When To Research Medical Symptoms And Diagnoses

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1200 mg of ibuprofen is taking six Advils a day. How do these elite guts handle that dosage? I don’t have any tummy issues but I still cannot handle 400mgs in 24 hrs without getting sick to my stomach.

Rihana likes this.
  2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

If my child is in pain I could care less if he gives me a grandkid. But I would be more concerned about the other side effects ( kidney and liver ) .

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Getting a little tired of primary doctor suggesting screening and other tests etc based on insurance's guidelines. Doesn't give any confidence when the first thing she says is, "let's see what insurance you have." Time that we used to spend talking about things like usefulness of breast self-exams and frequency of mammograms now goes in her looking up insurance coverage details. Was so glad to get out of the office that didn't even think much about an annual wellness checkup requiring only waist-up undressing.

To add to the fun, it is open-enrollment time. A dull ache in the middle of the forehead at all the research to be done. : (

poovai likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

It is better to research based on Medical opinion first as otherwise, if we google search headache, for example, it would list everything from Migraine to Brain Tumor. Medical research as an individual consumer is a wild goose chase. Every symptom is associated with multiple health issues.

I used to suffer from sinus infection from my childhood and when I was 30 years old, my wife insisted that I should to a doctor. We were in India at that time. The doctor I visited told me that sinus had become worse and started filling in at the back of my eyes after seeing an X-ray. He said the only option is surgery and when I asked him about other remedies he replied surgery is the only option failing which I might have serious impact in my vision. One thing I am always determined is to avoid surgery at any cost as I prefer to die out of a disease than an infection in the operation theater. This is my view even today.

I took a second opinion and the doctor this time said there was nothing to worry. He gave some medications and also suggested some breathing exercises to regulate sinus. 64 years passed now and I am still alive and my vision is 20/20.

Regarding choices, the physicians here in the US are driven by what is permitted by the insurance companies. The choices they give are limited by the insurance companies' guidelines. Options for treatment are often discussed at length but diagnostic conclusion is always said verbally thanks to medical malpractice law suits.

I like the German government's analytical mind to determine the root cause of major healthcare cost and they have come to the conclusion that preventive care for BP, Sugar, intestinal and respiratory infections reduces most healthcare visits including emergency. It reminds me of the traditional ayurvedic and homeopathy treatment that is focused on Pitham, Vayu and Kabam.

Can we also have a legislation to have yearly mandatory medical review provided by the government at a nominal cost and have that record in the encrypted database so that overall insurance cost can be considerably reduced doing a meta data trend analysis? I have hard time trusting individual research reports of how many Americans suffer from each disease. Where are they getting this data from? This should be like voter registration, driver's license, passport renewal, car registration, insurance, etc.

Rihana and Adharv like this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Old thread bumped for Covid...

Now many people have got their own pulse oximeter (oxymeter in some countries). This is usually Rs 1000 to 2000, and mostly Made in China. Operates with AAA batteries, and measures Oxygen partial pressure in Blood and puts out an LED reading from 99% or lower. Any reading below 94% would have you feeling anxious, with blood pumping a wee faster. To see if the blood is pumping faster, the oximeter is also giving you the reading of the pulse rate in beats-per-minute (bpm). There is also one more reading called PI. This is in %, and refers to Perfusion Index, telling you how good the blood flow is near where you are measuring. In some pulse oximeters this PI is not measured.

Pulse oximeter looks like a chubby clothspin with LED readings on one side. You switch it on, and clip the front end of your index finger in it. Ear lobes are used in some cases. For babies we use feet, because you can feel the pulse pretty good underfoot. The meter blinks for a 30 seconds or so, and displays both the %O2 in blood, and the heart rate. That's all there is to it.
    upload_2021-5-13_15-29-42.png

This following is from UK... towards the end of video, there are instructions to call someone in case of low readings... You will need to use your country's specific phone numbers.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Rihana likes this.
  6. Hopikrishnan

i continue to research on how I can lose weight. I had already given up the fight on hair. All I wanted to do was to get my body to grow all the hair on my head and not elsewhere; but it had not been successful.
    I had decided to deploy resources to researching the body. The ultimate goal would be to ... [ I don't even know this ] ...

Why people become overweight - Harvard Health

Rihana likes this.
  7. Hopikrishnan

I was procrastinating... and joined the queue late. Got the Biontek-Pfizer #1, the next scheduled for 3 weeks from now. In searching for whether or not I may have the usual, I found this:
    Is this a conspiracy to reduce the lifespan of the male ? Have all the statistics on the gender difference in lifespan been an artifact of this recommended higher level of poisoning ?