Why Is Vaccination So Slow In India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Needtobestrong, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

This is something that's bothering me a lot...
    Many if my friends and relatives of my age group, and younger...even teenage kids living in the US have got the vaccine for Covid..
    Its so slow here in India...in Jan they started for healthcare and frontline workers, March for senior citizens 60plus..April for 45 plus...what about younger generation who are less than 45, who are the people who have to step outside for work and college/ school education and younger generation working in essential services and cannot work from home at all...what about below 45 people who have serious comorbidities and need the vaccine...many below 45 people have elders or small kids or babies as immediate family members and need the vaccine else show will they be healthy to care for their families?
    It's so frustrating to see news reports of vaccines being exported or gifted to foreign countries when we general public in India are not getting it..
    Every now and then my friend or relative either my age or much younger posts update about being vaccinated and I'm just feeling so helpless and insecure...if people of all age groups could get the vaccine and sponsor for any contacts who are financially not good like domestic helpers, the second wave can be controlled easily..

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

US population is 330 million vs Indian population of 1.4 billion. US can also buy more vaccines for their people due to money and power. India also has to cope with a historically ineffective bureaucracy and corruption.
    The US is also not perfect. Highest Covid death toll in the world, lot of anti-vax sentiment and a botched vaccine rollout process in many states.

3. Needtobestrong

@MalStrom
    Your points make sense...
    I too heard that there are too many people in the US who are totally anti- vaccine...
    I just felt frustrated that even though we are ready and willing to take the vaccine here’s in India- covaxin or covishield, it’s just not available to below 45 age group and don’t know how many months it’ll take for our turn to come...and how many days we have to fear while stepping out for essential work without the extra safety of vaccination.

4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Creating an artificial shortage, and allowing "gate-keepers" to charge extra, i.e., collect a baksheesh, had been the m.o. in a number of things. Do you suspect that is happening here ?

MalStrom and Needtobestrong like this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Yes...an artificial shortage may lead to hoarding of vaccines by private vendors and a black market where vaccines will be charged double the prescribed rate, ..and out of fear of Covid we would be forced to pay a high amount to vaccinate ourselves and our families.. i really hope that doesn't happen.

6. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

OP I don't know where you are in India, my family members and friends 40 and above have started getting the vaccine in Delhi/Haryana/NCR area. You might want to check with local hospitals.

8. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

My mom ,mil,sisters everyone got vaccine in India.The country I am residing in now has completed only 2 percent..super slow..compared to many countries India is getting ahead in vaccination drive I guess

Thyagarajan and Needtobestrong like this.
  9. Needtobestrong

40 and above??
    The city where I reside , they’re strictly giving vaccine to 45 and above only...
    The vaccine is not yet available to 18-45 years age group.

10. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

My mom received both her dosage and my sibling is done with first one . They said the process was smooth no issues . One of my friend who is in 40s even got it . Some primary care health centers have walk ins too . Maybe your location might have huge demand . Hopefully your turn comes soon

Thyagarajan and Needtobestrong like this.