Travel With Friends, Family Or Solo - Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Rihana, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some of the choices for vacation or travel are:

- With friends
    - With family or relatives
    - Solo
    - Combination of the above

What's your preference? Why so?

Is your preference based on past experience? What happened? Do share.

anika987 likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Each has its pros and cons. I most like the go with family or friends but make time for some solo experiences. Like, catching the early sunrise.

After one experience, I started to make sure I know where the car keys are and that I am added to the list of drivers when renting it. I can then quietly set out in the early morning silence while the rest are asleep.

anika987 likes this.
  3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Travel anyhow is my mood now, Rih! Travel home ....
    might cry if i write more

Rihana likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Love this thread Rihana:) my kind of thread :D

I love to travel/ spend time with my best friend..awesome feeling.We meet once in a year but some of my best times are with her and few acquaintances I get to know through her.For me..I need to feel comfortable with someone to be myself.I cannot tag along in a group just for the heck of it.

Always enjoyed with my family.I keep any baggage away for few days and spend lovely time with them in travel and I can be myself.Not all family members but some of them.I know their preferences and so make sure to plan a vacation where everyone will enjoy.

I never have travelled solo but I love my own company as am my best friend:)

I have Infact had fun with acquaintances too as someone of them I hardly meet after that one time:D make hay while the sun shines..

Rihana likes this.
  5. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Undoubtedly solo! Why? Efficient to travel that way, ek last minute ticket mil jatha hai, ek dining seat corner mein mil jatha hai, treated with much compassion , single traveller karke preferential treatment, easier to sneak in, wing one's way, get things done, simply easier and convenient for others to oblige along the trip.

Solo means not backpacking! I have never done so till date. It means aaram se being indulged in a hinterland resort in a deck chair that would be given up if you stare mad-eyed at a simpleton.

Sometimes, with friends but no lensy friends who would halt at every photo-stop, delight at nature's marvel, take pictures of sun's motions and phool aur patthe and attractions.

Jab se instagram aaya, I abandoned even the non-emergent photographer in me. Such beautiful pictures publicly available. Why bother to claim more pictures of the Eiffel Tower jab usko har angle mein already analysed.

Solo and non-photography friends are my choice of travel.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    shyamala1234, Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My favorite trips used to be when I would go back to India and we would take road trips with my parents, sibling and 2 very favorite aunts. The amount of gossip we would hear was epic.
    Now that spouses and kids have entered the picture it’s much easier to do just the nuclear family trips. We’ll probably go back to traveling together once the kids are older.

nandinimithun, anika987 and Rihana like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

My friend, Don't forget the upcoming trip to Tibet to study the Buddhist monks and their rainbow bodies! I am generally chatty and particularly will be talking more especially when I meet a friend like you for the first time in person! Moreover, it makes sense to talk as much as I like before the trip as I never know what would be the impact of me experiencing the Buddhist monks and their rainbow bodies! They are known for their silence and solitude! If we end up making this trip, I promise you to buy a delicious Tibetan dinner consist of Memo, Tibetan Sausage, Ginseng Fruit Rice, and Yak Yogurt. What a relief it would be from burnt mushrooms and a destroyed mini-cooker!

I will ensure I don't carry any camera with me.

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  8. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I am the grand slam winner in chatathons. No one can beat my motor-mouth! I can talk the two dozen hind legs off a donkey. No stranger, apna, anyone with a quirky connect, I could talk off like a turbo chatter! That's my bio in short.

Even the most authentic Tibetan restaurant might not come up with such imaginative menu. I am in! Yakky yaky in! Tibet has been on my travel list since the last five births. Hope I visit in the coming years.

Ek baar, I planned with a tour operator. Suitcase wootcase bandh lee, then, cannot recall why I abandoned the plan. These days I exhilarate myself with a Nat Geo tv show titled 'From Above' presenting aerial footage of popular destinations. Spectacular! Imagine, if only Taktsang Monastery finds a place in that listing.

You'd better do that! Else, I would frighten you by pinning a disclosure sticker to your travel bag stating: 'No flash or otherwise photography allowed around me. Your camera will be confiscated and donated to the yak herders of the Tsangpo Valley'.

Viswamitra and Rihana like this.