1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 6 Yr Old Not Liking Food Anymore

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sanjuruby3, Mar 2, 2021.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My 6 yr old daughter attends remote school. With cold weather, remote and us working parents, she is not getting much physical these days.
    I understand that. But she does not like to eat anything at all.
    No rice or fried rice no roti no dosa, no dosa type roti or crepe, no curry, no fruits, no greens, no salads... no avocado or banana no egg boiled o omelette..

no indian snack - pakoda, bread etc not at all
    things which were her favourites she hate them now like egg or broccoli or even nuts.
    Only thing she does is drink milk or cereals or processed food like mac/cheese or cereals , not bread anything with bread ( burger fries ..no), or sandwich etc. Only Jelly sandwich 1/2, , not even pizza ( may be 1 slice).
    She has craze for outside food but she is not really fan of pizzas.

so i am like ignoring her now and whatever comes in hand i give her in front of tv, she eats half or some.
    Then she gets hungry, she does not even ask before eating packet of cookies.
    How do i tame her ..she was such a healthy eater and i feel like every other mom used to tell me she is such a heathy eater, that eats brocolli and roti, now..she is completely opposite and other kids have grown up to be better eater.
    We both are tired now. Also we can not put bites in her mouth anymore as we have lot to handle.
    What to do? how to give her veggies and fruits.

2. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@sanjuruby3 I have a 6 year old and I give him fruits most days.. the only way it works for me to is to feed in his mouth while he is playing in the evening.. if this isn’t the case there is no way he will eat fruits.. about the regular foods, he gets good physical everyday and I play with him too. So he gets hungry. Even then he might fuss about food somedays but I tell him this is what mommy had for today and he can choose not to eat if he wants. He will then eat since he will be hungry. Is it possible for you to feed her at least once a day so that she eats something homemade? You can make it a combined dinner time for both kids and feed both at the same time. This is what we have been doing. Ideally it would be best if kids eat on their own especially at 6 but it’s okay to feed sometimes. Based on your other threads too, I think your kid is looking for your attention. Please try to spend some quality time with her everyday where there is no complaints no nagging just some mommy daughter time that she can enjoy your company. I hope it gets better for you.

kaluputti likes this.
  3. sanjuruby3

Thanks Sandhya123. Yes I do feed her most times. but i get frustrated as I have to take care of both with my job. My toddler 2 is too active that i barely get time. It is cold outside so i do not get to go outside and them too.

But I am hoping for good weather soon, so i can take her out a bit. I am planning to learn myself bike, so she can do with me. My H does not spend much time with them so i need to.
    I also feel she needs more attention from me. She has millions of toys and wants more and more. But what she needs is my attention and time.

4. confused4sure

confused4sure Silver IL'ite

Can you trying switching the snack supplies to relatively healthy options like fruit snack, granola bars with no sugar, etc. and completely stop buying unhealthy stuff like cookies. Have fruits out on the counter or assessable to her, instead of the snacks. You can also try to have her help with cutting vegetables or cooking the food help.. to increase her interest in certain food. I sometimes make roti/poori for my kids with mashed vegetables like carrots or spinach, to get some vegetable intake. the vegetable noodles with spiral noodle maker also work wonders. Sometimes I also add good coloring to idly, for variety. When all this fails, I fake call a doctor and say, I will need to bring him in, for healthy food injection! Good luck.... you have your hands full.

5. sanjuruby3

I also did use that ' health food injections' on my 6 yr old. I call it 'food shots' for kids who do not eat food _:) but my daughter has become too brave in covid.
    She starts fighting me when i bring that up.. She screams..'NOOOOO' to the top of her lungs and i get scared myself and come down. Which is how i am not able to use tricks or feed her.

6. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

Additional to what others suggest, did you try de-worm?
    Try having breakfast/lunch/dinner together. Atleast thrice a week.