Nooran Sisters... I Am Curious On Their Eccentric Singing

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Roar, May 3, 2021.

1. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Hello all,

I came across tiktoks on Nooran sisters and since then I have been listening to them.
    I am in awe of their voices and their struggle to get to where they are. Proudly taught by their father who was immensly talents yet didnt make it big.

What I want to know:
    Sometimes they are singing 'normally' and sometimes they appear to be possessed ( please, I dont mean in a bad way). Hysterical clapping and head banging and also the singing changes while these are happening.

Please can someone help me understand what is this high they are getting?. Is this a type of sufi singing?. They seem to do it only in religious performances. When the perform movie songs which are still religious; they are 'normal'.

Again, I dont mean to offend anyone.. I am just curious.

2. Sony23

Sony23 Senior IL'ite

yes I noticed that too about them, I think for movies they sing normally but when they actually perform on stage they get into the flow of their sufi singing such that they don't realize that it looks totally different for audience, I think it's the genre of the singing they do

Roar likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is an exaggeration of the rhythmic movements common in qawwali which is a type of Sufi music. Traditional Sufi performances involved physical immersion into the music — vigorous nodding, repetitive singing, chanting, clapping, swaying and so on. The singer and the listeners both entered a state of musical ecstasy. The goal is to reach a trance like state, not unlike the whirling dervishes, that brings you closer to spiritual transcendence. Think of it as a moving meditation. The Nooran sisters have developed a high energy personal variation of this.

Roar likes this.
  4. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Wow, nice interpretation.
    I really did not know this. I seriously thought they do it for comic reason

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Roar likes this.
  5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

6. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Social media made them comic.