much depends on many factors,but on an average it's good to drink min 1.5 liters of fluid every day. Does coffee count as water intake? I would say no,it's just another energy fluid.
    I found this informative What Counts as Water? How to Stay Hydrated :thumbsup:

Whenever I'm on a long hours of trek,instead of water I prefer to intake veggies/fruits to keep myself hydrated(cucumber,melons,pears).Oh Now I miss those power packed treks and adventures.
    :treadmill:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Water is considered “Elixir “ of life.
    It’s constituent are two oxygen and one Hydrogen that we all know. H2O. Rain water is the best as it includes iodine. Iodine in certain amount is also needed to the body workshop to prepare and equip for generation of some other thing called enzymes.

Now coming to the point of quantum of water in take.
    Is there a minimum and maximum? I do not think so.

But then read the process of consuming too much water too quickly, can be fatal. Interesting details as to consumption pattern in various parts of the world vs health available in
    Drinking water - Wikipedia

Drinking a bottle of alkaline water every other day won't significantly affect your body. However, if you drink a gallon of alkaline water daily, your body has to work hard to maintain its pH ( power of hydrogen that measures the level of acidity) and that means that over time, your body will produce more gastric juices and digestive enzymes.

Consumption is proportional to the life style, timing of food intakes, climate, weather, coordinates or altitudes of the place you live in.

Consumption is more in tropical climates, in summer when one perspires more and lose more essential salts. During fever and winter one tend to take less.

Certain medications kills the thirst . Mineral water is supposed to be good. River water considered good for drinking. Drinking or and sipping Tepid hot water recommended after food or heavy meal.

After effects of eating sweets: my mom recommends especially after return from marriage feasts to drink a glass of hot water which would facilitate easy digestion.

What is Japanese water therapy for weight loss? An article in web page is worth browsing. Japanese water therapy involves drinking lots of water, especially on an empty stomach, to aid good health and promote weight loss.
    www.healthshots.com
    Japanese water therapy for weight loss: Does it work? - Healthshots

Rishis & monks eating frugally lived healthy for long. They were Drinking water stored overnight in Copper vessels aids health in many ways. Water over which sacred mantras uttered reported change character of water and considered good for consumption. Ayurveda too recommends daily consumption of one litre of this type of water on empty stomach.

Before deciding on drinking quantum, one has to take care which brand or type of water is good for health. Kanji Swamigal insists well water for all his requirements. In city it is corporation water treated with chlorine that affect ph of water.

Even in Bilsleri can water, I found greasy substance at the inner neck the moment it was opened. Purified filter water from dr aqua guard enrich seems to be better than can water.

I remember my dad often would say “ water water everywhere not a drop to drink”
    This is from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and is used to suggest that despite being surrounded by something, you cannot benefit from it.

9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Water is no doubt an elixir.But for patients with heart problems and patiets with excess hydration, amt of water should be strictly restricted to a litre of fluids perday, inclusive of coffee,sambar and rasam etc.Excess of water in those patients results in swollen legs.
    and may even prove fatal.
    While talking of water I am reminded of the chemical formula of water H20( Two molecules of Hydrogen and one molecule of oxygen. dihydrogen monoxide.

Why we need to avoid watching too much of breaking news & panel discussions on TV news channels nowadays!? Because, they all follow "Zohnerism"!!!
    What is this notorious concept of Zohnerism?
    Zohnerism- is all about twisting of simple facts to confuse people!
    To know more about it, please read this:
    In 1997, 14 year old Nathan Zohner presented his science fair project to his classmates, seeking to ban a highly toxic chemical from its everyday use.
    The chemical in question? Dihydrogen monoxide.-H20.Throughout his presentation, Zohner provided his audience scientifically correct evidence as to why this chemical should be banned.
    He explained that dihydrogen monoxide:
    -----Causes severe burns while it’s in gas form.
    -----Corrodes and rusts metal.
    -----Kills countless amounts of people annually.
    -----Is commonly found in tumors, acid rain etc.
    -----Causes excessive urination and bloating if consumed.
    -----Zohner also noted that the chemical is able to kill you if you depend on it and then experience an extended withdrawal.
    He then asked his classmates if they actually wanted to ban dihydrogen monoxide.
    And so, 43 out of the 50 children present voted to ban this clearly toxic chemical.
    However… this chemical isn’t typically considered toxic at all.
    In fact, dihydrogen monoxide in liquid form is simply H2O, which is nothing but water.
    Nathan Zohner’s experiment wasn’t a legitimate attempt to ban water, but instead an experiment to get a representation of how gullible people can really be.
    Also, all of the points that Zohner used to convey his point were 100% factually correct; he just skewed all of the information in his favour by omitting certain facts.
    In recognition of his experiment, journalist James K. Glassman coined the term "Zohnerism" to refer to "the use of a true fact to lead a scientifically and mathematically ignorant public to a false conclusion".

In recognition of his experiment, journalist James K Glassman coined the term “Zohnerism” to refer to “the use of a true fact to lead a scientifically and mathematically ignorant public to a false conclusion”.
    Zohnerism has entered the pages of Dictionary.
    Today, Zohnerism is not just being ignorant about science or math, it is a term that best describes the gullibility of most of us when presented with facts and figures that simply overwhelm us by their seeming accuracy, erudition, methodical and sequential presentation; such that it sounds genuine and convincing.
    In 1957 when we were doing Chemistry we also knew that water is dihydrogen monoxide in liquid form/We were told thtat when the gases were liquified,demon changes into divine.We were listeming to lectures with awe.
    Now children are very smart.Same facts with different robes altogether present
    a different picture.

Zohnerism is today driving our daily consumption of news and shaping our understanding of most issues - our political dialogue, our economic narrative, our build-up of personalities, our assessment of events and happenings, our perspectives on religion, violence, tolerance, harmony, the books we read, the content we consume, the opinions we form. Almost everything. Everyone around us seems to revel in being economical with the truth but whatever is shared and circulated is slickly packaged in selective truth that is made out to be the entire truth.

The malaise of Zohnerism has plagued advertising as a business in particular. The all-pervasive problem of brands and their agencies trying to persuade consumers with half-truth - actually “convenient” truths that much like Zohner’s school project don’t lie - but present it through motivated (sometimes even jaundiced) lenses.

We have read in papers that Zohnerism has tapped the doors of even Supreme Court to justify the supremacy of soaps on PH neutrality.

The moot question is whether these brands were being economical with the truth. The point is that none of them was perhaps lying - they were just not telling the whole truth. They were all practicing shades of Zohnerism; playing on the gullibility of their consumers by saying stuff in their advertising that was true, yet not true.

So where does that leave the ordinary consumer? Should he disbelieve everything brands say?
    ( Though this is no way related to the quantity of water we need,Zohnerism is derived straight from chemical formula of water)
    Jayasala42

Thyagarajan likes this.