1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

People In Books & Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: PEOPLE IN BOOKS & LIFE :hello:

ONE forgives friends because s/he still want them in their life. Of all the things one wear, expression is the most important especially in presence of their pals.

The knowledge which is residing in the book and in the wealth which is in possession of some other person is of no use at all.

At the time of it's need they will not be of any help.

People are generally like books: Some deceive you with their cover and others surprise you with their content. A friend, even without many good qualities, seemed to better than an enemy with good qualities. After all enemy is enemy.

Whatever one can do or dream, the person should begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it then & there.

The Real education is in one's attitude & behaviour with others. It defines person's whole personality, no matter how qualified s/he is.

पुस्तकस्था तु या विद्या परहस्तगतं धनम् |कार्यकाले समुत्पन्ने न सा विद्या न तद् धनम् ||

Among kith & kin, among friends among lovers among husband & wife, Communication is the lifeline of their relation. when they stop communicating, they start losing their valuable relations.

क: काल: कानि मित्राणि को देश: को व्ययागमौ |
    कस्याहं का च मे शक्ति: इति चिन्त्यं मुहुर्मुहु: ||

"How is situation around me (i.e. is it favourable or not)? who are (my) friends? how is condition in the country? what are the things for and against me (or what do I have and what I don't have)? who am I? what are my strengths?" one should always ponder over these fundamental questions. One must be always alert and consider all this prior to any action.

A lone flower blossoms for its purpose; not looking around for admirers. Stay true to your purpose, admirers will find their way to you.

The gentle foot prints of Kindness that we leave behind Makes a Life time of Soft imprints in the hearts of others that will never wash away.
    गुणवान् वा परजन: स्वजनो निर्गुणोपि वा निर्गुण: स्वजन: श्रेयान् य: पर: पर एव च ||

A man who makes trouble for others is also making trouble for himself. Ability of a person is not how well he has planned; but how he STANDS & FACES the challenges, when everything he planned has gone wrong.

The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass - it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.

FAITH ... It doesn't make things easy it makes them possible.
    प्रदोषे दीपकश्चंद्र: प्रभाते दीपको रवि:।
    त्रैलोक्ये दीपको धर्म: सुपुत्र: कुलदीपक:॥
    Moon illumines the evening. Sun illumines the morning. Dharma (Righteousness) illumines all the three worlds and a capable son illumines all ancestors.

We always work for a better tomorrow; but when tomorrow comes, instead of enjoying, we again think of a better tomorrow. So, let’s have a better today.

One should Never let a WIN get to head , or a loss to HEART.
    स हि भवति दरिद्रो यस्य तॄष्णा विशाला।
    मनसि च परितुष्टे कोर्थवान् को दरिद्रा:॥

The person with vast desires is definitely poor. For the one with satisfied mind, there is no distinction between rich and poor.

Relation is not a collection of People. But, it is a selection of Hearts. We need to put in all efforts to hold them for a life-time.

When we learn to manage our emotions long enough to stop and shift our attention to the quieter message of the heart, we can gain a wider perspective on any situation, often saving ourselves from hurt, frustration and pain.

Sacrifice is greater than love, Character is greater than beauty, Humanity is greater than wealth, But nothing is greater than keeping relations alive..!!
    चन्दनं शीतलं लोके चंदनादपि चंद्रमा: |
    चन्द्रचन्दनयोर्मध्ये शीतला साधुसंगत: ||
    sandalwood is pleasant (cool), moon (or moon light) is more pleasant than sandal. (but) company of a good person (sAdhu) is pleasant then both moon and sandal.

"What one has, many can have...but what one is, no one can be.”

If one wouldn't write it and sign it, better s/he doesn't say it.

Simple principle of Life:-
    - Never think I am nothing
    - Never think I am everything
    - But always think I am something
    And I can achieve anything.

नात्युच्चशिखरो मेरुर्नातिनीचं रसातलम् व्यवसायद्वितीयानां नात्यपारो महोदधि:||
    For a person who is seconded by activities (i.e. for a person who depends on his own efforts), peak of a mountain is not very high (is not hard to climb), bottom of earth (centre of earth) is not very deep and an ocean is not difficult to cross.

Doubt & Faith...both are states of mind. Doubt creates the darkest moments in our finest hour; while Faith brings finest moments in our darkest hour.

The really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

If we succeed in cheating someone, do not think he is a fool. Rather realize that he trusted us more than we deserved.

विद्या विवादाय धनं मदाय शक्ति: परेषां परिपीडनाय |
    खलस्य साधोर्विपरीतमेतज्ज्ञानाय दानाय च रक्षणाय ||
    A bad person uses his knowledge for (empty) argumentations, his wealth for egotistic actions, and his power for harming others. The opposite is true concerning a good person: He uses his knowledge, wealth, and power for providing to others knowledge, financial help, and protection, respectively.

"One knows that Whenever he or she points finger blaming someone; three of her or his own fingers point back towards him or her.

When pure sincerity forms within, it is outwardly realized in other people's hearts.

"Respect" is the most important element of our "Personality". It is like an investment, whatever we give to others, it will return us with Profit.
    न प्रहॄष्यति सन्माने नापमाने च कुप्यति।
    न क्रुद्ध: परूषं ब्रूयात् स वै साधूत्तम: स्मॄत:॥
    Those, who do not become happy by honor and do not get angry by dishonor, do not use harsh words, even in anger, are said to be greatest among saints.

iyerviji, Mistt, Rihana and 2 others like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shri Thyagarajan sir, You have presented a valuable gift, an essay laying hands on so many aspects of life, distinction between people in books and people in real life, You have stressed the importance of good company, faith, having the needed confidence with the necessity of not being a 'know all 'person but essence being really somebody. Appa!1 so many quotes!! I feel I am once again in 1959 listening to Miss Mythili, our erudite Sanskrit professor in the thatched shed always leaking in rainy season.

i have repeatedly gone through the snippet many times. I am amazed at your vast collection of quotes .

I am reminded of Bhartruhari, the great philosopher poet,the king of Ujjain,He was the elder step brother of the renouned King vikramaditya.His life presents to us a living account of a person's transformation from a pleasure-loving king to an ascetic.It was he who gave us the immortal Subhashitha Trishati consisting of trilogy of Neethi Shathaka, Shringara shataka and Vairagaya shathaka which truly reflect his experience as a king, as a lover and an ascetic.

Yes,Our scriptures and puranas reveal so many morals. There are so many works and commentaries by Adi Shankara and other Acharyas.We have Bhagavatgita,the life essence.stated to have been narrated by lord Krishna.We have Quran , Bible and Thirukkural and many more pieces .Now the communication science has developed so much and we have Google Guru at every home to guide us.We receive so many moral stories, valuable Quotes daily in our mail box.
    If all these things have reached people in the proper perspective,by now there would have been no thefts, no corruption, no raping, no cheating.Is it the reality?

The answer to this question is given by Bhartrihari himself
    संतप्तायसि संस्थितस्य पयसो नामापि न श्रूयते

मुक्ताकारतया तदेव नलिनीपत्रस्थितं राजते ।

मध्ये सागरशुक्तिमध्यपतितं तन्मौक्तिकं जायते

प्रायेणाधम मध्यमोत्तमगुनाः संसर्गतो देहिनाम्

If water falls on a hot pan, instantly it gets burnt;When water falls on a lotus leaf,the lotus becomes more beautiful with the dancing of a dew drop of water,but with a little breeze water disppears.But if the same water falls on an oyster,it takes that one drop and converts it into a pearl.
    The qualities one acquires depend on the quality of the person with whom one associates. The same analogy can be applied to the moral lessons and quotes that are dinned into our ears day in and day out.
    For some people ,listening to the teachings is like water falling on a dosa pan.As you listen it disappears.If you are filled with anger,jealousy, hatred,and distress your mind is like a dosa pan and teachings of Gita or any other valuable lesson,which is really like beautiful water drop, falls and disappears instantly.
    A little more evolved person is like lotus. He shines for some time.The moment he goes home
    from the lecture hall or deviates his mind from moral lessons,he is totally disturbed by surroundings and the lesson flies away in air.
    But if you are like an oyster,retain the water( morals) and absorb,the water itself gets converted into pearl.At that time moral and the person are not two different entities and they become one and the same.

No doubt, this is also a moral lesson.

We can choose to be a dosa pan, lotus or an oyster.
    Let the morals and quotes continue and we may expect a few oysters.Vivekananda rightly asked for only hundred people among 30 crores of Indians who ,he thought could transform the entire nation.

I am reminded of a joke in those days.Schools had thatched roofings. A master was teaching.A student was staring at the roof.The master asked the boy" Did anything enter?'( he meant whether anything entered his head.
    Pat came the reply" everything entered , but not the tail". he was referring to the rat which was struggling to enter the roof, but its tail never entered the roof"
    This is the position of many of the listeners and readers.
    Hearty congratulations to Shri Thyagarajan on his special involvement
    in depicting this essay into a garland of fragrant quotes.

Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan, Mistt, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  3. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

Wow, this is a great read. I learned very interesting things, thank you.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Thyagarajan sir,

with this snippet, you have me beaming ear to ear with joy. Shubhashithani is one of my favorite things to read and I read at least one per day! I do not know why I absolutely love the language. And what a joy to hear from @jayasala42 ma'm! I would love to read more from you. And like you mention, I hope not to be that drop of water that disppears :)

I have wanted to start a thread on shubhashithani for a long time now. I hope to come back and contribute some to this thread. Thank you for sharing such pearls and please continue sharing for we will have the pleasure of reading.

Thank you both, so much!

Gauri03 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

When something negative happens, we think it’s another’s fault. This is because all of the limiting beliefs, false assumptions, and emotional baggage that keeps us small has been conveniently hidden within a deep, dark place within us. We don’t even know it’s down there, running our lives and sabotaging our dreams. We begin to believe that we’re ideal in many ways. We buy our own propaganda so that we don’t have to face our weaknesses and do the work involved to turn them into strengths. It takes tremendous internal strength to go into that darkness that keeps us small in our lives. It takes great inner power to take a serious look at the way we’re living and make the midcourse corrections that will set us back on track.”

From one of the books that i read

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello: Dear Madam Sister Smthi. Jayasala,
    Am delighted with your detailed painstaking response, enriching the thread several folds with fantastic allegorical additional quotes of Bhartrihari in Sanskrit.

2. I am glad that you read the post more times that transported mind to Miss Mythili of 1959 - your Sanskrit pedagogue - in somewhat ramshackle class room. Perhaps this is the class room in which that rat head has entered the roof except the tail.

3. People first read quotes & moral stories for pleasure. It could be thought provoking. A handful would attempt following it half-heartedly and leave it halfway. I agree in toto that even if a small percentage of literate population follow these lessons would pave way for a system of ideal society to develop that is free of bickering, fear and anxiety.

4. “Water-Drop” remaining same but it’s future is determined by its association/contact which could be akin to either a petal or an oyster or a dosa pan. Very well said. I enjoyed reading this Allegory. In Tamil it is “saga-vasa Dosham. ( ஸகவாஸ தோஷம் ) . That is why it is imperative that parents should exercise great care & watch on their wards of their association(s).

5. Very thoughtful of you to have quoted Vivekananda here. A handful of sincere men following the morals would be adequate to launch a movement to have dharmic society.

6. I was thinking of my school Sanskrit teacher who taught us Ramayana, raguvamsam, subhashitam etc. it reminded me also of @Srama ’s post Gurubyo NAMAH & another thread.
    I remember few of subhashidani, he taught us in 1956-58.
    Kaashtath agnihi jayathey madhyamanath bhumisthoyam
    Ganyamana Dhadhathi

This couplet taught in the class by Thiruvazhai iyengar- still reverberate in my ears

I am not sure I reproduced it properly here, but it conveys:
    The more the logs gets dried up the more easily it catches fire and burn without smoke. The more deeper and deeper one go into the earth to get glittering diamond..
    and then rest of the lines says the more one uses and hones up the brain the better it thinks.

Likewise another one of Adhi Sankara about the bond between true friends.

क्षीरेणात्मगतोदकायहिगुणाःदत्ताःपुरातेऽखिलाः

क्षीरेतापमवेक्ष्यतेनपयसाह्यात्माकृशानौहुतः।

गन्तुंपावकमुन्मनस्तदभवद्दृष्ट्वातुमित्रापदम्

युक्तंतेनजलेनशाम्यतिसतांमैत्रीपुनस्त्वीदृशी॥

- नीतिशतकम्

Milk imparts its inherent qualities like sweetness to its constituent water. When it is boiled, the water on having seen the milk in distress immediately sacrifices itself to the fire (and evaporates). The milk in turn becomes eager to throw itself into the fire (by boiling over) on seeing the plight of its friend water. However, it settles down when some water is poured. Such is the nature of friendship of the virtuous.

7. May I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the uplifting words that you said about the effort of making this thread. A feather touch of encouragement indeed.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Gauri03 and Srama like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

@Srama
    thanks for your nice words. Anything that gives unadulterated joy is pure and naturally one gets affinity to it. Therefore your love for subhashitam in other words demonstrates your pure love for Nature & humanity!
    @nandinimithun
    Thanks for visiting here and that excerpt. The mind at once try to shift to blame another as it is perfect and that nature in human is the origin of all human conflicts that invariably lands in altercation and in bickering.
    Regards.

Srama likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Like JS ma’am this thread took me back to my school days! Subhashitani were my favorite part of learning Sanskrit and I have quite a few memorized to this day.

(Imprecise translations are mine. I am no Sanskrit scholar. Feel free to offer corrections where needed.)

न चोरहार्यं न च राज्यहार्यं न भ्रातृभाज्यं न च भारकारी |
    व्यये कृते वर्धत एव नित्यं विद्या धनं सर्वधनप्रधानम् ||

Cannot be stolen by a thief nor confiscated by a king,
    Cannot be divided between brothers as an inheritance, nor does it weigh anything
    The more you share it, the more it increases day by day,
    The wealth of knowledge is the greatest wealth of all.

This was the brutal truth of the years studying for college entrance exams!
    सुखार्थिनः कुतो विद्या विद्यार्थिनः कुतः सुखम् ।
    सुखार्थी वा त्यजेत्विद्यां विद्यार्थी व त्यजेत् सुखम् ।

Those who seek pleasures will not find knowledge (wisdom),
    Those who seek knowledge will never enjoy pleasures.
    Pleasure-seekers should renounce knowledge,
    Knowledge-seekers (students) should renounce a life of pleasures.

I love the alliterative sounds in this one.
    काकः कृष्णः पिकः कृष्णः को भेद पिककाकयोः
    वसन्तसमये प्राप्ते काकः काकः पिकः पिकः

The crow is black and so is the cuckoo,
    What is the difference between them?
    When Vasant (spring) arrives it becomes plain
    That the crow is a crow and the cuckoo is cuckoo.
    (The cuckoo’s melodious mating calls cannot be copied by the crow.)

@Srama The idea of the thread is too good to pass up! Could I tempt you to make said Subhashitani thread (in E&PG forum) with the promise of being a steady participant?

Kohvachn, Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Me too. I googled for English alliteration examples commonly used in ad.

Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Chuck E. Cheese, Coca-Cola, Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, LifeLock, Lulu Lemon, Park Place & PayPal
    Or in a sentence such as
    Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
    Thanks and Regards.

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

@messedup
    Thanks for visiting here.
    2. It looks you are having tight schedule and so you are content with clicking like and offer no comments. Ok. I shall give you another story strictly personal.
    Hope you deviate from your tight schedule to this link:

Tight Schedule- Spouse, Rat & 'craft

messedup likes this.