1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

That Playful Spiritual Being!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. – Richard Bach

I have had a couple of intense weeks what with some meditation classes, some yoga sutra studies, some intense conversations with an aunt and uncle on philosophy and life – all of it seemingly asking me to try to be the best version of me. It can get to you, you know! Do not get me wrong. I loved the meditation challenge. I loved the conversations. The understanding that came to me is incredible. I am able to understand and respect the fact that “every one is at that point in their life through some struggles…..no matter what we think”. But, what I like the most though is just being! Conversing or thinking intensely is not my strong suit.

I sit looking out the window at the dull yard in contemplation, pausing what I am doing. The weather report promises a sunny day, temperatures building up to a high of 32F by 4 pm. I smile. I know that sun is welcoming, no matter the temperature! I draw my attention back to the piece of paper on which I am making a rangoli. This has been an activity that absolutely helps me keep calm, rejuvenates me and one that I miss so very much. While every festival is an opportunity to make a pattern at the front door, winters get particularly hard. So here I am sitting with a dot kolam, struggling to see the pattern and not able to, staring out the window. This struggle brings to mind the mandalas that many people in my yoga group are familiar with and the conversations around it. I am always surprised with their amazement at mandals! The number of rangolis made and cleaned in India are not even given a second thought! Given, making mandala is a different story. I am also not attached to the rangolis I make either, no matter how beautiful it comes out. How is gardening different from making a mandala or a rangoli even? All that back breaking work through spring and summer only to see the work wither away come fall and winter, and the cycle continues. Yet, I am eager to get out and can't wait to get my hands dirty! Continuing to look through the window, I am enthralled with the trees standing bare, showing their true form without the camouflage of leaves. The beauty of course, is in the eyes of the beholder. The Sunrise is rising earlier by the day, even if only by a minute and the trees look breathtakingly beautiful. I sigh, taking another look at the design in front of me and suddenly I see a pattern that I had missed earlier! I am thrilled. I am busy finishing off what I had started. Finally! Perhaps it is my mom coming in my dreams often this past week, asking me to relax - one time inviting me to sit down with her friends with a glass of wine and another time, enacting a scene telling me life is just an adventure, asking me to enjoy it. I must have gotten pretty serious about myself, if my mom who was the most serious person I ever knew, is asking me not to take me so seriously!

I realize that “thoughts create a world inside us and then there is this beautiful world around us, the external or outside world.” Mindfulness is being aware of those inner thoughts, realizing their ephemeral nature and reconnecting with the world around! It is easy to lose that connection you know. I have been reading stories about barbies and role models, the inspiration presidents take from what they surround themselves with and such! As I light the lamp to God before I head out to work, I too wonder about role models and inspirations but for now, all I can think of is a four-year-old who one time had asked me if it was God’s Happy Birthday as I lit the lamp while he was playing in the room! What a beautiful thought that is! Talking of birthdays, I get a birthday wish once a day, sometimes even twice or thrice and yes, I do age as rapidly as the wishes come, aging by four years in a single day! These young minds that I teach have been struggling to find my actual age. So, every day is “happy 34thth or 50th or 52nd birthday Mrs.S” and as of yesterday I am already 64 years old!

I walk into my classroom armed with the word of the day – Gobbledygook. I explain the word and look around for a reaction. After some laughter and excitement trying to say the word, a hand goes up and this kiddo sheepishly yet wanting to be the class clown goes “If a smart kid speaks nonsense all the time, can he be called a Gobbledygeek?” Despite myself, I burst out into laughter finally losing all that seriousness I had built around myself the past couple of weeks! I feel instantly light hearted. The week seems to have just begun and we are already into a snow day! Who would have thunk shoveling snow can be so much fun! I am glad that shoveling seems like a normal thing (at least) to do in these unusual times and yes, I did say “thunk” for my students always choose to use these unusual words every now and then just to get me to say “Come on, kiddos you speak one language. Do it well!” Little rascala…s :hearteyes: Kids I tell you. Perhaps I have tapped into that spiritual playful being, finally -for now at least!

shyamala1234, Anisu, Mistt and 3 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What a beautiful narration, Sabitha. You seem to lead a charmed existence with such adoring and adorable kids around you. All I can say to that is tathaastoo. I have reached a point where I want to withdraw into my own cocoon and keep wishing my parents would care to come and spend more time with me in my dreams. God knows I need them so badly!

Love all the gobbledygook and gobbledygeek. :-D This kid who came up with the gobbledygeek must be quite a smart kid himself! :-D

Srama likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You have a way with words, Srama! Oh what a way you have!

Rising earlier by the day, even if only by a minute ...
    sheepishly yet wanting to be the class clown ...

Priceless.

Srama likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Thank you as always for your lovely words and the feedback. I do have to tell you that the young minds around me give me a chance to look at life differently, every single day!
    It is now my turn to say "thathasthoo" to you :0) Between you and me, I do truly believe you can invite them to come spend tome with you :) I know it sounds crazy but when the heart longs, it happens.

Oh this kiddo! He is something else. The knowledge they possess blows me away! I quite enjoy interacting with all of them.

satchitananda likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh dear Rihana!!!
    Thank you! I am all :biggrin::biggrin: and :biggrin: as I head out!

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

What a delightful read this snippet is! You don't get tired of writing such wonderful snippets and hence I am not going to be tired of appreciating you for such wonderful threads! Bach's quote right in front of the thread already set the high standard for the snippet. Triggering the playful spiritual being to participate in the play is a life-long game. When all the toys it has (body, mind, and intellect) become a role model Barbies, playful spiritual being comes alive.

I am going to keep this sentence to ring in my ears all the time whenever my mind drifts me from remaining a being.

Wow! Your phrases are poetic the way you write! To express those words in writing, one needs to trigger the playful spiritual being.

Lighting a lamp is indeed a celebration of the birth of a being that gets connected with its divine qualities. That is how the learned people connect the wisdom one creates to remove the ignorance.

I am so happy that this thread is already nominated by @Rihana. @iyerviji and @Rihana beat me all the time with their selections ahead of me. Our collective goal is to get those wonderful threads and responses to reach as many ILites as possible.

I hope my response is decent enough not to be called gobbledygook.

Srama likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

it is all only gobbledygeek's here :) Thank you as always for your warm response. Thank you for assuring me that you don't get tired of responding and appreciating. I know I can get repetetive but the truth is I cannot write if I cannot feel. So when I write, I realize that that is/was my state of mind. Gives me hope, for myself :) Been missing reading Bach for a while now and somehow with mom in my dreams, Bach had to come up.

Thank you V sir for your appreciative words for the way I write. With students, thankfully I am able to connect at one on one level and able to understand them better and help them navigate their way. They always help me see the lighter and brighter things of life!

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Beautiful snippet!
    Famous Telugu writer Latha used to write a column in a magazine long back "oohaganalu". You know what means. Used to spin beautiful column out of small small mundane sights that we see every day. You can spin prose in the form of poetry out of a kolam or a leafless snowclad tree which is a routine thing. You have the sixth sense.
    The new word gobbledygook, is my spelling right? Reminds me me of Shashi Tharoor English!!!! Can never understand! I googled and knew the meaning of it!
    Playful spirituality....Yes, spirituality need not be serious. In the roller coaster of the day why not playful spirituality too!!!!
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

Thank you for your warm feedback. I throw a word a day challenge - so we do play with words everyday. I am surprised how much kids love it.

You are right about that. God does have a sense of humor and why should we take ourselves so seriously tell me? I am beginning to like that idea after all that seriousness!