1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Make Web Application That You Move Graphical Images Around, Etc

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by SuiDhaaga, Apr 16, 2021.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

My friend with aspergers has idea for a website.

She has been out of touch with using computer languages because of many personal issues she faced.

Now she wishes to brush up her computer skills and create program (and eventually a free website), where she can automate some of her daily tasks (cannot discuss program in too much detail)

She is looking to design website similar to Duolingo.com (but entirely different purpose)

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Easiest way is to start off with a personal website on wordpress, blogspot or even wix - you can try it out with the free account so that you can see how it works - 1000s of tutorials are available for basic content management

Duolingo website is more about content delivery - it is much more interactive than a basic website - so first get used to the basic website, later move on to some courses on coursera or udemy or edx - then create a hosting and start developing a bespoke program.

A lot of consistent hard work is required ... She also needs some support wherever she is unable to do, because it is difficult for 1 person to be all-in-one.

Website development has
    1) Description of user experience
    2) Creating the right design and functionality
    3) Checking colors, fonts, images - look and feel
    4) Content - articles, images, videos, questions, tests if any, data collection and analysis
    5) Website management
    6) Search Engine Optimisation
    7) Customer engagement, retention etc.
    And so much more!

I would suggest, let her start off a website with wordpress/wix/blogspot and then move on to do further courses

Keep smiling
    HR

Tubinbataye and SuiDhaaga like this.
  3. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

1. First decide what type website you are going to build

a. Static Website - No Database required. Little amount of interaction with the client.

b. Dynamic Website - Database driven website which answers user's several questions based on the information stored in the database.​

2. Get a domain and hosting – Decide on the domain you want to go for. Domain is address. You can get a domain with any domain registrars such as go daddy. Once you have your domain, choose a hosting provider. Once you have hosting, you have to modify your domain name servers to point to the hosting server. If you are creating a trial kind of Static site(using only HTML,CSS, JavaScript) you can host on google drive, github or Dropbox.

3. Plan your website Design how it should look, what content need to be added, what features to be added graphics, icons, images

4. Next decide how you want to build your website. There are 3 ways-

1. Website builder – Example Wix , Weebly and Squarespace. If you have zero coding experience or no interest in learning coding this is the easiest way.

2. Coding with HTML, CSS and JavaScript and other programming. If you choose this usually first create prototype using HTML then to add color/design using CSS then add user interaction using JavaScript.

3. Using CMS (content management system) such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal , Umbraco​

5. Then next, you to need to attract some traffic. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the best way to get free traffic to your website. Basically you need to create content that Google likes and create backlinks to your webpages in order for Google to rank your higher for certain keywords.

6. Launch your website

There are lot of tutorials available on Youtube, W3Schools Online Web Tutorials . You can post any questions in this forum Stack Overflow - Where Developers Learn, Share, & Build Careers to get help or clear doubts.

In this site you can find lot of icons/images 5,400,000+ free and premium vector icons - Iconfinder

In order to get the basic understanding of any website page you can just right click on the page then select “View Page Source” or to understand how the image/button is placed right click on the page then select “Inspect Element” or press ctrl+shift+c

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

I spoke with my friend and she was so happy with these responses. She told me she has asked on other forums but no one gave clear advice.

She was almost teary eyed and is doing self-learning as we speak.

My friend had a blog few years back (to write her intense feelings). Payed $50 for custom domain name and everything. Payed x-tra so her info is not on whois.com. Eventually stopped the blogging and did something else.

She told me she is auditing a Coursera specialization on reactive websites (she is quite visual, loves colors and action)

My friend has pulled up her sleeves and took the first few steps. She envisions storing data in the cloud. She has to get over her fear of working with other people.

Of course, she is going slow and steady

Your list helped me friend understand the process. She doesn't think linear like most people, so this perspective helps.

And I am urging her to study tutorials on wordpress/wix/blogspot because she may notice something she didn't realize during her blogging days.

Most certainly dynamic! She wants her website to take user input and present it back to user in easy-to-understand format.

Ohhhh, she didn't know website can be hosted on simple drives. I guess one has to start out as Static before becoming Dynamic

She wants colorful, informative (i.e picture worth 1000 words), yet on simple, white background

My friend is leaning towards Content Management System. She wants people to log into her website, share and collaborate with other people, or simply post on forums.

Wow, this is important. My friend wants the website to give all features for free with ads (people pay if they don't want ads)

My friend is heavy on the graphics and iconfinder will help her :)

And of course, see webpage source!

hrastro and Flyhigher like this.
  5. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Adobe Photoshop has a 7 day free trial period. Your friend can download and try for a week.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  6. SuiDhaaga

Ohhhhhhhh she always wanted to use Adobe!!!!!!!

Flyhigher likes this.