Travel To Tanzania

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by blackbeauty84, Apr 19, 2021.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

My company is pushing me for Onsite trip to Tanzania. Any ILites there? Just want to know how safe is the place.
    Due to my age, I'm not eligible for vaccination yet :-( thats another of my concern too

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Here is the US State Department's current travel advisory for Tanzania:
    Tanzania Travel Advisory
    There were some posters from East Africa but I haven't seen them for a long time.
    Personally if I was not vaccinated I would not travel anywhere unless it was a true emergency.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

I have been there as a tourist.... in a package tour, including safari. First few days are OK, after that one would want to go home.
    I noticed the word "trip" in your post. That is the positive thing -- it is only a trip, but not a stay. As said in #2, get your vaccine shot (recover from after effects), before you decide go or not. Tanzania is the most popular tourist place in Africa- and everyone in the tourist trade had lost their income. Petty crime (purse snatchings) had gone up, and you would take precautions to protect yourself if you happen to go. Safeguard travel documents. Always travel/be with trusted company, and as far as possible, in daytime. Good luck.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. blackbeauty84

Went through this advisory and thats what scares me the most.
    None of us in our team wants this trip but forced on us

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. blackbeauty84

I wouldn't have completed vaccination based on when my company wants me to travel. With luck may be 1st shot...

Fair point on loss of tourist income..I will keep this in mind. Thanks @Hopikrishnan

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Are you in India? You may get the vaccination if you are planning on a work trip- might want to check with your company/ health department for the possibility of getting the vaccine.

I have worked in Burkina Faso and Ghana (not in Tanzania) for 3-4 weeks at a time. If you read the State Department's site for India, you will be equally scared. The State Department has to list every possibility. I am guessing it's a transfer through the company. You will have your colleagues there. Ask them a lot of questions and get their help in settling in the new place. Most people in Africa that I have met have been super friendly and will help you feel at home.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

It is announced in press meet conveyed in media channels that from May First vaccination for all. Kids no. No vaccination available for kids.

All the best
    Regards.

8. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I have not been to Tanzania but I have done backpacking in Kenya, Morocco, Egypt. In Kenya, people were friendly, respectful, hospitable and most speak English. I have traveled in buses, hired local taxi, also my husband's friend had arranged someone to guide us for few places in Kenya. I have heard from the people who traveled to Tanzania that Arusha and Kilimanjaro area are safe with precautions. Due to COVID, it's not safe to travel without vaccination.

These are my few suggestions
    • It's safer to have a guide always and organized safari and tour from reputable organizers. Few safari offer guided tours walk with Masai. I think July to November is the best time to watch the great migration.
    • Always have an emergency contacts list, addresses like embassy, tour host, your hotel, local emergency hotline on the phone as well as in a paper.
    • We had taken hepatitis, Yellow fever, typhoid, and others along with annual flu shots. Most African countries need a Yellow fever vaccine certificate. Check Vaccination requirements for Tanzania.
    • Keep your eyes and ear open all the time. Most big cities are crowded in Africa and have petty crimes, mugging, snatching are common. Be cautious. Don't leave your things untainted, don't eat anything offered by strangers. Read common scams in the areas where you visit.
    • Be careful while using ATMs. There are incidents like tourists Kidnap and robbery.
    • Stay away from the crowd. If you see any crowded protest, rallies or gatherings walk away in opposite direction.
    • Stay away from the refugee camp, poor localities, Congo, Burundi, Mozambique, mtwara borders.
    • It is always advised to keep 2-3 copy your travel documents in different places and keep your passport safe always. On every international trip, I use these to keep my passport, credit cards, emergency contacts list , and little cash for safety https://www.amazon.com/Barbras-Womens-Travel-Underwear-Panties/dp/B07D2M43WP?th=1
    • It is not advised to take local buses. Always take a taxi from your hotel.
    • When they see tourists usually they will say higher price so bargain always.
    • Be Nice to the police. Even if they don't find any mistakes/problems with you they just simply ask for money.
    • Don't pay for any packages/tours without having the full information or prior to any service.
    • Careful about street food hygiene. Don't drink tap water. Bottled water will be readily available everywhere but carry an eco-friendly water bottle. GEOPRESS™ Purifier https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Fi...ocphy=9011566&hvtargid=pla-330795093009&psc=1
    • Don't wear any valuable items, don't wear any flashy branded clothes. keep your phone, camera concealed. Take out only when you need.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Your list of suggestions is scary !! The "be nice" thing worried me the most.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I don’t think I have shared any scary suggestions. If it feels scary you are free to not take it. I am not forcing to take my suggestions. I think those are the pretty basic common precautions one should take when travelling abroad.
    In fact I have shared very few things than what my husband’s Kenyan friend and locals said, and what I practice.

I don’t know how it works while travelling in a package tours/larger groups, may be don’t need to be so much cautious or there will be always someone to take care of all the things throughout the trip when travelling in package tours and larger groups. But it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

When one is travelling outside the country according to me it’s best to ask peoples advices and experiences.
    Everyone’s experiences might not be the same or everyone might not have faced the same challenges and problems, also it doesn’t mean one will face the same situations. But there is nothing wrong to be aware of bad/scary experiences and suggestions equally as good ones.

When we were in Kenya twice our vehicle was stopped by police, they did checking, asked our travel documents,finally if nothing found they asked us money. Similar thing happened when my friends traveled to South Africa. It’s best to be nice and handle things smoothly instead of arguing or resisting when in other countries.

Thyagarajan and Hopikrishnan like this.