1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What Is A Fair Rate For A Badminton Class Taught By A High Schooler?

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Bay Area' started by englishtutorjul, Jan 20, 2021.

1. englishtutorjul

englishtutorjul Silver IL'ite

Trying to get an estimate. The tutor has played at national tournaments, but has not actually taught anyone except her sibling. I asked her to propose a rate but she told me to give her whatever I thought was reasonable. Looking for an estimate so that I don’t end up lowballing. At the same time, I also want to be sure I pay fair.

2. englishtutorjul

Also, this will be a 1:1 class

3. englishtutorjul

4. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

DH's niece takes group lessons for 40$ per session. May be 1:1 classes coasts somewhere around 50$-70$ per hour.

englishtutorjul likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If it is the SFO bay area, I would suggest starting off with $25 per hour. Tell the coach something like, "I am also hiring a teen coach for the first time. Let's start with $25 per hour, for four classes. I would like you to focus on x,y, z skills in these classes. After four classes, we can further streamline the classes and also talk about the per hour rate."

So, start with an amount but which is subject to change. The "four classes" will give both you and the coach a nice breakpoint to change the amount paid or any other aspect of the classes, including, "would like to pause them for now."

If the coach is the child of a family friend, be prepared to kiss that friendship goodbye. Or at least for it to get impacted for a while. Once money changes hands, expectations set in. Issues like "late for class", short notice for cancellation etc etc crop up.

After couple of bad experiences with high schoolers who offer services like tutoring or house painting for a fee, I hired another two only because they said they are donating their entire earnings from the coaching etc to a non-profit.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    englishtutorjul likes this.