Yoga Certification - Online Or In Person ?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anika987, Apr 16, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

In person - $3200
    Online - if I do it from
    India..I can get it done cheaper like $800 or even abroad $1200..

If the online certification is as worth as going in person..I would do it.It is way cheaper and also trusted with yoga alliance.

whether I become a teacher or not..I want to get certified the right way.

Just confused which to choose?

2. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Dear @anika987
    My brother did his yoga course and it was online, he did it last year.. He was extremely satisfied and happy after the course.
    He is now a certified yoga teacher or trainer.
    However he teaches yoga on weekends for an hour to familiar circle.

Love
    Nandu

anika987 likes this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thank you for the info:)
    If possible,can you ask your brother the link to the online course?
    I am very interested in yoga and want to get details from a good source.

KashmirFlower and nandinimithun like this.
  4. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Sure dear, i will check with my brother snd get you the link.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks so much.Appreciate it.It will mean a lot.

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi! How are you?
    Sorry to bother but when you find time can you forward me the yoga link from your brother? Thanks again:)

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Tagging @Srama who is a yoga teacher.

Srama and anika987 like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Laks09 , thank you for the tag!

Dear @anika987 ,

from what I understand based on what you have shared, you have a good yoga practice. That's awesome that you are so self motivated. That said, the first question you have to ask yourself is why, why do you want to get a certification. The next question would be what do you want to get out of this certification - for self and for others?

When I wanted to get certified, I was attending regular yoga classes and I knew I wanted to learn more, not just the asanas, I also wanted to go deeper into yoga philosophy (yoga sutras), wanted to understand yoga from anatomical, physioogical points of view, and learn some aspects of meditation also. I also wanted to study under this teacher in my town and I was clear Astanga yoga was what I wanted to focus on! I am partial to in person over online, especially for teacher certification keeping in mind all the points that I have mentioned above. The biggest benefit of course was learning all about physical adjustments and helping students to get deeper into a pose. Verbal cues are all good but nothing like individual help you can give when you see a student make a mistake or struggle or hurt herself/himself. In a classroom setting, the teacher can help you with your own poses and that helps you understand what you are doing while teaching a class - you know exactly how it should feel! Needless to say, in person classes also helped me meet some wonderful people for some long lasting relationships.

Currently, I am also teaching online and I have to say that I am not enjoying as much as I am not actually able to help students which allows me to deepen my own practice.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Laks09 and anika987 like this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Laks09 for the tag :)

Thank you @Srama for the reply.Actually I am in love with yoga so much and I wanted to know more in depth about it.Honestly.....I have not even thought about becoming a teacher with my certification.

As you mentioned..am very motivated and right now I learnt by myself to do bakasana,side crow poses,forward bends like janushriasana where I can easily touch my head to knee,fying pigeon etc..also trying a bit of headstand and half way there.I cannot even express how much I love yoga.I feel so different and confident with yoga.

However..am not a people person so atleast right now I do not have interest to teach.
    It is personally for myself and to gain more in depth knowledge.I thought I will begin with this and see where it takes me.As of now..I personally want to enjoy the process.

I like both Ashtanga and Vinyasa.

I have learnt a bit of Ashtanga in India but no certification as much.

I am now practicing Vinyasa and love the flow..

I am actually torn on what to choose first to learn.I see so many online schools offering a bit of both.

Since..am not too keen of teaching as of now but at the same time, it is surely a skillset which I want to acquire.

The only problem is the cost..I may or may not teach but it is a lot of money to be spent if I go in person.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Honestly Anika when I signed up for teacher training, my intention was to deepen my own practice and eventually while doing the course learnt that teaching was the best way to do that - almost all my classes are free to this day unless a student insists on paying. Cost is certainly a factor to consider but so is your longing! I hope you can figure out what suits you. Best wishes!

anika987 likes this.