Are Humans Superior To Animals. If So, Do We Have A Right To Terrorize Them?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Jan 17, 2021.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

IL thread on whether to get puppy had me thinking.

Bible says, i.e. Humans have Dominion over Animals.

Who says we have dominance over animals. If you believe in Bible, you believe God gave you this right.

If you don't believe in Bible, do you believe Humans must dominate Animals?

Let's say your answer is "Yes" what rights do we have towards animals?

Sure, we eat them for food because meat has protein that is difficult to obtain in green leafy vegetables (you'd have to eat a lot lot of of leaves).

My Auntie who went vegetarian ended up eating meat due to health condition.

I read somewhere that warrior class have to eat meat to get strength to fight, hence they are lower class than the enlightened Brahmins.

And even if you are vegetarian, aren't you inadvertently eating meat, i.e. Small microorganisms? Isn't that why Jains cover their mouth, so they don't accidentally eat a microorganisms.

Temple Gradin revolutionized how cattle is butchered for food. She says Humans are above Animals, but they must be slaughtered humanely, without pain and suffering. Welcome to Temple Grandin's Official Autism Website

Judiasm says to eat Kosher meat, i.e. where animal is killed quick and painlessly.

But what about hunting?

Some say it is necessary to hunt because animals wreak havoc on humans property. But weren't the animals there first?

And in Hindu tradition, Lord Shiva cut head of elephant to give to his son Bala Ganesha.

In Ramayana didn't Sita ask Ram to get a Deer fir her so she can have its musk or perhaps it's fur (I presume the deer would lose its life)

In Christian tradition, Lord Jesus gave John nets full of fish.

But what about those who hunt for sport? To hang moose head in their living room?

Seems like animal is being terrorized to death for fun instead of providing Hunan sustenance, i.e. Food, clothes, shelter.

And remember there was an animal show that came on TV?

Some blonde Australian (I dunno his name) was fascinated with wildlife. Once on TV it showed him pulling a sea animal's leg (or tentacle) and my Uncle said, "why doesn't this guy leave the poor animal alone?"

A few years later I believe this TV host was killed by an animal he was poking.

Animals are unpredictable.

One lady was passed out and her Labrador (or some "gentle" dog breed) chewed off her face.

Few years back someone on IL narrated an incident where a man raised two dogs since they were puppies and when they hit old they brutally killed him.

Animals used to be the prey. If you believe in evolution, before human minds were developed, the lions would prey on our four-legged ancestors.

Once humans started walking in two legs, cooking their food to release more nutrients they got smart ... Smart enough to leave the jungle and build ashram in forests.

As they say, the rest is history.......

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

How can killing of animals destined for consumption be accomplished without pain and suffering?
    This is only done for pets where a veterinarian administers a sedative followed by the fatal drugs once the pet is asleep. Any animal that is destined for slaughter knows what’s coming, however “humane” people claim it may be.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

:roflmao:
    The Jains wearing masks, and/or not opening the mouth unnecessarily is indeed to prevent microorganisms creeping into the mouth. Excellent precaution against Covid-19. Thinking way ahead of their time. Pasteur and Fleming came late to recognize all that.

Steve Irwin was the "crocodile hunter", the australian animal teaser who got stung by a Stingray. He was asking for it when he got it. Some say he had already spent all his 9 lives when he met that stingray.

The great powers needed preservatives for meat, so that their armies can carry deadmeat in their backpacks and march long distances. They went sailing around the world looking for Spices (Garam-Masala) that would preserve meat so well, that a soldier can eat his own shoe with the right kind of spices sprinkled on it in a barbeque. Ghengis Khan who conquered the most, had the most innovative way to carry meat. He let his soldiers ride on them. All the horses that died on that day of battle were barbequed for the dinner. No wonder he conquered cold countries (where few days old meat is also good), instead of coming to seek spices in hot places.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    SuiDhaaga likes this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

Unfortunately humans in Kali Yuga have no choice but to eat meat.

There are wars and soldiers are fed meat so they become stronger and aggressive.

In Satya Yuga, all of God's creatures live together in Harmony.

5. SuiDhaaga

Sometimes there is wisdom in ancient practices and traci

Oh, it was a stingray.

Thank you for this history tid-bit.

Soldier eat his own shoe? Well with right spices and cooking, one can eat anything.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Why are humans forced to eat meat? Over a billion people on this planet are vegetarian and vegan for their entire lives.

Mistt and SuiDhaaga like this.
  7. SuiDhaaga

Some people have health issues. My aunt wanted to stay vegetarian but all the veggies were not enough for her. She eats chicken if I'm not mistaken.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

But many other people are fine without meat.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

They are fortunate.

10. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Humans being the more intelligent species have to take care of animals. Atleast not torture them.
    The ever increasing human population encroaching the forests, where will the wildlife go?
    Animals are then killed for running into fields.
    An incident happened in kerala few months ago.
    A pregnant elephant ate a pineapple laced with explosives. Her trunk and mouth blew off. She ran around the village for 2 weeks in pain. No human being helped her. Still she never trampled any houses or people. Then died standing in a river.
    Pineapples with firecrackers are kept in fields to kill wild boars which destroy crops.
    Then again Aren't killing of wild boars wrong ? Don't they feel pain.

SuiDhaaga likes this.