1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 Vaccines - Updates And Questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rihana, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Some of the counties don’t have the required doses. Our county got 8,000 doses so far and there are 400,000 people registered for 1a/1b. Our county website has started giving instructions on registering at multiple locations outside the county, getting surplus by standing in line at distribution centers at other counties, hospitals in neighboring counties if you are patients there and so on and so forth. The two neighboring counties have started vaccinating people outside of 1a/1b because of their surpluses. I don’t understand how a highly populous county gets skipped for vaccine doses.

Rihana likes this.
  2. Laks09

Not all of the 70+ crowd are tech savvy. India seems to be having a better plan with voter id. We have so sec data. They could have called and given appointments for seniors instead of the online form filling thing.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, it was stories in the newspaper of people in the 70, 75+ group struggling with online appointments systems that I was left shaking my head. Not all of them have children or neighbors, friends to help.

I was reading again about how Covid was controlled in Dharavi-Mumbai. There must have been many factors that helped the effort, but still commendable how they went about it. One million people living in 2.1 sq km!

COVID-19 Containment in Asia’s Largest Urban Slum Dharavi-Mumbai, India: Lessons for Policymakers Globally
    Dharavi, Asia’s largest and densely populated urban slum, has successfully contained the COVID-19 with its innovative public health policy response. The municipal administration called this model as “chasing the virus” rather than waiting for people to report it.

The WHO has also acknowledged on Dharavi’s success in controlling the virus spread and mentioned that “Dharavi should be seen as an example across the world.” The WHO has also stated that the Dharavi model is based on community engagement, testing, tracing, isolating, and treating for breaking the chain of transmission.
    The Dharavi model becomes the template for the policymakers and public health practitioner globally for breaking the chain of transmission and flattening the curve in densely packed urban slum communities around the world. This is also important to note that Dharavi model is ideal of setting where social distancing is impossible or difficult to follow.

Dharavi was able to successfully flatten the curve in 2 months with its COVID-19 response strategy of actively following four T’s—tracing, tracking, testing, and treating. This approach included activities like proactive screening and robust surveillance.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana,

So far I have made 5 attempts to get an appointment online, 1) Hillsborough County, 2) Pinellas County, 3) Orange County, Orlando, 4) University Mall in Tampa and 5) Pubix Supermarket (this was in the morning at 6 a.m.). Someone told me to register my mother-in-law and myself in the statewide preregistration which accepted our registration but the only improvement is a weekly email indicating that we will be called once there are enough doses available. Some suggested calling specific phone numbers and all of those phone numbers were constantly busy with long wait times. So far, I have not gone to a vaccine site and hence I am not aware of any issues about waiting.

Every time, I tried online appointments, the websites keep reloading again and again without taking me to the appointment page. As @Laks09 indicated, if the situation is this bad with seniors, I am not sure what kind of pressure will be built when everyone is offered the vaccine. Pinellas county received 4,200 vaccines for distribution through Publix on Wednesday. I was awake from 4:45 a.m. to log in sharp at 6 a.m. into their website as suggested by the Governor of Florida. All I could do is to watch the website for an hour and 30 minutes and finally, the site announced that all appointments were booked.

The question I ask myself as there is no point in asking these questions to the government officials:

1) Is there a better system to administer doses?
    2) Can preregistration be done with an email ID & each person given a window for the vaccine?
    3) Can the vaccine be administered using the driver's license database automatically whatever time it takes?

The message from government officials in Florida is, the vaccine doses are limited, and hence be quick to register yourself online as these slots are likely to be filled up in minutes. I can't imagine the plight of seniors with no internet connection or unstable internet connection. It looks like it is a competition among the seniors to find these slots quickly and get a shot in their arms.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Are you a resident of Orlando, FL ? Or thereabouts ?
    Is it possible to live there without being able to drive, or owning a car ?
    Your 5-directional option for a vaccine shot makes me wonder if someone without a car were to need a shot, they'd be bummed out.

A friend of mine, who is now living in Cincinnatti, aged 73, decided he'd move to Florida, and wanted to go to Central FL, a little farther away from the hurricane coastline. He hasn't done that yet.
    Now it seems like the annual influenza-shot season is just about as dangerous as the Hurricane season. Is Orlando a good place to move to (without a car driving habit)?

Rihana likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Hopikrishnan,

I am in Tampa Bay area an hour and half drive from Orlando, Florida. If someone is planning to move to Florida without driving, they are doomed to stay at home most of the time as the public transport system in any place in Florida is far from satisfactory when compared to other major cities.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Rihana and Hopikrishnan like this.
  7. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Aside from computer use, this access to healthcare by people who dont have/use cars is not easy in many locations. :weary::weary:

8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

How did you get it done ? Are you working in healthcare? Did you schedule and wait for the dose after seniors dosage?

9. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

How did you get it done? In my county and state, they are giving vaccine only for the healthcare workers and seniors 65+.
    How did you all get it? Are you all working in healthcare?

10. Laks09

Just sheer luck. I go to a gyn in a teaching hospital. Therefore I'm a patient in that hospital. Once they gave all their staff and 1b patients, they started emailing their regular patients to go get the surplus vaccines. Unfortunately, none of my friends or acquaintances are patients there. We've not even registered here in my county. It's slow going for sure.

gknew likes this.