Moving To Texas

Discussion in 'Indians in Dallas' started by revati01, Apr 7, 2021.

1. revati01

revati01 Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

we are planning to move to dallas tx, we live in the east coast right now! could someone tell me how long do summers last, I have read various forums where people say summer is horrible only for two months and rest is tolerable but some people say it is terribly hot from April to late october. Could you guys who live in dallas throw some light on this.

thank you.

2. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Yes, Texas can be very hot in summer .. But if you ask me, I quite like the weather here.. But then I happened to be a person who always liked sunny weather..Maybe because I am from a coastal town in Kerala where the weather is quite humid and hot always.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. revati01

revati01 Senior IL'ite

Hi Swetha, thank you ! Could you please tell me which months are the hottest? Like I said I have been hearing different stories from different people! How long does summer last and which months are the hottest? Thank you so much!

4. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

This is really a judgement call and relative to what you are used to. Yes, Dallas is really hot during the summer, but not a desert climate like Phoenix or Las Vegas and there will be some humid days.To be exact during the summer of 2018 the temperature has been in the high 90’s beginning in May with a few weeks of 100–106 in June and July. In August it was around 100. The heat starts early and the summers are long, but nearly everyone has air conditioning and most commercial buildings are air conditioned to the point of feeling uncomfortably cold.

According to my native Texan friend, the negatives of Dallas:

1. Brutal summers
    2. Traffic
    3. Lack of scenic beauty when compared to the rest of the country
    Now the positives are

1. Affordability
    2. Employment ( so many new companies relocating)
    3. Friendliness ( people are genuinely friendly here, something to do with “southern hospitality “, I think )
    4. Mild winters

revati01 likes this.
  5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

revati01 likes this.
  6. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

Mid June to mid Aug, 2 months is very hot...temperature in 100+...usually from 12 noon to 6 pm is very hot.
    Rest other months are OK.

revati01 likes this.
  7. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Also, if you have college age kids, moving to Texas is a good idea. The state offers more than 200 colleges and universities including Rice University, Texas Tech University, Texas A&M, University of Texas at Austin and Southern Methodist University.

If you don’t love warm weather at all , then you might reconsider your move to Texas. However, if you’re someone like me who loves warm and balmy weather than long winters then Texas is the place :) It all depends upon your priorities.

revati01 likes this.
  8. revati01

revati01 Senior IL'ite

Thank you Swetha, thank you for all the information!

9. revati01

revati01 Senior IL'ite

Thank you ! That helps. This is what I heard that it’s really very hot for two months and rest is tolerable!

10. revati01

revati01 Senior IL'ite

Thank you, my kids are in elementary school right now but this information really helps because if we move it would be long term!