1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Skin Can’t Wear All Colors...really?

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by anika987, Apr 22, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Controversial thread...nope..read on before judgements.I have some friends who still feel a certain way about colors to wear and what not.They want to wear what they want to but they feel they can’t beco of their skin color.

I Personally suffered the bias previously and now I find it silly to even feel affected.

No wonder social media influenced people a certain way and the amount of mental conditioning and brain washing lever everything we do is unbelievable.We are fine just the way we are.

This thread is for silent readers or people who suffer a bias but understand it is all in our mind anyways.

I am sure many are very confident so they can let this go.

I thought I just wanted to share this article and I thought the woman in the
    Picture looked stunning and I was impressed.

Dark Skin Women Can't Wear Pink & Other Lies - The Discerning Stylist

What do you mean, "You're pretty for a dark skin girl?" - The Discerning Stylist

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Needtobestrong likes this.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Skin color is the theme of the Kannada TV serial "Sundari" on Udaya-TV. Dark and conventional village girl is married to unwilling city boy, because the boy's daddy had a childhood buddy in the village, and after a long lost reunion, the rich city daddy promised the poor country daddy that their kids would be wed. etc..

The various colors that Sundari wears are occasionally very bold. https://www.sunnxt.com/kannada-tv

3. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I am not dark skinned, but on similar lines... slightly weird shaped (with broad shoulders)..my shoulders are broader while my waist is relatively thin..Whenever I wear sarees..few ppl used to comment about it here and there that it doesn't suit my broad shoulders and it looks manly

but one thing I was determined was I am gonna care a damn for what people think/comment and will continue to wear whatever I feel like..I started feeling much better once I had this thought in my mind

One can never change the society or the tongues that do not belong to them..I dont' get dejected by comments but smile and ignore the comment.The person will not have the nerve to comment again about my broad shoulders..
    So its all in our mind and thats the only thing under our control :)

anika987 likes this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

People will keep commenting , it’s up to you to deal...
    “kuch toh log kahenge,
    Logon Ka Kaam hai Kehna”

Not just skin colour, people will comment on pretty much everything.Many years back prior to getting married and first few years I was very thin. People would comment on how thin I looked. They would tell me to eat properLy and put on weight.
    Now I’m a few kilos heavier, not clinically obese as I’m careful about food and physical activities, but people will still comment that I’m heavier and not as slim as I was and I should reduce food intake and do workout.
    These people are not going to help me cure my hypo thyroid and bring it to normal or take care of me if I feel dizzy and fall unconscious due to not eating anything given amount of workload I have..
    Why should I crave for appreciation from others...why cant I dress and groom myself As I like for my self confidence...
    I had trimmed my hair short when I had some hair loss due to health issue, medications and hormone issue.
    MIL hates shorter hair and made lot of sarcastic comments which I promptly ignored.
    No one has commented on my skin colour..but I have acne problem since my teens..
    I get breakouts now and then.
    Definitely people have commented on my complexion at some point or the other.
    I have heard enough remarks on my dressing sense too..

Feel bad for such narrow minded people.
    I have gone through the ups and downs of life and now learning to appreciate the goodness of heart rather than external appearances.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well said guys..

all those women in the pics look amazing!

Beauty has nothing to do with height,color,weight.

It is more about dressing,confidence and how well we love and take care of ourselves and it reflects.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No articles will say that women with certain skin color or tone should "not" wear certain colors. There are only guidelines about which colors look flattering for a given skin tone (pale, medium, dark, warm, olive, light). The guidelines aim to help a person better choose which colors look on him / her in a given season or lighting.

That's all they are - guidelines about which colors look good on which skin tone. Just like which hairstyles look good for a face shape and kind of hair.

As an example, this article says that fair or pale skinned women should avoid soft, pastel shades or they could be mistaken for a cadaver.
    The Right Colours To Wear For Your Skin Tone
    Fair/Pale Skin
    Find yourself constantly looking for somewhere to shade from the summer sun? More freckles than a speckled goose egg? Or, at the very least have red, blonde or light brown hair? Chances are you’re the proud owner of a milky pallor.

Colours To Avoid
    Given that, in the wrong lighting at least, you could be mistaken for a cadaver, you’ll want to avoid soft, pastel shades or bright colours as these will only wash you out further. The same goes for neutrals too; so rather than white, light beige or stone, choose richer shades such as sand, camel, khaki and slate grey.

Now should fair skinned women go around complaining that they are being compared to cadavers? !!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    anika987 likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

T
    True but I thought the girl in the picture smashed even those articles which gives guidelines.

The color pink looks great on her skin tone.

Infact I see darker skin shades look great with blonde highlights too