1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Information About Wppsi Iv

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by regjusttoreply, Jun 28, 2020.

1. regjusttoreply

regjusttoreply New IL'ite

My son is 3 years 8 months old.
    He is bit advanced for his age.He knows alphabets, numbers, around 50 logos, 2d and 3d shapes (~30), name of the planets and dwarf planets their relative shapes and order from Sun. He makes Saturn with play dough and adds a play dough ring to it, marks Jupiter great red spot etc. He can read close to 40 board books though makes mistakes when encounters new words. He is not too sharp to just to pickup when he was told just once or twice. Even after told him tvo kids should be pronounced as tvo kids, he still says two kids. When he was played human body video from national geography close to 10 times, he was able to say the major functions of human body from one of the slides in the order 'Skeletal, Muscular, Cardio Vascular, Nervous, Endocrine, Lymphatic, Respiratory, Digestive, Urinary and Reproductive'. Even to write the list here I had to pause his recorded video twice to write the list and order correct. He is able to draw some pictures with shapes in MS Paint and power point and apply various animation effects to the pictures. He is able to read atleast 50% animation effects names. He can do some single digit additions and subtractions, say 2,3,10 and 11 multiplication tables.

We are looking preK and K private schools in US. Top schools say they take only students with 130+ in WPPSI-IV test. Any of you have experience with this test, how hard is to get that score? Are these schools only for child prodigies? I don't think my kid is that bright, should I look for schools with bit lower excellence? Location is not issue, we are planning to move where ever he gets admission. Any input is welcome.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    startinganew likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don't have any experience with this test in particular. Some thoughts in general:

1. Read up extensively about the test if you haven't already. Look for education, schooling or gifted and talented kids forums. I searched in a website I know and found this: Test Prep Guide for the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence™ (WPPSI™) - The Critical Thinking Co.™

2. For any such testing or the annual standardized testing schools do, the standard advice to parents is "the child cannot/ need not study or prepare for it, just ensure the child is well-rested and has a good breakfast." I've found that to be a bit misleading. Practicing a few times before the test, being familiar with the format of the questions and able to answer questions for that duration of time matter.

3. Most important:
    How hard is it to get that score (130+)?
    For a child this young, the approach should be "how can we help him achieve the score he is already capable of." As children grow older, say 3rd/4th grade or higher, they are ready to start working towards goals like "get this score in a math test", "complete 10 problems in 15 minutes....".

4. Get some test prep bundles and work on them in small chunks of time, making sure the child is enjoying the challenge at all times. It takes some parental intuition to identify if the child is doing it out of natural interest or for the approval or pride so obvious in the parent.

5. You wrote that you are willing to move wherever he gets admission. That is a huge family decision for a child this young, so I am mentioning this: read about the WPPSI test and similar tests, and go over the things you listed he can do. How many of these are examples of a good memory and repeated exposure. Check with kids where you live and compare.

6. Looks like the WWPSI test has two age bands. 2:6-3:11 and 4 years to 7:3. If you are going to get him tested, try to do it before he turns 4. Usually (not always), these tests are harder for the youngest in an age group though they do account for that in the test.

7. Always go with your intuition. There will be parents who discourage what you are trying to do (like I did in point 5 above : ) Unless the parent has direct experience with what you are trying, don't pay much heed to "let children be children", "do not put pressure on child" and such well-meaning advice.

8. There was some such test that was popular in my school district. It used to be administered at school and kids who didn't get the required score could have it administered at a psychologist's office. There were psychologists in the area who were know to be more "cooperative" with the parents. : ) Nothing unprofessional but just more understanding of why the child is taking the test.

nayidulhan and startinganew like this.
  3. regjusttoreply

Rihana,

Thats a lot of good information appreciate it.

Have signed up for a membership on another website and had a look at the sample question. Those were good fun for both of us. Without preparation or not knowing the format before hand at this time and age I don't think he will be able to clear them.

Yes ‘the child cannot/ need not study or prepare for it’ is a kind of misleading. But do they need only students who could excel even without preparation? I think only children those are 4 or more years advanced than their peers can perform these tests so well spontaneously.

Though I googled for the exam missed to notice the detail two age bands. Planning to get him give the test in 2:6-3:11 age range with Educational Psychologist. Not for this school but atleast to understand whether he will fit in a school that required higher intelligence.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  4. regjusttoreply

@Rihana @Laks09 And ladies with older kids, please reply.

We got our son evaluated for WPPSI-IV, and he scored 134.

We are applying for Private Schools for PreK application. 1. The Nueva School, California which has WPPSI-IV cut off of 130 for applying, 2. GreenHill, Addison TX and 3. BB&N, Massachussets.

Searched in Niche.com the top private schools, removed schools from too big cities like New York and Washington DC, then these three cities/states thought ok and applied.

Seriously not sure if he would get into The Nueva School. As the application considering cut off itself 130 it could be that the other kids are Prodigies, concerned if our kid would fall behind in case if he gets admission and join him. Any ideas on this? suggestion? In case if he gets selected planning to join him and see if he likes and where he stands in the class? Also most of the kids are going to come from very very rich background, we are like any new first generation immigrants here. Also city is very expensive buying a house may be hard. But this school has SAT avg score 1500. I have more reasons to skip this school but avg SAT score 1500 weigh's high. He is our only kid, don't have any known older kids, so not sure if more importance should be given to the avg SAT score at this point.

I think he may get selected for GreenHill School, Addison Texas. This school and Addison Texas seems to be a best option in many ways, city is affordable compared to The Nueva School, good city for my H's career opportunities. But the SAT avg score is only 1400.

BB&N, Massachussets is also same as GreenHill bit more expensive than Addison Texas, may be bit lesser opportunities for my H than Texas.

We are not rich, but strongly feel instead of buying brand cars and big house, spending on kid's education is meaningful, if private school education is going to give even 20% more advantage than public schools. Honestly not sure if my thinking is correct.

We live in Minnesota, as mentioned in first post have plans to move to different city in a year or two. If kid gets admission, me and kid would be moving this year, H will follow next year. Kid is very much attached to dad and dad helps with 80% of getting him ready to school, pick up and drop off, feeding him, shower, brushing all. For kid going to be away from dad is going to be hard. But not sure if he would score this high next year and if he will be able to get admission to these schools next year. He attends a Montessori school here, not sure if that would keep him at the same level as this year. If for sure I know he would get into any of these schools next year, I would 100% wait for a year and try next year. For 2021-2022 admissions my H will also be in a better place to know which city he may be able to move and we could find a better school there. Should I wait? Moving this year will force my H to look for a job where me and kid move, or if he don't find we may have to look for a different school where my H finds a job.

After all these a big question is still hanging. Almost all Indian kids attend Public Schools just a very very tiny percentage attends Private Schools. Are we making wrong decision to opt for Private School. Would he be able to do the same as in Public Schools in good schools? Kid does not listen to me when it comes to studies, but gets motivated in school when other students read or write. It is hard to make him do a 3 pages of home work every day. If he is off a kind that listens, Public schools and my engagement may be able to match Private School contribution. He is 4 year and 4 moths old. Would he do better when he grows up? Also the psychologist who evaluated him mentioned he may get bored at regular school and he needs more challenging curriculum.

I was searching google, came through this
    The Best Schools in Boston 2009 (For You and Your Kid)
    where it says.
    “Attending a private school increases your chances of getting into a good college but decreases your chances of getting into a really good college,” says Gaztambide-Fernandez. “A lot of these students could have done very well in their local public schools, and maybe that would have put them in a better place to get into Harvard or Yale. In an elite school, they’re competing with many of the same types of students; it’s harder to stand out. There’s a chance going private might actually diminish your college chances.”

I have came across similar comments some where else too. So is it not much worth but really a big disadvantage to put in Private School in case if he falls in middle of bottom of the class? Is it really good to be on top of local public schools than being in middle or lower end in elite schools?

Thanks for any valuable suggestions

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@regjusttoreply - Thank you for the tag. I have no personal experience with college prep private schools.
    @Rihana is the best person when it comes to school suggestions.

Since your son is so young, you should probably go by what is the best environment for him currently. Is he going to be challenged enough and will he have a good social group would be my main concerns when I look for something for a kid that age.

SAT scores aren’t the only thing colleges look at. They look at a variety of other things - grades, leadership, extra curriculars, national level competitions, essays, recommendation letters, internships, volunteer activities and so on.

Look at the school as a whole. What’s the student teacher ratio in higher grades? What other than academics do they encourage? How well equipped are they to help a child in non academic pursuits?
    It’s best you visit the schools, see the class, talk to a few of the teachers and then make a decision. Ensure the school is offering what you want. If possible, check with other parents who have kids going to the same school to get their perspectives on it.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on what you decide.

Lalithambigai and Mistt like this.
  6. regjusttoreply

@Laks09 Thanks for the response.

"will he have a good social group" is a good suggestion, should be given more priority, will keep in mind.

Over all for PreK, Nueva ranks #1, BB&N ranks #10 and GreenHill ranks #15
    for High School Nueva ranks #18, BB&N ranks #60 and GreenHill ranks #75

Let us see, yes will keep you posted.

Laks09 likes this.