English Matters

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Ansuya, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I agree with this in toto.
    Here I write for entertainment.
    A boy wrote to his dad: “I appeared for typewriting and shorthand exams and results declared: I have passed and failed respectively”.

Student learnt by rote made out in leave letter in haste wrote:
    Sir, as I am suffering from leave kindly grand me two days head-ache & fever.

In news paper office:
    I want an Ad in classifieds about baby delivered by spouse .
    “How many insertions Sir”
    I forgot the count.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Can you speak Filipino, a standardized version of Tagalug ?
    This guy who is peddling humans for phone conversations, is recommending Philippinos over Indians, because the English of Indians is not easy to understand.

3. Hopikrishnan

I am often curious about the origins of words and expressions. When I saw @EagerForInfo talking incontinence, I checked the etymology dictionary, and found:
    continence (n.)
    late 14c., "self-restraint, moderation," especially with regard to desires and passions, "moderation in sexual intercourse, chastity, restraint of the sexual passions within lawful bounds," from Old French continence (14c.) and directly from Latin continentia "a holding back, repression," abstract noun from continent-, present-participle stem of continere "to hold back, check," also "hold together, enclose," from assimilated form of com "with, together" (see con-) + tenere "to hold" (from PIE root *ten- "to stretch").

In reference to the body's eliminatory functions, from 1915. Related: Continency.​
    Obviously one might want to know why large land masses are called continents. And if a land mass cannot hold it together, and fall apart into pieces, it is called an archipelago.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Me too.
    But then continental food pertains only to Europe minus China & India. Obviously, Intercontinental means from one continent to another.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Making sentences gender-neutral without using "he or she" or "he / she"
    Share any methods with examples.

One is to replace the singular to plural.
    A manger must also find occasion to compliment his or her employees.
    TO:
    Managers must also find occasions to compliment their employees.

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  6. Hopikrishnan

Pronoun dropping is designed in to many languages. e.g... Hindi is a prodrop language. There are many other languages where we may drop the pronouns; the verb in the sentence provides a strong hint.

from wiki:
    English[edit]
    English is not a pro-drop language. Nonetheless, subject pronouns are almost always dropped in imperative sentences (e.g., Come here), with the subject "you" understood or communicated non-verbally.[11]

In informal speech, the pronominal subject is sometimes dropped. This ellipsis has been called "conversational deletion" and "left-edge deletion",[12][13][14] and is common in informal spoken English as well as certain registers of written English, notably diaries.[15] Most commonly, it is the first person singular subject which is dropped.[16]

Some other words, especially copulas and auxiliaries, can also be dropped.

• [Have you] ever been there?
    • [I'm] going to the shops. [Do you] want to come?
    • haven't been there yet. [I'm] going later.
      [*]Seen on signs: [I am/We are] out to lunch; [I/we will be] back at 1:00 [P.M].
      [*]What do you think [of it]?I like [it]! (the latter only in some dialects and registers)
      [*][Do you] want a piece of cake?

In speech, when pronouns are not dropped, they are more often reduced than other words in an utterance.

Relative pronouns, provided they are not the subject, are often dropped in short restrictive clauses: That's the man [whom] I saw.

The dropping of pronouns is generally restricted to very informal speech and certain fixed expressions, and the rules for their use are complex and vary among dialects and registers. A noted instance was the "lived the dream" section of George H. W. Bush's speech at the 1988 Republican National Convention.[17][18][19][20]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Hopikrishnan

The first example of Trade Sanctions imposed by a country on itself.
    That was the description of people in UK voting to take themselves out of Europe. Why did they do such a stupid thing ? It has to do with the definite article......

[​IMG]

8. Hopikrishnan

hahaha.... H-dropping entry from wikipedia has this to say:
    H-dropping or aitch-dropping is the deletion of the voiceless glottal fricative or "H sound", [h]. The phenomenon is common in many dialects of English, and is also found in certain other languages, either as a purely historical development or as a contemporary difference between dialects. Although common in most regions of England and in some other English-speaking countries, H-dropping is often stigmatized and is a sign of careless or uneducated speech.​

[​IMG]

given equal chance for any other letter to drop, why is it that only the H is dropped .... eh? Isn't this divine dictat ? About how we ought to speak the language ?

9. Hopikrishnan

Dropping "H"'s is also feasible at the end of the word.... ArcH, Arc, Ark... is also the bark of the pair of dogs who were saved by Noah.
    [​IMG]

10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

An interesting website for when you can describe some thing but can't remember the exact word for it.

OneLook Reverse Dictionary and Thesaurus

Takes some trial and error to understand how to frame queries for the most precise results. It works best when you provide a close-to-dictionary definition of your word and narrow down the exact part of speech (noun, verb, adjective) you are looking for.

Kohvachn and Mistt like this.