New Job Or Not

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Angela123, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I applied for this job. Very similar to what i do now, and I always wanted to work there but never got a chance.
    - similar position
    - pay is 10% higher, non negotiable
    -commute is cut short to 10 mins (i drive 35 mins one way now), very close to home
    -both are govt jobs, both offer work from home on a need to basis
    My current position is exactly the same and i might get a higher pay in 2022. i Like the team, but lately my boss changed. New boss is someone who was already in the office, but not involved in projects as much as the previous boss. I have two other colleagues in the team. One of them has lot kore work experience than me so she gets a lot of projects than other two of us. Also, bigger and fancier projects she gets to do some part of it while my boss and director work on them mainly. This makes me a little jealous of her. But everyone gets along well. Nothing to complain too much.
    Work seems to be little bit different, but not impossible stuff. Overall the vibe seems to be uptight instead of the casual environment that I work now.

What else should I keep in mind if they offer the position?

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations and Good luck!

If both positions are quite similar, I would look for growth potential in each one. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years and which position would get you there?

Salary is only one aspect of the job, satisfaction and growth are extremely important. When you say you might get a higher salary...that's up for debate and the economy. Look beyond that. In 4-5 years, would you be like your successful team member who is getting the best projects in your current job? What does it take to be her? Will you be learning new skills in the new job? Will these skills help you get to your dream job in a few years or is this your dream job?

Think long term and then make your decision!

Angela123 likes this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Both have growth potential in their own way. In the current job, If there is a higher position open up, there is a good chance my successful colleague will get it. She comes with a lot more work experience than any of us. I might never be able measure up to that now. But in 3-4 yrs, i will have a better resume than now. At the new job, I will learn some new skills, but I will not get to do somethings I am doing right now. Another point is, I am that spouse who is standing back so that H can pursue his better career. We both have PhDs but I am the primary caregiver for the kids while he travels the world with a high pressure job. I could look for a better job, career wise, but the family life will take a hit. We have done it until 2018, it was very stressful and decided not worth it. So I have resized my dream job requirements, and I don't regret it. Both of these jobs have most things I wanted as of now. This is where I want to be, but problem with both jobs are unless someone leaves, they wont let me move up. Both cases, I am the junior in the group.

4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

When you are habituated to one thing, it is difficult to switch. Heck... even people who like one brand of beedi find it hard to switch to another brand. This is the reason there is the concept of the "switching premium". That 10% increase in salary will help you deal with the uptight new work environment, until you make new friends at the new water cooler.
    Take the job and cut your commute time. Cumulative addition of all the daily commute times could increase your lifespan -- the happier time you have when not commuting.

Angela123 likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

It maybe a good idea to take up the new job. A better work environment, increas d pay and reduced commute time..it’s indeed attractive. You may get saturated if you continue in your current role.

Angela123 likes this.