How Do I Stop Being Taken Advantage Of?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EagerForInfo, Apr 6, 2021.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

I quit my job when my son was born since I could not manage home and work with a baby as husband does not help at all . We live in the US.

But everyone has taken advantage of me.. seeing me at home my husbands friend wanted to move in to have home made meals (for more than 6 months and wanted to stay more if I didn't say anything) as his wife went to india with kids due to visa issues. Then another friend who was pregnant and working wanted free meals and while I was busy and struggling with 6 months old baby I had to cook meals for her till baby was born and her mom came.. Selfish people want to save money on day care and didn't have anyone come till baby was born as she is a working lady..But after baby for 2 years she had both in laws and parents come and stay for 6 months straight both of them taking turns. Couldn't they have gotten their parents to stay for 6 more months while pregnant instead of depending on me!

Now another twist.. Nowadays I am looking for a job in IT. And when friends ask me if they can send their kids to my house instead of baby sitter I say I can watch them as they play with my kids if I don't have a job but if I get a job I can't cause I'll be busy.. and their like..... but its work from home ! (why can't you watch my kids!) since they work outside of the house.

Sheeshhh...

Ok.. I enjoy kids coming to my house to play.. but now I feel like I'm being taken advantage off.

I too am human with no help in the US. It should not be one way traffic.

vrikshakadali and Thyagarajan like this.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

By using the word NO.
    Straight NO, or diplomatic NO, its your choice

Are they paying you for babysitting. In that case you cant complain much. If not, send a text to everyone that you cant continue it due to job from this day onwards( advance notice). Do that as a group message. No need to give any more explanation. Its up to you to schedule playdates for your kids.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Use your words and say no. Why is that more difficult than feeling obliged to do something you don’t want to?
    No one can take advantage of you without your participation. As the saying goes, fool me once shame on you....

4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

your spouse is an idiot. who lets people treat his wife as a cook and nanny.

you initial mistake was innocent but further mistakes are foolish. you know what you are doing wrong. asking for advise is , you are not going to get any special answer in IL .

this is your house and your child and your life, if you do not want to be a nanny say no. do not want to cook for freeloaders say no.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I was you few years back @EagerForInfo
    You can see my threads in neighbors forum
    I too had apphrension for saying no.
    Start saying 1) will think & let you know
    2) will discuss with hubby & tell you ( I blame my dh in few cases like if someone wants their kids to pickedup/drop-off without prior info.
    3) playtime only in outdoors if winters taking turns strictly. I used to cook kid friendly meals, buy juice snacks for play dates, make tea for moms. None of neighbors returned favor I stopped suddenly saying let's do this at your place. No one came forward. I understood this very late.
    4) started saying no for simple things like group shopping where those ladies would treat me as Uber.
    5) talk to husband tell how you feel.
    It's certainly hard to say no for an empath, surely you will find your way of saying no.
    Start with neighbors later friends

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Every minute is vitamin M - the money in Us $. So say no to save and make money for your rainy days, benevolence now should not end in regret and repentance later. Do not hesitate to say a huge NO in right time.

7. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Wow, this is unbelievable! OP, as others have said, start saying no. A true friend would not take advantage of another, especially when you have a small baby yourself. If it makes you any better, try asking these folks for a favor and see how good they are at saying No.. that should help you say No the next time they ask for something.. you don’t owe them anything, YOU pick and choose which favors you want to do, not your husband, not them.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Unless you say a NO ..either diplomatically or outright..people will continue taking advantage of you...
    Regarding the request of your husband’s friend and your friend, you could have said no, giving the reason as you’re struggling with small baby and you’re unable to even cook meals for yourself let alone for additional people without help..l
    And regarding the baby sitting thing, tell them you started working...dont give too many details, just tell them u got freelance assignments and you are unable to watch over kids as that’s keeping you too busy.
    You got into above situations only because you agreed and said yes...
    Just say no, maybe sweetly and diplomatically and drive the message into their head without being offensive.
    You could keep complaining about how tough it is to manage baby without help and about health issues..how weak and tired you are..
    Ask for help from the same friends, for something or the other and ask them for playmates at their place, and see how they back out giving some reason or the other..that will help you also to know how to say no..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

Dear @EagerForInfo other members have already given very good suggestions on how to tackle this issue. You could also say since you are preparing for job interviews you are busy with that as well as taking care of your own baby and home. Or you could also if you wish start charging for taking care of their kids, that could be a source of additional income for you. Of course that will still be additional work for you.

10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Making money this way might attract IRA. Take care!