1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Severe Insomnia Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by vidukarth, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    This problem solving has worked for me some fifty years ago. I used to wake up and begin my studies at 0100 hrs.

A problem of finding dy/dx in an equation x power y + y power x = k in which I wrongly applied log to both sides and that was of four marks. I lost centum because of this. Even now when I am disturbed in midsleep, I used to try doing this problem mentally - of course correctly.

Sudoku too my favourite day or night. If solved that happiness push aside other depressing thoughts. If not solved then too it would take the person into sleep.

Thanks & Regards.

Viswamitra, radv and vidukarth like this.
  2. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

Subconscious worries and stress are the major reasons. Addressing that issue in you helps to get some sleep. If you can't figure out take some professional's help.

From the list of activities you mentioned in the Original Post, can you make checking calls on your parents and in-laws during weekends?, delegate some work to your husband and ask your children to help you if they are over 10 years of age.

Managing your health is as important as managing other activities and fulfilling other's needs. Workout which work you could delegate/share with another family member.
    Try going for a vacation. A break from our routine makes a lot of difference.

Thyagarajan, vidukarth and Viswamitra like this.
  3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

SKoundinya,
    I can relate to you, all we can do is pray for them and also take care of our health. I know this covid has affected many people and leaving old parents feel insecure. Thanks, will try yoga and pranayama to help me. Thanks for taking time to reply to me.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. vidukarth

Desiindian,

Thanks, the India calls am thinking to switch to the morning, because they are alone, even if they don't hear from us one day, they get worried. yes, as you said i should take more help from husband and kids so i get some time to take care of myself. Yes, i feel like really want to go somewhere for a vacation, but with this covid, just restricting them, but as you said a a vacation would really help from the routine and get stress free and have a fresh start.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  5. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Op

I didn’t read all your posts or others replies but wanted to write quickly. most importantly stop caffeine completely. Drink lemon honey instead of caffeine. Do breathing exercises plus yoga meditation consistently. Improve diet like no processed foods, eat healthy fruits and vegetables, make green smoothies etc. stop dairy eggs if possible.

Thyagarajan and vidukarth like this.
  6. vidukarth

proudindian, yes i do take 2 cups of coffee, need to stop it, though hard will try it, since i need to get over this.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

You don’t have To completely give up coffee. But can you try to reduce it to just one cup a day I.e. just one cup in the morning. The reason I am suggesting this is because I have a problem that if i intake caffeine a second time after my early morning coffee then for sure I cannot fall asleep at all. I have experienced this a few times and know for sure I cannot take coffee more than once a day. May be you also have this problem. Please do give this a try. Some people are really sensitive to caffeine.

Thyagarajan and vidukarth like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:My late dad is an addict of coffee and would take around six to eight cups of coffee strong robusta and peaberry 1:1 ratio . First four cups in the morning in short intervals. Rest of the day four cups last one around dusk as soon as he returns from office. Even while on long tour he was drinking coffee and he used to carry the powder with him as in camping places coffee not available. The moment his head strikes the pillow, he would get into profound sleep but I can not sleep close to him because his deep snore used to scare me. He demanded coffee by gesture before departing for heavens.*

*Spouse & I With Dad - A Surgical Operation

In my case, I found sleep comes to me at will at any time of day or night barring some one snore in high pitch like my dad. In the class room- while travelling in auto on uneven mud roads and in bullock carts in my village. My bullocks too sleep en route!

But, of late, I found skipping that evening coffee totally, resulted in my landing at dinning table by 8 with voracious appetite but I eat dinner like a pauper. It is said king size breakfast, prince like lunch & pauper like supper are ways to healthy sleep.

Caffeine is good and bad simultaneously:
    decaffeinated too do good & bad simultaneously.
    Nescafé is good while Bru is detested by few.
    Plain coffee is also good for rose plant
    But for sleep (!) drink black - laced lime juice
    For more sleep coffee in link

Is Decaf Coffee Good or Bad?
    GOD - Do Your subordinates for kick - drink coffee or ambrosia?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    vidukarth likes this.
  9. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

You have mentioned about your caffeine intake, i.e 2 cups of coffee per day. some people are very sensitive to caffeine...having more of coffee or tea beyond certain time in the evening would affect sleep quality. in fact some years back whenever I was working , I used to love drinking cappuccino coffee from then coffee machine at office...having even one or two cups of coffee in morning and evening would make me so cranky and restless at night, would get sleep only at midnight and wake up in the morning feeling very tired and irritable..since then I’ve cut out coffee and only drink a cup of tea per day...small cup of tea and without sugar and not very strong...
    I too have issues with sleep quality, in a different way..even if I sleep early and sleep for 7 or 8 hours still I don’t feel refreshed and I feel sluggish and irritable in the morning and late afternoon and evening times...and find it irritating to do kitchen cleanup at night post dinner...
    You’re too young to be having insomnia, I’ve heard complaints like this from older ladies in 50s and 60s...I feel at this age, mental stress is the main reason.

10. vidukarth

Thanks Sandhya and Needtobestrong. I was never like this. I used to drink coffee even at 7pm somedays when i give coffee to my husband when he returns from work and then sleep normally. My colleagues used to say they don't drink coffee post noon since it hinders with their sleep. I always thought we drink with milk and decoction and not full coffee, hence we might be okay. But things do change. So, we need to read our body at every stage and adapt to it.
    I will definitely start with skipping afternoon coffee and see how it goes.

Thyagrajan sir,

I can relate to what you say. Even now, my parents, they drink one filter coffee around 6 am and then another around 9 am before they eat lunch. They skip breakfast and mostly have 2 cups of coffee before eating lunch. Now their coffee intake has reduced but easily used to take every time they make coffee as someone comes home, or for maids etc and never had any sleep issues. The intake reduced since they stopped adding sugar as they got prediabetic and hence losing interest in the taste without sugar.