1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Omen, Crows & Knight Of Luck

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, May 7, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: THE OMEN, CROWS & KNIGHT OF LUCK :hello:

An astrologer of the court was queried by the king in Dharbar session as to which is the best omen to look at the moment one wakes up in the morning.

The astrologer thought for a while, consulted his palm-leaves notes and read a poem from a canto on auguries & omens the substance of which is this:

For given set of circumstances, luck varies from moment to moment and from individual to individual yet for immense benefits for the day, seems to be sighting a pair of crows - the moment one wake’s up.

Having heard this, the king ordered that his bed room be shifted at once to uppermost corner of the palace overlooking the East full of greeneries and tall fruit yielding mango orchards where huge family of crows & other birds have their nests and congregate.

The king desired to test the best of omens as told by astrologer and at once ordered that a knight be posted in his new bedroom as an observer and in the twilight of morning the moment knight spots a pair of crows, he - the soldier - should guide him blindfolded to the closest wide opened window, so that he could open his eyes & look at the pair of crows.

Accordingly a vigilant knight was posted and he did see at dawn a pair of crows just landing on a slender branch of a mango tree that was full of just ripe mangoes. The pair was perching juxtaposed facing the king’s bed room: the branch with the crows landed weight was just undulating.

The knight felt that it is going to be huge lucky day for him & the King. No sooner he spotted the pair of crows, he rushed to the king in proximity and politely yet hurriedly told “Oh! Dear King! A pair of crows just perching near a mango branch. Get up eyes closed and I would walk you to the window and open your eyes only when I tell you to look at the pair of crows”.

But alas! When both reached the open window & king opened his eyes, he could only see a thin bare branch of tree was moving up and down. The knight pleaded that he did see a pair but they flew away before king could see them. A very upset King, looking red in the face, scolded the knight and ordered that the knight be beheaded!

A bewildered knight thought for a while and emboldened by the death sentence, firmly yet politely told the king, “ See your honour - though I had seen a pair of crows with my own eyes yet I now turned “lucky” only to get death sentence awarded to me, but the court astrologer who had told this “best omen” for the day is not being questioned”.

With these words of knight, the King turned contemplative & realised his foolhardiness. He at once withdrew the sentence and rewarded the
    Knight with huge gifts and gold coins for enlightening him.

The Omen - Was it bad or good ?

umaakumar likes this.

2. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Crows crowing near your house, window or balcony is an indicator of guests visiting on that day. Since its Corona and people dont travel much , it means that a news (good or bad) will be heard that day from your relatives.

I always wonder how does a crow be able to know this. Busy people dont notice the crow crowing and its effects and also wont believe it.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thank you @paru123
    Crows too evolved to be an intelligent creature. They seemed to possess something like a magnetic compass coupled to their brain to forward dangers to their wards and hence to humans.
    Dad was in an immaculate white trousers in tucked shirt with his bicycle to proceed to office was waiting for good omen.
    When a crow was moving from left to right he will make a move forward direction to the left of the house. If he happens to see the crow move from the opposite side toward him, he would bring the bicycle into home, mom would fetch a glass of water and a while later he would try again.

On the days when he performs grand parents’ anniversary, with Pindam on the platter, he would cry hoarse “CAw” “CAw” and it would be at times an ordeal before a crow is sighted. When crow appears quickly and fly at the platter in a parabolic arc all members present would have a great sigh of relief as the rest of the proceedings move in full swing.

In hindu iconography, Crow is a vehicle for the planet Lord Shani.
    upload_2021-5-10_12-38-34.jpeg

Crows have sense of time.
    When mom faces some delay in offering the cooked rice at a regular time every day before our lunch, I used to notice a pair of crows would arrive at caw caw near kitchen window perching on the gril drawing attention of all members at home.

candidheart likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

I happen to be here on account of search in google for crows evolution.

I see my own feedback and with that the thread is truncated.

Cawing crows sighted in pair as soon as one wakes up supposed to bestow upon him or her all kinds of wealth ( sixteen type as mentioned in the link
    பதினாறு பேறுகள் பெற்றவன் - ஒரு மாபெரும் வெற்றியாளன்!

Crow is a natural scavenger and it eats veg& non veg; in Hinduism it is accorded special status. Omen Beliefs in one latitude may not be same in another latitude.

5. Thyagarajan

@umaakumar thank you for being here and awarded a LIKE to the story.

Regards

6. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,
    When I read about the crows and the luck it brings, the first thing that came to my mind, were my school days. We had a saying for seeing the crow and it went like this
    One for sorrow
    Two for joy
    Three for letter
    Four for toys
    And we were so foolish that we will feel very sorry when we saw a single crow.
    I laughed a lot thinking of this while reading your story.
    Thanks & Regards
    Uma

candidheart and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Glad the story reminded you of your school days and turned up as a cause to produce laughter.

8. Thyagarajan

I have come across more information about Crow in hindu tradition.
    why do we keep food for crows? Are our ancestors incarnate as crows? Why do they come as this low bird? Why not a high standard bird?

we know crow in Tamil called kākā. In tamil the sound "kā" means to protect. Crow caws.
    Do we address any other creature by its sound? Do we call cat meow? Because a parrot says kiki, do we call it kiki? A crow is called by its sound that makes it special.

Ka means kaapathu or protect me. ..so when you keep food for a crow and say "kaa kaa", you are asking your ancestors to protect you! One say a crow is lowly omnivorous creature because it is freely available and eats waste but it is a scavenger.

A crow is Considered beautiful. It wakes up humanity at brahma muhurtham. ..it caws and wakes up people....even cocks may not wake up on time; many days as they are moody...but a crow is on time...it sounds "ka-ka" and wakes up at brahma muhurtham which is supposed to be right time for performing oblations/japam for devout hindus.

Further, it always calls its siblings and other crows when it spots food which is a habit uncommon in other creatures. By this habit, It teaches humans to share every moment avilable food with kith and kin. Then around desk before it sleeps, it again sings "ka-ka" to thank God for all that good prey it had and the strength bestowed upon its wings throughout the day!

Also crows don't eat after sunset . According to a ancient science after sunset eating foods avoided. ..But in modern days mankind eats more rich food in several courses.
    Hence, I feel a crow is not lowly but an intelligent bird. It teaches us so much. It is why it is believed that our ancestors (pitrus) appear as crows too.

Because of this belief, the practice of offering freshly cooked rice to crow is in vogue daily and during other days such as Amavasya, and when annual ceremonies performed.
    Crow also teaches Advaitam! When a crow spots the food that one keeps, it looks happy and eats it. Looking at it eating in instalments each grain of rice, the offerer
    turns happy too. So both crow and offerer get happy.

Thus you know our sages were not fools. They made us feed the crows, if ever wish to offer food to our ancestors? The sages had strategic consideration.

Have we ever grown a peepal or banyan tree someday?
    Have we ever seen anyone get a sapling of these trees?
    Can we get seeds of peepal or banyan tree? The answer is no.

Peepal or banyan tree will not grow out of sapling because nature has made a separate arrangement for growing these two useful divine trees.
    The seeds sprout only after they have been processed in the gastrointestinal tract of the crows.
    These seeds of this tree sprouts, wherever the crows eat those seeds and wherever it does its excretion.

Peepal is the only tree in the world that releases oxygen round the clock and the medicinal qualities of Banyan is also immense. These two divine trees survive largely, only with help of crows.

Next time, when a peepal or banyan tree sighted with set of crows, i am sure you would remember intention of our ancestors in offering food to animals and birds in general and crows in particular.

paru123 and candidheart like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello: @umaakumar @paru123

Ref#8 above.
    For info Since you hv followed this thread am tagging you
    Regards.

10. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I have seen this too. My dad would regularly offer food, before our lunch daily. So on days when lunch is not ready on time, they are already there by the window grill and start alerting all of us about lunctime :)

Thyagarajan likes this.