1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I A Feminist? Even If I Am -is That Bad ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by winterhue, Feb 25, 2021.

1. citygirl

citygirl New IL'ite

Feminism is about equality and without feminists, we wouldn’t have the rights we take for granted. It is not a dirty word.

My views are simple, women should have the freedom to follow their dreams. And we should be bringing up our daughters to be the next Prime Minister / Scientist / Pilot or whatever else they want to be. Women are capable of contributing so much to the society not just to their families.

TV shows & movies that promote stereotyped gender roles are not doing anyone any favours.

winterhue and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

This scene is exactly what's wrong with our society. Serials like these set an expectation that the 'DIL' of every household MUST have some specific traits - dresses in extremely conversative Indian wear 24/7, cooks 24/7, puts everyone else (even if it is her husband's girlfriend) 24/7 , etc etc etc. Even a slight diversification from these traits automatically turns you in to the 'villian' of the household.
    You are NOT a feminist, you are NORMAL!! That was a NORMAL reaction, not a FEMINIST reaction. A feminist reaction would be if you had said that the elder DIL and middle DIL demanding the 2 brothers to make chai for them instead of just sitting on their arses.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana,

Why that need to be said unless a woman is looking to raise the children on a full-time basis? It has to be a decision that each family makes consciously.

Life is filled with responsibilities. Raising a child is only one of them. If one doesn't discriminate between the type of responsibilities, earning a living, upkeep of the house, building relationship with friends and family members, saving money for future and financial management, caring for the health and hygiene of the family members, etc. are equally important responsibilities. One can't be judged by the role they play, as quality of life is dependent on all of them. Not only the words, but thoughts and actions should reflect the equality of the genders.

This perception is deceptive and leads to discriminating the contributions of each individual in the family. If it exists within the family, it creates a dent in the quality of life. If that perception exists in society, it is because of the way life was led for many hundred years in the past.

Progressiveness is achieved from the freedom of thinking, right to speak, and perform actions in the best interest of the common good. This rule applies to the family as well. Social names such as "Feminist" is only a perception of how one's action is viewed by the other but in reality, progressiveness happens through understanding and appreciating the role of each other.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Sreevidyaa

Sreevidyaa Silver IL'ite

Most serials are focused on TRP. They are targeting the audience who are watching the serials and mostly female audience and female oriented subjects. They are also targeting elderly audience who make a large chunk of the viewers in India. For them they need a more feminine portrayal which are shown in these series. Otherwise they won’t get the ratings they need to continue the series. They need dils who do seva for their in laws without any hesitation who will not talk back and they will do service with devotion. I do watch some and it’s just a pass time. They wear full make up with sarees and perfect accessories at any time of day or night. :) It’s not at all reflecting our true society most of time. I can keep on talking about the absurdities all day long but I still see just for time pass. I recently saw an episode where an amnesiac after many years got to know her previous history only to forget again due to an another incident, in another serial there was girl who literally came back to life after being drowned for many hours atleast by the time frame they showed. Most of these serials are like that and we shouldn’t take them seriously. But many in India do take them seriously which is problem by itself.

winterhue likes this.