Tamarind Pulihora

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by EagerForInfo, May 14, 2021.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Please don't laugh... When I first got married I tried to make tamarind pulihora using recipes from elders over the phone. Make tadka and in that add tamarind juice and cook till it doesn't stick to the spoon or oil seperates. Mix it with rice along with salt and again fresh tadka.. That is the recipe I used.. but I must have added too much tamarind paste to the rice or something cause when I tasted it I am pretty sure my wisdome tooth broke and i had to get it extracted.. So I have never dared to make it again.. But now kids are getting older.. it would be nice to make it at least on special occassion days.. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong and how I can make it again without any such tragedies? Thanks a ton!

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Where is the important roasted n ground spices?

3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Tamarind rice contains tamarind and important spices and not only tamarind n rice..
    Dry roast the following:
    1) Dhanya
    2) channa dhal
    3) methi seeds
    4) red chillies
    5) sesame seeds
    6) dry copra.
    7) one piece cinnamon stick.

All this dry roast and needs to go into the tamarind pulp.

You better check Hebbar's kitchen temple style puliohara. She has shared the correct recipe and try that

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Padhu’s Kitchen, Jeyashri’s Kitchen and Raks Kitchen also have good recipes for all South Indian specialities.
    I usually end up using the MTR brand puliyogare powder or paste and just mix with rice. I do doctor it a bit by frying extra peanuts and curry leaves in sesame oil before mixing in the spice powder. Grand Sweets pulikachal mix is also good.

KashmirFlower and amulya2020 like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

It must have been quite an adventure not only for you but to other members including DH.
    ONE OF THE BEST VARIETIES on Puliyodharai making is in our home ground moderator @krishnaamma ’s kitchen. She speaks in Tamil in the video. I would suggest check up that from her “profile >- information >- threads”?

Krishnaamma's Recipes, Kitchen Tips & Ingredients - Index!

If one is possessing ‘heat’ type body, they go in for items like cucumber... that are said to cool the body. Tamarind is heat producing and in elderly persons they substitute with lemon juice. But then one shouldn’t rush to conclude that one can use it to replace tamarind paste with lemon juice.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I must add here that iyengar temple Puliyodharai that is offeredas Prasad would be unique and tastes differently. An exploration is worthwhile.