Yoga Certification - Online Or In Person ?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anika987, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Acctgirl83

Acctgirl83 New IL'ite

I did yoga teacher training in New York City. I always recommend in-person training vs online. If cost is an issue, just save some more money to be able to afford an in-person training. Adjustments are a big part of yoga and you cannot learn that in an online training. Personally online yoga teacher training is a waste of money.

anika987 likes this.
  2. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Yes dear i will....

anika987 likes this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@anika987
    One of the important things that we usually forget - is the quality of the teacher.

Who is teaching at your online class, and who is teaching at the offline class.

Another point about yoga is - Yoga from the western perspective limits itself to body postures..... But Yoga is not just asanas...

It is a philosophy, a method to prepare the body, mind and soul for the aadhyatma growth to reach the ultimate truth - satchitananda.

Do your acharyas understand and practice this at a spiritual level. Without that, you are not benefiting at all from the course!

Do check out some courses from SVYASA, indicacademy - first check their webinars to see if you can relate to the philiosophy!

And dont limit yourself to courses & certifications, you can learn much more from youtube where practitioners have so many webinars about Yoga. Then you can attend the live webinars and classes for the same!

Keep smiling
    HR

nandinimithun and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

How to start teaching just curious..

how do you find students? You mentioned you are doing it for free which is awesome actually.

Do u have like a yoga channel?

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you.Will surely check the link

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @anika987 ,

Honestly the benefits of inperson far outweigh online teacher training. With the pandemic, there are many studios offering lower prices or felxible options both for payments and class options. Do soem research and figure out. I would also urge you to take some classes from different studios in your area and then decide.

My certification required that I do a year long study and as part of that I had to student teach also. So I sent out a message to a few of my friends and they obliged by taking my classes. Word spread and it is mostly freinds and neighbors doing it and out of my basemnet. So my class size is limited to 5 students. With the pandemic, I have had a couple of requests to teach at local temples, sometimes to teach for children etc. all via zoom. Since these are mostly through the organizations, they promote and though they want to pay me, I usually decline. Yoga is one big part of my life for my personal growth and I donot want to divert my attention to the business part of it. Hence this attitude towards it. But, if you plan on running as a business and there is nothing wrong with that, you should consider on those lines. Infact, my own yoga teacher urges me not to give free classes to everyone. Like I said, personally I teach very few.

I also would not write off western practioners very easily. I have met some incredible people very dedicated to their learning and practice. I also know people who have taught themselves Sanskrit just to study Yoga sutras or Gita. Since they are not born into the culture of yoga/meditation many infact take everything very seriously and go deeper - a different story. Yoga's ultimate goal is being able to sit in meditation for long periods without feeling the discomfort of it and that state sometimes is achieved through asanas, while at other times, one may be able to sit! The beauty of yoga is it works wonders to you, no matter your approach - it is the mind.

I certianly hope you will find your way.

Viswamitra and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you:) I have attended some classes from a yoga center and they r very good but the cost makes me thick twice..

am very self motivated when it comes to yoga and many are actually offering online registered with yoga alliance also.

It is never as a business prospect but
    I want it do it for myself and acquire it as a skill set but that’s it for now.Future we never k ow how it unfolds as tie progresses.

Cost is the only problematic factor as I have no intention to teach and paying $3000 gives me that confusion..

trying to gain more clarity

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Guys..am taking in person certification:)

worked out the costs and cutting down some.

it is for my personal practice.not to teach.I am not a people person but I love yoga.also..adding my skill set that’s all.

the only reason I was worried was the cost and people confused me so much.

they don’t know or not going to know how am doing cost cutting on other things to put money for yoga anyways..

Happy to do it in person finally:)

Decision made!

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Out of curiosity @Srama ..

does everyone who take RYT yoga training certification become teachers?

or are there people who spend and learn for their own benefit?

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @anika987 ,

congratulations on making your decision! I also forgot to mention that a lot of dance studios also want a yoga teacher to teach their students. Since you are already in to dance (i think?), that could be a place for you to explore teaching. Now to your question on, most people that I know who have a certification teach one way or the other, one class or a person :) I do know a couple of people with certification who have a strong practice but are more into meditation, therapy etc but they also have tried to be teachers. I alos know a couple of people who chose not to look towards yoga after teacher training and then finally, I do know a few people who have a strong practice - better than many teachers, come to a lot of yoga classes but don't want to go the way of certification! Like any thing else, you grow into the communtiy and you figure your way out. I am fortunate to be associated with a studio and teacher who is very welcoming to all the philosophy, meditation classes and I pay to go for yoga classes in the studio for I want to support the studio - even though my certification is 10 years old.

Truth be told - you will figure your way. Best wishes again upload_2021-4-24_15-5-47.png .

Viswamitra likes this.