1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best “sewing Kit” For An 8 Year Old?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Feb 15, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi..my DD wants a sewing kit and there are so many in Amazon..are there any kids sewing kit which is safe?links would be appreciated..
    She wants to cut and make little skirts for dolls stuff like that..

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Any that have 500+ reviews and rating over 4 stars should be good to try. There's no way to predict if kid will like it. As long as it engages them for 1-3 hours, worth it. If it says it is for kids, it will be safe.

Note that the sewing "kits" will come with their own project ideas and materials. The kit and the equipment that comes with it usually cannot be used to try out totally different ideas.

Kits like this one are called sewing kits but definitely not safe for 7-8 year old: https://www.amazon.com/SEWING-Quality-Sewing-Supplies-Spools/dp/B01MU831Q2/ Also don't buy any kit that comes with a "toy" plastic and pink sewing machine.

A good rule of thumb would be not to buy any kit that has bobbins and needles. : ) And any that say "hand-held" or "portable" sewing machine and look like a stapler are not worth buying, even for adult to use.

Based on user reviews and pictures, I liked this one: https://www.amazon.com/Craft-tastic-Projects-Sewing-Stitches-Embroidery/dp/B0749W9PJ5/

For more "serious" sewing, this book is perfect if mom doesn't mind spending some time on sewing with the kid.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sewing-School-®-Projects-Kids/dp/1603425780/ In the preview, I loved the instructions on how to gather the supplies.

anika987 and Hopikrishnan like this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

^^^This. Such things always look easy-peasy on youtube videos selling them. Usually men buy these (DIY pant leg hemming), and find that out.

For kids projects in making dresses for dolls, glue-ing rather than sewing is a safer way to go: there are youtube videos of how-to. There are many safe glues for kids to use. Glueing is also used in making fabric flowers..... in case the doll is from hawaii, bali or India.

anika987 likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I bought to change the length of drapes. Novices that we were we installed the very high ceiling wala room drapery rods without too much accuracy. The drapes were a good 5 inches off the ground like my long ago friend used to wear her saree - we used to say she is always ready for floods. : )

Hopikrishnan and anika987 like this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Many many years ago, when i had landed to US and had time, i had bought some craft sewing kits from walmart that need to sew by hand and everything was in the kit. Plastic yarn needle ( since it was for kids, but it was fun for me) and cut outs with instructions. I sewed up door hanger with hand ... .
    I do not see that stuff anymore in walmarts etc but how about visiting micheals or joanns. I recently saw Frozen scarf diy kit ( no sewing really, just glueiing appliques gems stones , hand sewing etc ), good for an 8 yr old.

anika987 likes this.