1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pigeon!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

"Babette's Feast" is a movie I'd recommend for you, before you go all Kafka on thoughts of a pigeon. Here is a link I could find of the dinner scene, (sorry for the greek subtitles). It is an excellent movie. Can make a person wonder how the french can have a reputation for Cuisine without garam masala, or ginger-garlic paste?! And the french can cook anything, and make it palatable.

satchitananda likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing. But unable to play it. Don't know if it is accessible from India.

3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

When that happens, you'd google from India, "babette's feast, full movie" and see what you can link with. Good luck.

here is the plot of the Danish movie:
    Beautiful but pious sisters Martine (Birgitte Federspiel) and Philippa (Bodil Kjer) grow to spinsterhood under the wrathful eye of their strict pastor father on the forbidding and desolate coast of Jutland, until one day, when a Parisian refugee named Babette (Stéphane Audran)comes to serve as the family cook. Babette's happens to win a lottery, and decides to use the money to cook a fine feast to the small congregation of the village. The special guest invited to the feast finds it a religious experience; as do the villagers as they enjoy fine foods and wines.

4. satchitananda

Will check it out and get back. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Certainly sounds interesting.

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Yes, true. Pigeons are nice from a distance and I too encourage their visits on to our balcony garden where i have placed a wide bowl filled with water for them. Seeing their regular schedule a hawk or eagle (I am not sure of the difference ) has started coming to drink the water as competition! Its lovely to watch, and I wanted oftentimes to click for my friends and family, however it is so sharp that the slightest sound and it is off!

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Opinion on pigeons is generally divided. <amy love them. Some hate them. But these birds ensure that no one is indifferent to them. Pigeons have used the second-floor balcony of my house as a nesting ground. Last week, I found an almost full-grown chi hopping around A day later, as we opened the first-floor balcony for Pixie to get some fresh air, we fou8nd the chick there, apparently fallen there after an abortive attempt to fly. We dragged pixie back into the living room and the chick was taken back to the second floor. It is still there. But the problem is the balcony adjoins my home gym and every morning around five-30, my wife precedes me to the gym, no not to work out but to open the balcony door ever so gently and carefully so that the chick doesn't get caught in the door or something. She suspects I would be brash. The chick has not made any more attempts to fly, probably it is still in shock over the forst attempt.

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda

Dear Joylokhi, sorry for the delay in replying. Life has a way of slamming us around all the time. Anyway, all we can do is keep our chin up and plod on.

I suspect the eagle is coming to try and get its water as well as its meal!!! Looking forward to some pics!!!

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. satchitananda

That is really cute, Balajee!!! I would not mind pigeons nesting and eggs hatching if I had a huge house BUT can't afford to do that inside a flat. Don't need any more respiratory infections coming home to roost. On another floor is another matter. Make sure you wear a mask when entering the area. Beautiful as they are, they are the carriers of respiratory pathogens.

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021