1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Pay For Your Parents Tickets To Visit You?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by delmed, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is your spouse the kind that puts monetary worth above other things in life? Some people are like that and when you are living with someone that’s like that, then there is no room for things which you cannot attach a monetary value to. Unfortunately for you, if your mom does spend her money and come she is bound to be left feeling like she is disrespected. If you pay for her tickets and bring her, she is going to get disrespected in your house. It’s better for you to drop plans of her travel and go spend time with her. If I were in your situation, I would leave kids and go spend a week or two with mom, rejuvenate and come back. I need time
    with my parents and if someone was unwilling to pay for her ticket, I would go to her house and stay there. I know I’m welcome there with open arms!

Roar, chanchitra, PurpleRoses and 2 others like this.
  2. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

As everyone rightly said, even if in the heat of the argument, your dh saying he will treat her as babysitter and "wait and watch" threatening was uncalled for.
    How did your husband treat your mother previously when he paid for her tickets and she visited you guys?
    If he genuinely treated her well like a family member then maybe this time he either got influenced by his mother or someone to act like this.
    In either way, I agree with others. Don't bring your mother and get her insulted in your home. She doesn't deserve that treatment. If your dh refuses to pay for tickets, you take your kids and go visit your mother.
    All the best.

chanchitra likes this.
  3. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

Whenever I can, yes. I feel like it is my job to do so.

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Yes, we always pay for my parents travel!

5. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

It is very sad to read this post, even in these times Girls parents are treated with discrimination. Women are no less and we do more than men, work and also take care of home, but hardly few men even understand or appreciate that. Please always stand for you think is right, it will give your inner peace. It is hard to please everyone. We pay for both parents and in laws ticket. I am working though, not sure if things would have been different if I did not work. But I have a friend who doesn't work and her mom visits almost every year and she takes care of the expense. Good luck and hope you are able to sort things amicably.

Meghaa likes this.
  6. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Nobody is waiting in line for him to treat them badly. Not you, not your mother. Ask him to get down that bloody horse first.