1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Sitting?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by EagerForInfo, Apr 12, 2021.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Just curious do we need a license to pet sit too? Nowadays my friends are dropping off their pets for us to pet sit too.. Seems like a nice way to earn money without having the need to get a license unlike baby sitting.

Are we allowed to pet sit without a license.. My kids have enjoyed the experience of pet sitting dogs..!

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Check your homeowners insurance. If a dog bites someone while you’re watching it you can be held responsible.

3. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Pet sitting is not easy as it seems.

Each state and county/zone are different. Few states/county does not need a license, whereas few need a mandatory license when you cross certain number/breed/size. Apart from that, there are other certain things like safety measures like a baby gate ( I don't know exactly what it is called), kennel, etc. Check with your county/local animal welfare department whether you need a license or not.

Usually, traditional homeowners insurance policies include liability coverage that protects you in the event of any incidents only if it is your own pet.

If you are hosting someone's dog at your place and accepting fees that will be considered as business. In those cases, there could be a chance that you could lose your home insurance automatically in case your home insurance provider finds out. So check with your insurance first.

In case if your insurance does not cover then you need to purchase pet business insurance/pet sitting insurance.

4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

:flushed: Depending on how long a relationship the customer has with their insurance agent/co., such "checking" would raise a flag for the Insurance company.
    Any customer-contact small business would have potential problems. This is the reason such businesses are usually insured and bonded. Even children's businesses, like lawn-mowing, raking leaves, baby sitting, lemonade/vegetables selling can get into troubles if some neighbor considers such activity a blight on the neighborhood.

Flyhigher likes this.
  5. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Calling insurance company to enquire whether I can run a pet sitting from my home and will my same policy cover or not, in case not covered what all I can do best , does not affect the existing insurance policy.

Long back when we were planning to start airbnb’s and home sharing I have called my insurance provider to check what is covered or not, different policy in case of airbnb and all. That did not affect premiums nor they created any problem when I wanted to file a claim after a month.

I think as a customer I have the right to check with insurance company what is right or not by the book.

Problem arise only when accidents occur when I run the business in home without the right liability insurance. In that case insurance provider can cancel/terminate the policy or reject the claims.

Hopikrishnan likes this.