Which Frying Pan To Buy

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by MrCroc, Feb 14, 2021.

1. MrCroc

MrCroc Silver IL'ite

Mr Croc Jr was born in 2019. He is now going towards 2 years old and likes to eat early in the morning.
    Mrs Croc have job till late in evening and is really tired so breakfast is my responsibility these days.

MrCroc Jr loves omelettes! With lots of cheese! yum!

Trouble is I am really really really worried about my frying pan. They have some weird teflon coating BUT the coating comes off and aluminium base is showing now.

We also try to avoid additional fats for my omelette. My family side has cholesterol problem so I take precaution. I usually cook egg white omelettes for me.

So I am trying to get a decent non-stick(ish) Frying Pan. It seems ..... those do no exist!

There are non stick frying pans like I have with teflon or PTFE coating but they have problem that I have mentioned. Also, I found if over-heated they can release bad fumes.

There are non stick frying pans with ceramic coating (https://www.amazon.ca/GreenPan-CC002481-001-Ceramic-Frying-Turquoise/dp/B07Y8ZTRLH)
    They are non stick. Good!
    Ceramic is non toxic. Super Good!
    BUT!
    Reviews tell us Ceramic coating chips and loses non stick properties in weeks for those who use it everyday. :( . NOT good!

There are pure ceramic frying pans (Ceramic Skillet Options | 100% Pure Ceramic Skillets by Xtrema Cookware). These are VERY hard to use and are NOT non stick without copious amount of oil.

There are cast iron frying pans (https://www.amazon.ca/Pre-Seasoned-Cookware-Heat-Resistant-Stovetop-Induction/dp/B074WZL42S). Iron is safe. But they need seasoning and putting oil on it constantly otherwise, they are hard to clean after cooking eggs on it.

There USED to be glass/ceramic frying pans called pyroceram frying pan. They were really good! They are almost indestructible. Always smooth. Somewhat non-stick. BUT.... No one makes them these days :(. Only "vintange" pieces are in the market ie used ones. (https://www.amazon.ca/Vintage-Corning-Pyroceram-Microwave-Browning/dp/B0096CH3SU).

Last, the closest I found to my need is called "Flame Ceramic" cookware from a french company called Emile Henry . I haven't found a skillet or frying pan but closest I could find was this : Fondue Set . Its not a frying pan. Its ... i dont know what it is but I think I can cook scrambled eggs in it easily... I hope. Since it is ceramic, its going to be non - toxic. Its expensive however.

I am leaning towards that french thing. Does anyone knows any better thing / frying pan? I want it to be "non-stick"ish, "non-toxic" and long lasting.

Right now even after sending money, I will only get something that is not even a frying pan.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

A 2 year old can handle a little extra butter.... i s/he is already eating cheesed omelette.
    Dont buy the fondu thing. Other than that, you can make anything nonstick by rbbing a cut onion on a hot skillet, and adding extra butter.

Check out this video:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

gknew likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

@DDream ,
    How often you season then in oven? I season with oil after every use and seasoned in oven once in an year or more. But sometimes it's sticky. Do we need to season it often?

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Seasoned cast iron skillet is the best - many people dont get the temperature right, so they need to use some grease and muscle to remove the first dosa/pancake

You need to heat the pan very well, then apply butter/oil with a a brush and then add the batter on top of the oiled part.

It comes out almost like non-stick without the risk of teflon and health aspects

@gknew
    I have > 15 pans of cast iron - for different purposes - but I'm in India and they are very cheap!
    I usually wash with soap after use, and then heat it or sun-dry to remove dampness. Then a brush with oil keeps it fine. I wipe it with a tissue paper or cloth. If I'm not going to use it for a long time, I heat it, let it cool and keep where it is not damp.

Many people dont apply soap at all - they just wipe it after use and keep it aside.

I do the full seasoning once a year.

Thyagarajan and gknew like this.
  6. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Ceramic pans don't lose their nonstick quality so soon. I have been using 1

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

If I feel its sticking due to any reason, I go for seasoning. But in my experience, its like a non stick pan. Wiping is ok, if its clean. If I find anything on it, I use a scrub to clean it. After washing it, I warm it again to make sure there is no water and apply a layer of oil. As I use the pan very often, its on my stove most of the time. I think its a good idea to maintain medium level heating for cooking. If you dont use it often, store it in a dry place.

gknew likes this.
  8. MrCroc

MrCroc Silver IL'ite

In my humble opinion, Cast Iron or "Blue Steel" / "Carbon steel" has been used for hundreds of years now and should be safe.

Ceramic (pure clay ceramic like the one made by those french companies) can be safe provided that for glazing they are not using some heavy metal like lead. Many cheap pieces are glazed with lead and can be poisonous. That said a well made clay pottery with proper glazing are one of the oldest kind of pots and known to be very inert and safe.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Throughout day till past midnight and all 365 days omelettes are made in tea stalls and in street carts in various sizes. They use only cast iron that is well oiled. And that omelette seems to be far more delicious as per comments from their patrons.
    The prestige teflon coated and the one ceramic coated spoiled within 6 months. One scratch or wrong sharp scratch enough to get teflon coating damaged and once damaged the portion that disappears, actually had gone into stomach. Teflon is carcinogenic and might cause or contribute cancer.