Robinhood, Reddit, Gamestop In Simple Words?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Rihana, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For you @SunPa! WINTER IS COMING!

pgg88t3h4we61.jpg

Rihana, SunPa and EverydayBloom like this.
  2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Laks09
    That's me. Now that I can see where I am, want to run before getting decimated :roflmao:

Might stick with NOK for a while. Down a bit since I bought, just got a small number , money I could afford to lose. DH was saying what happened, till last month I was like , it is all a big bubble , it's gotta crash, no way things can go this high an keep getting higher, we have to be cautious. I am just blaming this on my pms.

Anyways this is taking up way too much time with reading, CNBC, you tube etc. And the memes!
    I live on the other side of the earth, slept late to check how the prices was moving and when I woke up early hours today, I squinted my eyes to check on my phone for the price, I already know I have to stop. Just let the professionals handle and I go back to being conservative and let my other problems keep me awake at night :-D

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  3. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

LOL.. That is me right now. Learning the hard way the difference between investing and Trading. I see makeup youtubers talking about stocks now.. !!!

SunPa, Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don’t worry too much about it. I’m sure you haven’t invested your entire savings into AMC/NOK. Leave it until summer and see where it goes.
    I always remember Enron during these times. That was my first intro to the stock market in this country. A friend invested a part of her savings into Enron when it first dipped and lost all of it. At that time, the 3000 that she spent on Enron was such a huge amount of money for all of us. Now we laugh about the lost 3000 and the lessons learned.

Rihana and SunPa like this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

here is a brief on how Big investment banks manipulate prices, and futures, on the market.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I read that reddit deep** , that guy is smart. he saw balance sheets of gme , and saw how cash rich the company was . so he started buying a year when it 2 something. soon he started sharing this views in wsb as the stock was shorted more than 100% ( in layman terms, the hegde funds are betting on selling more than the number of shares in the market). this caught fire and then when more buyers came, hedge folks got in squeeze to buy backs the shares at higher prices.

it is amazing analysis.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: ) The rest of the family has those calls weekly, people from many countries. I join once a month. Got to know in offline conversation with sibling that janta has been merrily socializing and getting together. Most of the meetings are by people in their 40's and 50's going to "felicitate" elders in their 80's and 90's. Felicitation is not for big events like 60th or 75th or 80th b'day ... it is like for becoming a great-grandfather. :buenrollo: And the newborn is in another country..... !!

Anyway, said sibling suggested I keep my opinion about the socializing to myself... I decided to skip the call itself......

Learned a lot from the thread though.. so I am glad I started it ...

SunPa likes this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

This pandemic has definitely made family zoom calls a thing. I put it on the TV so dad can hear from better.

Things seem back to normal in India - sigh! fingers crossed . Weddings , going to movies, get togethers - shrug

Anyway, glad that you started this thread :blush:
    I got pulled into the AMC thanks to a call with a sibling , If I have a loss, I am going to send the bill to him :biggrin:

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My kid connected "The Great Indian Kitchen" to TV so I can hear better...... ROFL. : )

That movie review and after movie thoughts tomorrow....

Shubh ratri. : )

SunPa likes this.
  10. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Slate explains the Viacom-CBS stock price drop from $100 to $40 in a couple days... in an article titled "Dumbest Financial Story of the year"
    • Company goes out to launch a new stock issue
    • An investment researcher writes about the real value of the stock
    • Company's share holders panic and sell their holdings
    • A big holder (unknown to Viacom-CBS because of the manner of the holdings can be held secret) was forced to cover margin calls and sells more
    • Stock price drops even further
    How do you protect yourself from this stupidity ? Bet on a variety of companies and hope that the stupidity only happens in a small number of your diversified holdings.

viacom-cbs stock price graph - Google Search

Flyhigher likes this.