1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Underwear ?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by EagerForInfo, Mar 8, 2021.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Where do women in the US buy their underwear for use during periods? Reason I ask is women underwear are sooo thin here even a small leak will be a disaster with these thin underwear! I am tempted to use men's underwear which seem thick but feeling embarrassed. Please offer advice! I remember women's underwear in India on carts which we get for 20 rupees used to be thick.. But there is no chance of getting those now..

Please advise!

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Most women in America use tampons. Many women are also on hormonal birth control and as a result either don’t have periods or very light flow.

3. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Macys has good quality 100 percent cotton in jockey brand brief style. It’s much better than India. Try that

4. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Kohl`s has cotton ladies underwear.

5. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Anusha2917 likes this.
  6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Here in India, reusable cotton sanitary pads are available online..
    For example,
    https://www.amazon.in/Feelfree-Reus...4AHZMD0GYH1&psc=1&refRID=RKQ6X7NFJ4AHZMD0GYH1
    You could buy such a set of cotton liners and use them inside inner wear , along with your disposable sanitary pad...if you don’t mind it being bulky...
    Probably this would help you in increase thickness of inner wear and help absorb any stains, because sometimes during heavy bleeding, or if we do hectic chores during bleeding there maybe stains oustide The disposable pad.
    Are such reusable cotton pads widely available in US?if yes check it out.
    Alternatively, have you tried the menstrual cup?
    I haven’t tried it yet so i do not have much idea.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You mention the thinness of the fabric many times. You are right about that. The regular days women's underwear in the U.S. has a fine fabric. Even the 100% cotton ones will have a fine texture. I guess one reason is that women don't want the underwear outline to be visible through pants. I didn't realize this difference in fabric until I took my rather picky niece shopping when she came to the U.S. to study. It was one funny experience in Target as we ended up in the men's clothing section, I am standing so that the closed-circuit camera doesn't catch her examining the men's underwear closely. : )

She chose something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Underwear-Briefs-Heather-Charcoal/dp/B08CVT9QTG/
    https://www.amazon.com/Van-Heusen-Underwear-Charcoal-Rosewood/dp/B08KHN3H66/

These have thicker fabric than the women's underwear.

The other option is the "periods underwear" which seem to have a double lining in the crotch area. My guess is that the rest of the fabric will be thin-ish.

If you try many of them and are still unhappy with the choices in the U.S., it is worth having someone buy them for you in India and send by Garudavega or other courier service. It can sound crazy but for such comfort, it is OK to spend the $$. You can extend their life by hand-washing them.

All these low rise, high-rise, brief, bikini, hipster ... so confusing. Now I see even men's has low-rise and high rise! karma!

8. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

These are men's underwear not women's underwear right? Thank you for affirming that I have not lost it looking at men's underwear.. They are exactly what I need I will be looking into buying them.. Infact I have gotten one pack of kids boys underwear yesterday to try it out.. the material is excellent (better than womens) just worried about the size that's all.. I don't know what I've been doing all these years.. getting all new questions nowadays.. I wish I remember what underwear I used before these (of course current ones I've gotten from India a looong time ago).. jeez..