1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ultracrepidarianism

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Feb 21, 2021.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

• Ultracrepidarianism
    • I was reading Think Like A Freak by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner author of Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics, and this difficult to pronounce word meaning - the habit of giving opinion and advice on matters outside of one's knowledge or competence attracted me because the most difficult three words in English language are ' I don't know' and not ' I love you' (again borrowed from the book).
    • One reason is that saying 'I don't know' cost a lot particularly of reputation. No body wants to look stupid so pretending is safe. Also if you are wrong, people will forget over time. Bejan Daruwala's predictions for example.
    • These 'know all' guys are in every field-politics, economics, sociology, astronomy, home remedies, stock market, child raising- to name a few.
    • We live in a age of Google and information is flowing freely so number of people saying 'i don't know' are less but then number of people asking advice are also less. Who needs an advisor when Baba Google is available 24x7.
    • But then there are times when 'I don't know' is helpful like somebody asking for direction or unpaid advice. Hundreds of consultants live on paid advice. It's a profession.

iyerviji, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

An ultracrepidarian is a person who offers opinions beyond their own knowledge. When someone speaks as an authority on a subject that they have only limited knowledge of.

I see this happening regularly - but I think there are some social aspects here.

Let me give an example -

In my friends circle, there are several teens, all the families come to me for any education/career advice.

My husband's closest friend calls me database - but for any advice he will call DH first to talk, rant, discuss and dissect - and he comes to me only once his head is clear and he knows what he is looking for. So till then my DH is being forced into the role of an ultracrepidarian.

Another example -

Take 2 couples - Couple A fight a lot, Couple B listens to their rants, discuss and dissect the couple A's marriage - and give advice like an ultracrepidarian.

The fighting couple A follows the advice partially, have some good moments, but are not consistent, never tell this to couple B but come back to rant about the next fight!

Couple B finally starts to tell them - We are done advising you, you are never consistent, please go to a counsellor/psychiatrist - but couple A keep coming back to couple B to complain and rant about their spouses!
    Here couple A is expecting couple B to be the ultracrepidarians!

I feel ultracrepidarian is a fancy name for a sounding board.
    Ultracrepidarians are made ultracrepidarians by the people who are asking them the questions that are beyond their capacity!

Note: I saw a new word and gave myself homework to write 5 sentences using the word ! Checklist done for the day :banana:

Keep smiling
    HR

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

OMG!!!!!!!!! I took more time to read the titl of this thread than the thread itself. Yes the know-all guys are a plague but the world is swarming with them. There are more people who THINK that they know than those who actually know.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

"I don't know: don't know what you say" - the phrase turned popular with the song "therray marey beechmay" from Ek Tuje Keliyae.

In tamil nadu when a stranger asks for direction, few would only gesture by hand "go forward". One person like this advised going only forward had reached Tirupathi instead of Thanjavur.
    This phrase " I don't know" rings a bell of one's experience when he from one state travels into another.

"Nangu Gothilla" in karnataka.
    "Humko or mujay - malum nahi" in Maharashtra.
    "Meeku theliyaledhu " in Andhra Pradesh & so on.

The worst that can happen to one who listen to such advise from only one stranger-person and proceeds is that he would be proceeding exactly in the opposite direction.
    Imagine when deaf persons acts like Ultracrepidarians and render such advise..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    iyerviji and HariLakhera like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:that is nice way not only adding new words to one's vocab but also for remembering and retrieving when required.
    Our recognition vocab may be several times larger than functional one. Many words one tend to use while writing but not or never in speech.
    When a friend was negotiating left instead of right, his friend sitting next told " no no don't turn to left. It is culdesac". That man is mon ami from France. Trust we text from chez nou.
    Thanks and regards.

HariLakhera and hrastro like this.
  6. HariLakhera

Interesting examples. I had a boss who could talk on any subject under the sky (of course, not for long) and when poked further by a person more knowledgable on the subject would take refuse under some urgent work waiting.
    I think 'sounding box' are people who can give their ears and give advice. Ultracrepidarians are know all type and would never say I do not know.
    And then there are who charge for an advice like lawyers and consultants. They would be one to say 'I do not know' for unpaid services.

Thyagarajan and hrastro like this.
  7. HariLakhera

Right, I find it difficult to pronounce the word itself. Yes there are people who fancy showing off about their knowledge, real or fake.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. HariLakhera

In Delhi, there is every a possibility of wrong direction because either he does not know but does not want to show that he does not know or he does know but misdirects on purpose.
    In Calcutta, I had very different and pleasant experience. The gentleman asked me to follow him and showed me the place. In another case, my brother arrived late night by train and unable to locate my residence, ( In that locality houses were haphazardly numbered, depending on the date of registration) knocked on a door. An old man opens the door, listens to him, asks him in come in, brings out a map of the locality and pins the place. he comes out and tells the taxi driver the exact direction and turns not very far off.
    No wonder, Kolkata is called the cultural city of India.

iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. HariLakhera

Looks you are multilingual Sir!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

Thank you for writing this snippet. What you say is true in the religious and spiritual fields as well. They could completely misdirect people seeking advice. Any suggestion to blindly follow the spiritual or religious leader is a fallacy as inquiry is the best path to discriminate right from wrong.

"I don't know" is the best sentence for people who are willing to learn more and there is no age limit. Sometimes, age prohibits people from admitting that they don't know something. I was CFO of a premier R & D organization in India when I was 34 and most engineers who worked for this R & D organization were fresh out of college. They learned in the job about how to build hardware and software for parallel computing applications and they shared so much with all of us. Our curiosity made us read and discuss so much with these young brilliant minds. As long as one is willing to listen irrespective of age, many doors are open to learning more and more as learning is a life-long exercise.

The word is complex and practicing it can cause considerable havoc and create a learning disability.

iyerviji, HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.